Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anywhere nice between Gold Coast and Brissy?

Anywhere nice between Gold Coast and Brissy?

Old Jul 29th 2008, 8:58 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default Anywhere nice between Gold Coast and Brissy?

Hello all,

The OH is an avid surfer and I'm a bean counter. We've agreed it's fair to shift somewhere nearer to the city (he currently lives in Gold Coast) so I don't make 3 hour commutes a day and hate him for it. Therefore we're on the lookout for a nice place that fits the following criteria:

a) Is near (preferably walking distance) a beach with surf
b) Is within a half hour commute from Brisbane

Anyone has any suggestions? We're not sure if we'll be buying or renting at the moment though.

Thanks heaps for any kind of help.

Janice
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice
Default Re: Anywhere nice between Gold Coast and Brissy?

do they still have the wave pool at Jindalee Waterpark?

I lived in Brisbane for 8 years and there is no surf within an hours drive. Small issue of Moreton Bay to get around. The only thing I can think of is Bribie Island but that would involve a drive to Caboolture and then the train for a45 mins to the City which is probably no better than the Gold Coast and a hell of lot quieter to boot!.

We used to drive to Jacobs Well and then put the boat in the water and head for the beach from there for a surf and fish.

What type of Bean Counter ? There are plenty of jobs on the Goldie these days - all of the big firms have offices there.

Goat
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

If you work southside it'll take you around 1hour to get to work (depending where in the gold coast you are, obviously)- i work in acacia ridge and travel from oxenford - takes me 40-45mins door to door (start at 8am). We are moving to varsity lakes and that takes 20 mins longer, so a longish commute but certainly not 3 hours?? Personally, i am happy to commute to be nearer the ocean...and all the coast has to offer

Half an hour commute + surfbeaches don't exist.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:35 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Hello Sammyg and Goat (Baaaa!),

Thanks guys. Looks like the 3 hour commutes (2 ways, not one!) are inevitable. I'm working for the Big 4... I called and they only have satellite offices there. It's easier to look for work in Brissy. Thing is, one of the reasons I'm immigrating is avoid traffic (both human and vehicle). Hmmmm. Maybe if we shift to Southport or Surfer's? That would shave 20 min off each way. I think.

Janice
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

I'd say look at Robina. We are about 4 min drive to motorway, so it takes roughly the same time to drive from Brisbane to Southport/Surfers as it does to Robina, since roads from the motorway to either of these places are more congested. Just a thought...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janicebks
Thing is, one of the reasons I'm immigrating is avoid traffic (both human and vehicle). Hmmmm. Maybe if we shift to Southport or Surfer's? That would shave 20 min off each way. I think.
Erm, if you want to avoid traffic, human and vehicle, then I wouldn't move to Southport or Surfers. Both areas have lots of traffic (both kinds)!!!! Sorry!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:34 am
Hopeful Idealist

Sa2uk2oz, with the scary price of fuel, I think I'd rather take the train! Thanks for your suggestion though.

Stella, you're right, I guess somewhere near-ish there?

Does anyone know of any places up in the North side? All the options discussed are on the South I believe. Thanks.

Janice
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi again Janice
Coomera Waters has lots of expats living there, and has a train station, but then you are about 20 min drive to the beach.My friend takes the train every day into the city, around a 55 min commute. You could also try Helensvale, which is the next station on the rail line down from Coomera.( but again approx 20 mins to the beach) I think a daily return to Brisbane from Helensvale will cost you around $18? so it will work out cheaper than driving, as parking is also expensive in Brissie. Good luck.
Southport and Surfer's don't have rail stations by the way.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Sa2uk2oz, with the scary price of fuel, I think I'd rather take the train! Thanks for your suggestion though.

Stella, you're right, I guess somewhere near-ish there?

Does anyone know of any places up in the North side? All the options discussed are on the South I believe. Thanks.

Janice
Hi Janice. Ormeau would be another option I guess, northside. I live there, and we're basically about 1/2 way between Gold Coast and Brisbane. About a 45-60 minute commute to Brisbane on the train and probably about 30 minutes or so to the nearest surf beaches down at Surfers/Broadbeach.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

i assume you mean north of the gold coast but still south of brisbane.

The problem you'll have is that there are islands off the coast from Southport spit north which effectively block any wave action on the coast. So unless you have a boat its a bit difficult to go surfing without driving back to southport. Your other half will probably want to be on the south side of surfers anyway if he wants surf - best beaches are down that way.

Robina sounds like a good compromise if there is one! You've got the train and its pretty close to the beaches north or south.

If you are looking at north of brissy then really you need to go to at least caloundra and then there is no convienent train.

Have you thought about Sydney or Newcastle ? Its certainly better setup geographically for what you want. Surf and City n all...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:12 pm
Hopeful Idealist

Sa2uk2oz - Helensvale sounds good. Though I believe there's a monthly pass thing you can get to save on the fares. I believe it would be about AUD300 or so.

Sassie - So that's how you spell it! Lol. My friend's aunt lives there and all this while I kept thinking it was spelt "Ohmo". I've heard good things about it; is the property dear though?

Goat - I thought about Sydney and Newcastle, but I had to bribe/ threaten/ nag the OH to move 30 minutes nearer to the city. Imagine what I would have to try to get him to shift to another state. -_- Anyway, I like cities but I find that when it's too big (and congested), it just feels like you never left at all, you know?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Sa2uk2oz - Helensvale sounds good. Though I believe there's a monthly pass thing you can get to save on the fares. I believe it would be about AUD300 or so.

Sassie - So that's how you spell it! Lol. My friend's aunt lives there and all this while I kept thinking it was spelt "Ohmo". I've heard good things about it; is the property dear though?

Goat - I thought about Sydney and Newcastle, but I had to bribe/ threaten/ nag the OH to move 30 minutes nearer to the city. Imagine what I would have to try to get him to shift to another state. -_- Anyway, I like cities but I find that when it's too big (and congested), it just feels like you never left at all, you know?
Hi Janice. You wait til you hear how some of the locals pronouce it!!!. We live in Jacobs Ridge in Ormeau and I would say that property would be pretty much on a par with other housing estates in the area, although if you can afford it, it is a pretty popular place to live, with blocks of land being almost sold out. Ormeau itself is quite spread out. There are 3 main housing estates, and a few rural properties in between. If you need to know anything else, let me know.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:18 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

The OH is an avid surfer and I'm a bean counter. We've agreed it's fair to shift somewhere nearer to the city (he currently lives in Gold Coast) so I don't make 3 hour commutes a day and hate him for it. Therefore we're on the lookout for a nice place that fits the following criteria:

a) Is near (preferably walking distance) a beach with surf
b) Is within a half hour commute from Brisbane

Anyone has any suggestions? We're not sure if we'll be buying or renting at the moment though.

Thanks heaps for any kind of help.

Janice
For starters, rule out Logan.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 10:46 am
Hopeful Idealist

Sassie - Sounds quite promising! We're looking for some acrerage (did I spell that right?), about half an acre? But would it still be close to the beach?

DunRoaminTheUK - Hahah. That's what the OH always says. I picture it to be full of inbred mutants.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sassie - Sounds quite promising! We're looking for some acrerage (did I spell that right?), about half an acre? But would it still be close to the beach?

DunRoaminTheUK - Hahah. That's what the OH always says. I picture it to be full of inbred mutants.
If you are looking for acreage then it would probably be worth checking out some of the properties in Ormeau, or even Windaroo which is just a little further inland, some lovely acreage properties there, but unfortunately about 30-40 minutes to the surf beaches down on the gold coast. We often go down to Jacobs Well, about 10 minutes away, which is the main gateway to Stradbroke Island, no surf there unfortunately, but still a nice place to go to just chill out.