Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyones kids getting ready for the NSW Selection tests?

Anyones kids getting ready for the NSW Selection tests?

Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Anyones kids getting ready for the NSW Selection tests?

My son is in year 5 and has been invited to take the selection tests next year... just wondered if anyone else is going through this process.

I've looked through the tests - similar to the 11+ in the UK.

BUT the general ability does include questions on australian culture - so will make a comment about his lack of australian culture knowledge on the application forms - hopefully they will allow dispensation as I know they do for Aboriginal kids and non native english speaking kids who have lived in AU for less than 4 years.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyones kids getting ready for the NSW Selection tests?

Originally Posted by homewardbound
hopefully they will allow dispensation as I know they do for Aboriginal kids and non native english speaking kids who have lived in AU for less than 4 years.
Would have thought that'd be the case. Bit harsh to expect him to know the ins and outs of Australian life after a short period of time.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyones kids getting ready for the NSW Selection tests?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Although the test is important, the report he gets from the school makes up a substantial part of the final "score" If he is bright and an excellent student in school with a good track record he will be fine. It's not worth stressing over either, they are not hard tests as such, but they challenge students to think out of the box a bit. Also, you need to visit your local selective high school to see whether that is the kind of environment you want for your child. My daughter got a place in a year 5 selective placement and we decided not to take it up. It was just all academic and not much of anything else. The kids were very competitive - which can be good, but this was just extreme.

We decided to do the scholarship tests for private schools rather than the selective schools tests. We wanted a more rounded education, rather than one based purely on academics. However, your local selective school may offer that, ours didn't.

Good luck to your son.

Love

Rudi
x