Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone who doesnt work stupid hours in Oz?

Wikiposts

Anyone who doesnt work stupid hours in Oz?

Old Jun 15th 2003, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Anyone who doesnt work stupid hours in Oz?

This board is really giving me second thoughts. I was hoping for an improvement in lifestyle, so far Ive been offered an identical job to my UK one at a third of the money and the likelyhood of doing upto 50% more hours!!!!.

Has anyone moved and enjoying their new job and not having to "live" at work???.

p.s. No smart comments from all you lucky retired folks please!.
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

willywh3r3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also in your situation right now.

I hate to see this happening to me. I have spent so much money for the immi application and to find out that things are not as expected.

Why do I want to move to a place which offers worse environment than my current situation.

Not to mention, the price for housing keep skyrocketing. Latest news is that even before the interest rate is reduced, loan rates have been slashed by the banks. You can expect, the house price will go up again - beyond my reach (and maybe all of us).

I certainly do not want to be burdened by another huge mortgage loan again. Not again!
Old Jun 15th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it may mean writing off some money spent in preparing for the move, it is not too late to stay in the UK until you are getting on the plane. Do not listen to all the crap about "you will regret if you do not go". You may regret going - I know several who did. Regret does not work one way.
Old Jun 15th 2003, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Not me - it's 9.00pm and I have taken a break from working to post (the connection here is a lot faster than it is at home).I'll be here for at least another hour.

Not sure if you read my post about "Working Conditions in Oz" but if not that's my experience.
Old Jun 15th 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi Sunlover,

Yes, it was your post which prompted me to make this thread.

Anyone out thre doing "reasonable hours"??????.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:02 am
agwa

I get paid a bit more here and work the same hours...

Don't worry, check out www.seek.com.au

Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:07 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by agwa
I get paid a bit more here and work the same hours...

Don't worry, check out www.seek.com.au
agwa,

Can i ask what area of work your in?

Cheers

Pete.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:16 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone who doesnt work stupid hours in Oz?

Originally posted by 65 million

Has anyone moved and enjoying their new job and not having to "live" at work???.
We have been here a few months now and my husband use to work around 45-50 hours in the UK. Now he's doing 38 hours a week but the pay is very low! (He's a Wood machinist and CNC Operator) He's on a 3 month trial which ends soon and his wages may go up ? If not then he will have to take up a part time job at the weekends just so we have enough money to live on!!
I can't seem to get work and have had to take a part time job which is Sat and Sunday mornings 6.30am till 10.30am!! To top it all the house prices have gone up in some areas by at least $30,000 since we arrived in March. If they go up much more before we buy we will have a bigger mortgage than in the UK and over a longer period! We had about 14 years left on our home in the UK but may have to have a mortgage for 30 years here??!!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 12:18 am
agwa

Not the nobelist of professions but it's marketing

Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:11 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

This board is really giving me second thoughts. I was hoping for an improvement in lifestyle, so far Ive been offered an identical job to my UK one at a third of the money and the likelyhood of doing upto 50% more hours!!!!.

Every job is different I guess. I am an accountant and in the UK I work a regular 8am to 7pm day and get paid handsomly. In Sydney I found myself tip-toeing out of the office at 8.30pm to 9pm on a good day and spent many a late night trying to satisfy the excessive demands of bully boy Aussie clients, commonly until 1am or 2am and even all night on a number of occasions. And accountants are paid very poorly in comparison to the UK, even allowing for cost of living.
But, not all jobs or all companies are the same. My wife worked in Sydney (in purchasing) and she found barely enough work to fill the hours of 9 to 5 and she felt that most people were dragging out their work. Basically she felt the people she worked with were the laziest people she has ever encountered (and she has worked in Prague, London, Zurich and Sydney).
So there you go, husband and wife have completely the opposite work place experience in Sydney. I dont think you can really generalise, except that salaries are rubbish there compared to living costs. You've just got to hope you stike lucky on the job front and if you do find yourself working longer hours than in the UK for bugger all money, get out there and try to find a better job.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I leave home at 07:15 in the morning and get home at about 06:15 at night, which includes 1 1/2 hour traveling by bus. I generally finish about 03:00 one day to bring my hours to about 42 per week.

It's not a staggeringly exciting job (but pays well for oz), I do IT support. It's the worst job I've had since comming to Oz and NZ, but I'm only doing it for another 3 months before I take off around Australia.
One problem I had when I came to NZ 10 years ago was that the work I did in UK just didn't exist down here and so I had to virtualy start again from the bottom.

Even so I wouldn't do anything differently, for me it's worked and I've no regrets.

Most of the people who succeed in moving down under find far to much to do with their time than post on here only to be verbally abused by loosers and no hopers who move hasn't worked out and try and blame everyone but themselves.

You will very rarely find me on this site in the evening and week ends as their is too much else to do, but during the day at work that is a different ball game.

Then I will correct the gross distortions that some members post on this valueable information source.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 1:20 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

If you vote for Perth 12 hours a day 7 days a week are on offer in the biggest industry here which is mining.
The rule of thumb is you will work longer hours for less and get less in benefits its the Australian way.

Old Jun 16th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Most of the people who succeed in moving down under find far to much to do with their time than post on here only to be verbally abused by loosers and no hopers who move hasn't worked out and try and blame everyone but themselves.

You will very rarely find me on this site in the evening and week ends as their is too much else to do, but during the day at work that is a different ball game.

Then I will correct the gross distortions that some members post on this valueable information source.
You are Kevin Bloody Wilson? I am retired so I have time to post. I have retired from full time work and am a family man.
You are a single backpacker with no kids, no wife, and no worries and you have nothing of value to say to the family people who look for advice here. You are happy with 3 month contracts and cannot wait to get out of it - how typical is that of people emigrating to Oz or NZ who are in long trousers?
Let me guess that you would recommend that they buy a skateboard and a playstation too?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good job. It's I.T. software application support.

Money is O.K. I start at 9.00am & leave at 4.50 and have 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch when I usually go to the gym or circuit training.

My boss is a really gool bloke and there is no stress and I don't have to work too hard.

The best bit is it's a government job, so PB and Wilf are paying me...

Thanks lads!
Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:09 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
I have a good job. It's I.T. software application support.

Money is O.K. I start at 9.00am & leave at 4.50 and have 1 hour 15 minutes for lunch when I usually go to the gym or circuit training.

My boss is a really gool bloke and there is no stress and I don't have to work too hard.

The best bit is it's a government job, so PB and Wilf are paying me...

Thanks lads!
Another mouth to feed , is there no bugger creating wealth here bar the few like me who are taxed till it hurts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.