Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Swiftel ADSL

Anyone using Swiftel ADSL

Old Nov 24th 2003, 8:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone using Swiftel ADSL

Is anyone out there using Swiftel ADSL http://www.swiftel.com.au/. I had a look on the whirlpool forums (www.whirlpool.net.au) and the consensus is clear as mud on all the ISPs. The only thing I could tell is my current ISP (TPG) is not one of the better providers.

The reason I am looking at swiftel is they offer a fixed IP (something us techies like) and 10 gigs a month for $60 on 256/64 kbs service.

And for those in the UK the broadband service here is still in the dark ages.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-isp.cfm?id=129

Last edited by bondipom; Nov 24th 2003 at 8:17 am.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 8:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you I'm afraid Bondipom, but it gives me a chance to say - never mind broadband, even the dial-up service is in the dark ages compared to the same in the UK! Come back BT, all is forgiven (and I never ever expected to hear myself say that!)
Old Nov 24th 2003, 8:44 am

Originally posted by Pollyana
Can't help you I'm afraid Bondipom, but it gives me a chance to say - never mind broadband, even the dial-up service is in the dark ages compared to the same in the UK! Come back BT, all is forgiven (and I never ever expected to hear myself say that!)
You are right there. Constant disconnections and charges for each connection. Telstra makes BT look good.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone using Swiftel ADSL

I see they don't even provide a service to SA. Shame as they (Swiftel) looked cheaper than Bigpond at the moment
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:05 pm
owieb

Originally posted by bondipom
Is anyone out there using Swiftel ADSL http://www.swiftel.com.au/. I had a look on the whirlpool forums (www.whirlpool.net.au) and the consensus is clear as mud on all the ISPs. The only thing I could tell is my current ISP (TPG) is not one of the better providers.

The reason I am looking at swiftel is they offer a fixed IP (something us techies like) and 10 gigs a month for $60 on 256/64 kbs service.

And for those in the UK the broadband service here is still in the dark ages.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-isp.cfm?id=129
I switched from iiNet to Swiftel last month, mainly because trying to call iiNet was near impossible, many times I spent over 30 mins on hold waiting to get through to someone before just giving up. All I wanted to do was move my line from my old house to my new house, but I couldn't speak to anyone to organise it!

Swiftel have been really good. The service was connected in less than 5 days and has so far been really reliable. I went for the 1500/256 and it's tops!

Static IP is a big draw, only thing is they don't have a dialup so if the ADSL is down then you may be stuck.

If you fancy a change then give them a go.

Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

What seems to be the attraction with a static IP? I'd have thought that a dynamic one would be better in so much as hackers find it more difficult to locate you.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 7:27 pm

Originally posted by migrantoz
What seems to be the attraction with a static IP? I'd have thought that a dynamic one would be better in so much as hackers find it more difficult to locate you.
As I said one for the techies. It is like saying come and get me if you can and me fighting them back. I will also set up a web server, mail server, DNS server etc etc for fun.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by migrantoz
Static Ip address are great for people who want to host other services on their network (LAN.) like a server..
But Dynamic are better for security. however if you have your own static ones, you more than likely have some kind of firewall on a seperate pc which will lok aftero your private network.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 7:23 pm

Originally posted by evorobin
I see they don't even provide a service to SA. Shame as they (Swiftel) looked cheaper than Bigpond at the moment
They are a new company so in time SA will make it on their list.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
They are a new company so in time SA will make it on their list.
Bloody hope so Telstra are taking the p***. Bigpond is crap and they're charging the earth for it. 500MB / month then charges. I do that on dialup for petes sake!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:26 pm

Swiftel ADSL ordered and in theory I should have a 256/64 with 5 gigs for $50 a month in a weeks time. Connection fee is $140 and a friend who is with them is getting a $15 credit for recommending me.

I will keep you informed on how it goes.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:32 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

I though Sydney had wireless as well ?
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:38 pm

Originally posted by rapitts
I though Sydney had wireless as well ?
I guess you are not on about radios. What do you mean by wireless?
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I notice some of the services provide x number of gigs of download per month, then charge a higher rate thereafter.

I've got no idea how many megs or even gigs I download per month.

Do these services allow you to monitor how much you're downloading in a month - or do they happily let you rack up the charges if you exceed their nominated limit?
Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:12 pm

Originally posted by young_lad
I notice some of the services provide x number of gigs of download per month, then charge a higher rate thereafter.

I've got no idea how many megs or even gigs I download per month.

Do these services allow you to monitor how much you're downloading in a month - or do they happily let you rack up the charges if you exceed their nominated limit?
It is my biggest gripe about Aussie ISP's. Telstra charge for uploads as well as downloads and have been fleecing customers for over $1000 on a basic plan.

Most ISPs have a web page that will show your usage. On hitting the max they can cut you off, charge per extra meg or shape your connection. Shaping means slowing the speed to that of dial up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.