Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone used BMI for connecting flight?

Anyone used BMI for connecting flight?

Old May 3rd 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Gazza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone used BMI for connecting flight?

Following on from by baggage allowance query.
I called BMI to see if they would allow 40kg baggage (as awarded by Singapore Airlines) for a connecting flight to London before heading to Oz.

They said they couldn't confirm in writing but they that would 'normally allow the same baggage allowance as the outward ticket'
This couldn't be guaranteed however and they might impose a MINIMUM charge of £2.50 per kg over 20kg.
This is far from ideal - I don't fancy getting ripped off at check-in.

Anyone had experience of BMI's policy when checking in baggage > 20kg for a connecting flight.

I could just take a chance and arrive 3 hours before departure before anyone else checks in.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:21 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone used BMI for connecting flight?

Originally posted by Gazza
I called BMI to see if they would allow 40kg baggage (as awarded by Singapore Airlines) for a connecting flight to London before heading to Oz.

They said they couldn't confirm in writing but they that would 'normally allow the same baggage allowance as the outward ticket'
This couldn't be guaranteed however and they might impose a MINIMUM charge of £2.50 per kg over 20kg.

Anyone had experience of BMI's policy when checking in baggage > 20kg for a connecting flight.

I could just take a chance and arrive 3 hours before departure before anyone else checks in.

Thanks
I dont understand why they wont confirm it for you in writing - they either have a policy or they dont surely?? Where are you flying from, perhaps you could give the BMI desk at the airport a call and see what they say?
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:34 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I didnt realise BMI flew long haul
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:38 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
I didnt realise BMI flew long haul

BMI go most places in Europe, major American and Canadian ports - though I think this query was just about a connecting flight

BMIbaby just does Europe.
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:48 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mlbonner
BMI go most places in Europe, major American and Canadian ports - though I think this query was just about a connecting flight

BMIbaby just does Europe.

tHOUGHT SO, DONT KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES, BUT SURELY 1 OPERATOR IS EASIER AND LESS HASSLE !
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Gazza is an unknown quantity at this point

Their policy is that they cannot make guarantees on baggage allowance.
Tried to call the airport but there is just a call centre number.
I might just drive to the airport and ask the check in person what they would do if i was about to check in for the flight.

Cheers
Old May 3rd 2004, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gazza,
Sent you a pm........
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:53 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Their policy is that they cannot make guarantees on baggage allowance.
Tried to call the airport but there is just a call centre number.
I might just drive to the airport and ask the check in person what they would do if i was about to check in for the flight.

Cheers
Let me know how you get on Gazza, we are in the same boat!!! We are travelling from Glasgow to Manchester with BMI and were told that we would need to pay excess baggage, and they could not confirm that the excess baggage would go on the same flight as us

Sooooooooooo we dont know what to do now
Old May 3rd 2004, 8:06 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus: will you have to collect it at the next airport and get it passed through next check-in again?

As opposed to check-in all the way through with one airline for the whole journey or a couple of (say) Star Alliance etc airlines?
Old May 4th 2004, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

montagt is an unknown quantity at this point

We used BMI for a connecting flight from Glasgow to London Heathrow,

I asked at the checkin desk the week before and was told that they would allow it as long as I could fax to them proof that Singapore airlines were allowing the extra baggage and they provided me with the fax number, I called singapore airlines who agreed to fax the letter to BMI for me. I was still concrned when I arrived at the airport but BMI were fine and I do think singapore airlines are the best and most helpful airline I have ever used.

Tom..
Old May 4th 2004, 8:32 am

Originally posted by montagt
We used BMI for a connecting flight from Glasgow to London Heathrow,

I asked at the checkin desk the week before and was told that they would allow it as long as I could fax to them proof that Singapore airlines were allowing the extra baggage and they provided me with the fax number, I called singapore airlines who agreed to fax the letter to BMI for me. I was still concrned when I arrived at the airport but BMI were fine and I do think singapore airlines are the best and most helpful airline I have ever used.

Tom..
Hiya Tom

Did you actually go to the airport and ask? Or did u fone BMI?

Even better do you still have the fax number for them?

Thanks
Heather
Old May 4th 2004, 9:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
tHOUGHT SO, DONT KNOW THE CIRCUMSTANCES, BUT SURELY 1 OPERATOR IS EASIER AND LESS HASSLE !
These days you can never tell who you are flying with. Codeshares everywhere. All the systems are highly integrated.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by biggy
Hiya Tom

Did you actually go to the airport and ask? Or did u fone BMI?

Even better do you still have the fax number for them?

Thanks
Heather
Hi Biggy,

Sorry I didnt reply I only read my email every second day or so. I initially called singapore airlines (Glasgow office) on 0141 204 0656 confirming that they could supply a letter / fax and then they faxed it to BMI on fax number 0141 889 0105. I am sure I also called BMI on 0870 06 1000.

There really was no problem and my wife did the exact same thing 2 weeks later when she flew out.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:28 am

Originally posted by montagt
Hi Biggy,

Sorry I didnt reply I only read my email every second day or so. I initially called singapore airlines (Glasgow office) on 0141 204 0656 confirming that they could supply a letter / fax and then they faxed it to BMI on fax number 0141 889 0105. I am sure I also called BMI on 0870 06 1000.

There really was no problem and my wife did the exact same thing 2 weeks later when she flew out.
Thanks for that mate

Hows your new life downunder?
Old May 10th 2004, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by biggy
Thanks for that mate

Hows your new life downunder?
Hi Heather,

So far so good, when we first arrived here we rented for 2 months and then bought a house in Ocean reef. We just moved in last week and our container arrived the next day. It is very stressful when you move house never mind moving country. Just about managed to get the house in order now.

As for Perth I think it is fantastic, there are things that you have to get used to like no shops being open on Sunday's, which is not easy when you first arrive go to work during the week and then try to buy things at the weekend. Even when I was looking to buy a car, the showrooms/ forecourts are only allowed to trade Saturday morning until 12:30pm.

The weather is starting to get colder and wetter now so we will see how we get on over the coming winter months.

As for now NO REGRETS........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.