Reload this Page >

Anyone thinking of building

Anyone thinking of building

Old May 14th 2003, 9:29 am
Just Joined

bozzy's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone thinking of building

Hi all

Anyone thinking of building their own property in Perth?

We have looked at various properties on the real estate web sites, they all seem fairly expensive to what I thought they would be.

We will be going out in July with about 80k and I don't think that is going to get us too far! I realise we were going to have a mortgage aswell but I thought it would be relativly small.

The areas we are looking at is Ocean Reef and Iluka.

Any thoughts?

Andrea
Old May 14th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Well we have been in Perth for 5 weeks now and have done loads of research:

To build a house in Iluka you are probably talking about 300,000 dollars just for the land. Good areas to build at present are Caramar where you can pick up land for about 98,000 and Brighton beach which is further north than Iluka and costs about 130,000 dollars for the land. Remember you will have to pay stamp duty on this of about 5,000 and costs of ground works.

Go to all the show homes (there are hundreds!!!) you can get a very nice 4 by 2 for between 90 and 140 but remember to budget about 20,000 for flooring ,interior painting and extra lighting and of course garden!!

We have looked at a plot of land in caramar for 100,00
and a house for 120,000 and with a budget of 250,00 have money spare to do interiors and garden.
Remember when you are here it is possible to move in and take time on your garden etc!!

The good thing about building is you only pay stamp duty on the land NOT the whole house and obviously it is exactly to your liking we have decided to go for this option but to take our time and rent.

With your budget it is very possible and good fun but your best bet is to get here and look around you may find a house perfect without doing this.

Hope this helps
PS Stamp duty has just gone up 15% in Perth another good reason to build!!!

Manda
Old May 14th 2003, 10:48 am
Just Joined

bozzy's is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Manda

Thank you so much for the info. I will PM you later, Just off to work.

Andrea