Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Tazmania

Anyone in Tazmania

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

The Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to all
Default Anyone in Tazmania

Hi All

We are currently on the sunshine coast and are thinking of re-locating to Tasmania (Hobart area). We have made quite a lot of phone calls to various companies over in Taz and the feedback for work seems positive and also the people have been so helpful which is a bit of a novelty from what we have experienced on the coast (not everyone by the way). So our questions are: 1) does there seem to be plenty of building / renovation work still going on? 2)how are poms and other immigrants been received? 3) are there plenty of decent rentals available? 4) are there plenty of things to do without having to travel for hour after hour to get there?

We would like honest and up-front replies, as we will need to make a decision whether we give Taz a go or return to the UK, we really dont want to give up on OZ and Tazzy does appeal to us, but we need feedback from people who actually live there or have lived there.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Tazmania

Originally Posted by The Westies
Hi All

We are currently on the sunshine coast and are thinking of re-locating to Tasmania (Hobart area). We have made quite a lot of phone calls to various companies over in Taz and the feedback for work seems positive and also the people have been so helpful which is a bit of a novelty from what we have experienced on the coast (not everyone by the way). So our questions are: 1) does there seem to be plenty of building / renovation work still going on? 2)how are poms and other immigrants been received? 3) are there plenty of decent rentals available? 4) are there plenty of things to do without having to travel for hour after hour to get there?

We would like honest and up-front replies, as we will need to make a decision whether we give Taz a go or return to the UK, we really dont want to give up on OZ and Tazzy does appeal to us, but we need feedback from people who actually live there or have lived there.

Many thanks.
There's a long thread about Tassie here - masses of info from people who've moved down there (lucky gits!)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Fabienne will become famous soon enoughFabienne will become famous soon enough

Hi All

Many thanks.
hello, pack a van and travel around a bit, its really beautiful, the people are lovely and accepting, the best place in Australia for me, have fun
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

The Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to allThe Westies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fabienne
hello, pack a van and travel around a bit, its really beautiful, the people are lovely and accepting, the best place in Australia for me, have fun
In the ideal world we would love to do that, but needs must and we have to earn money, we have heard the people are realy good from other people.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

In the ideal world we would love to do that, but needs must and we have to earn money, we have heard the people are realy good from other people.
Hi Westie, yes the people are lovely , my O/H is a Tassie , they are laid back, friendly and so helpful. Many mainlanders talk about the cooler weather here but it can be very very warm here also during the summer. Personally I love the seasons, the wood burning in the winters. There is plenty to see and do, its wonderful for children here and a safe island. Houses prices are cheaper here and you get much more value for money. I cant tell you about the construction industry, but our local builder is always busy and he was terrific value for money, he came over from Queensland and loves the life over here. (He is originally a pom and just wanted a quiet life than on the mainland) I can certainly ask him about the industry if you would like. I know when he was working on our rumpus room, he was telling me that some of his Queensland certificates werent valid for Tassie (certain things differ apparently). This information will be easy to find out or again I can ask Paul for you. Poms are very accepted here, there is an abundance of English, Dutch, Surinamese, Lao, Thai., and I have been accepted into the local community very well, but I try to contribute into as well when I am here. Renting in Launceston CBD is around $A250-$500 a month for a 3 bedroomed. Hobart can be around $300 upwards, it depends where you want to be. We have at least three good airports, Hobart, Launceston and Devonport with some really good special deals to the mainland. Shopping is good, but if you are wanting more I love my girlie shopping trips over to mainland Melbourne which is very mutli cutlural for something a bit different.Healthy living, great restaurants, great food, lovely beaches. We have had 4 pommie families from WA follow is over here and they would never look back. If I can help you at all please pm me for any further information, I did notice quite a few other people on the Tasmania site and I am sure they would like to contribute as well. Best wishes Fabienne
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:41 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

We were originally thinking of moving to Tassie. We spent three weeks there travelling around in our camper van and saw some great places, but with my other half being an ardent greenie, she said she would find it hard to live there without her being permanently chained to a big old tree somewhere.

Some of our highlights:

1) Bumper sticker - "I (heart) my chainsaw"

2) Another bumper sticker "If there's a tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

3) Going into a little supermarket on the outskirts of Hobart and have a three year old girl throw tins of baked beans at me, while the shop-owner (her grandfather) laughs....
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:24 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
We were originally thinking of moving to Tassie. We spent three weeks there travelling around in our camper van and saw some great places, but with my other half being an ardent greenie, she said she would find it hard to live there without her being permanently chained to a big old tree somewhere.

Some of our highlights:

2) Another bumper sticker "If there's a tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

3) Going into a little supermarket on the outskirts of Hobart and have a three year old girl throw tins of baked beans at me, while the shop-owner (her grandfather) laughs....
may I ask did you have any postitve interactions with anyone over here? quite honesty your 'highlights' could have happened in many mainland areas too.

plenty of Greenies live in Tas as they feel strongly about their cause, unfortunatley logging and clear felling does not only happen here. 70% of Victoria's native bushland has been cleared

http://www.wilderness.org.au/article...ntry-victoria2

must admit I love the tourist sticker though, must keep an eye out for that one
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Some of our highlights:

I agree with Possums. You are of course entitled to your views, but I am surrounded by greenies yoghart knitting, plastic thong wearing organic farmers and love the place. Everyone has a place in my adopted land apart from the whingers! Hope the baked bean athelite chose organic beans, there isnt a day when I say thank you Van Diemens Land!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:14 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabienne
I agree with Possums. You are of course entitled to your views, but I am surrounded by greenies yoghart knitting, plastic thong wearing organic farmers and love the place. Everyone has a place in my adopted land apart from the whingers! Hope the baked bean athelite chose organic beans, there isnt a day when I say thank you Van Diemens Land!
now now
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

leofricfb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Many thanks.
hi!
I would thoroughly reccomend you to move to Tassie, certainly in preference to moving back to the UK! The weather is good and there are so many things to see and do and all so easy to get to (with a car). If you like outdoors and nature you will be in heavan and much of the best stuff to see and do is free, like driving the winding road all the way to the summit of Mt Wellington and taking in the panoramic spectacular views!
Anyway, hope you make the right decision... best wishes, Leo
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:56 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Some of our highlights:

Bad taste considering the worlds worst gun massacre 35 dead happened in Tasmania with most of the dead being tourists..

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 23rd 2009 at 12:03 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:01 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Tasmania probably has the best scenery in OZ, green countryside, ruggard mountains and coastline, large rivers , great for outdoors stuff, half the state is national parks, it hardly ever gets too hot like the mainland, it has the cleanest least polluted air anywhere in the world and it has affordable housing and the lowest crime rate in OZ. Downside is being an island may feel cut off from the rest of OZ and the world and because a small population half a million less jobs and employment opportunities.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 23rd 2009 at 12:05 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have sent you a pm.

Sam
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:54 am
(^v^)

Originally Posted by mohogony
Bad taste considering the worlds worst gun massacre 35 dead happened in Tasmania with most of the dead being tourists..
wow that incident never even entered my head, just shows how people read things differently

Originally Posted by mohogony
Tasmania probably has the best scenery in OZ, green countryside, ruggard mountains and coastline, large rivers , great for outdoors stuff, half the state is national parks, it hardly ever gets too hot like the mainland, it has the cleanest least polluted air anywhere in the world and it has affordable housing and the lowest crime rate in OZ. Downside is being an island may feel cut off from the rest of OZ and the world and because a small population half a million less jobs and employment opportunities.
where abouts in Tas are you? the heat always thing makes me laugh, I remember going to europe when I was young and 80-90f was hot certainly got burnt enough being stupid and naive, yet we are constantly told its cold here. so it seems unless its late 30s to 40's its not hot

Last edited by Possums; Mar 23rd 2009 at 1:01 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:50 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Possums
may I ask did you have any postitve interactions with anyone over here? quite honesty your 'highlights' could have happened in many mainland areas too.

Absolutely! Met some fantastic people in Tassie. We found all different sorts of locals from the most welcoming & friendly to the slightly worrying - but the vast majority were great.

My OH was disturbed when we visited some of the old growth forests outside Hobart. We saw how they'd bull-dozed a track into the middle of the forest and were preparing to log it, and we talked to some of the protesters who were living in a small camp there. They were telling us how they had been particularly trying to save this one really old tree and sometimes slept in the branches, and were waiting for a decision from the local council, when the loggers came in one night and just dynamited it. Luckily no-one was alseep in the branches at the time, otherwise they'd have been killed. The protesters were regularly threatened and we also saw a bumper sticker on a logging truck which said "the only good greenie is a dead one."
That's why my OH said it would break her heart to live in Tassie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.