Reload this Page >

Anyone from Sydney?

Anyone from Sydney?

Old Feb 3rd 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jambo_g
No Problem Kev, I will keep in touch.

Got the old medicals today at 11.00 so at least that will be out of the way soon.

Cheers

Graham

Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 2:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There

I live in St Ives in Sydney (Northern Suburbs) I work in Chatswood. It is important to remember not everbody works in the Central Business District and there are other industrial areas around Sydney, like Chatswood, Paramatta, Olympic Park etc so commuting distance from the centre may not be the only consideration.

Where I live is expensive I know but it suits us very much. I have to travel 20 mins in the morning, a little longer in the evening because I catch a bus part of the way back. I have looked at areas further out and agree there are superb housing and areas to live in but like every decision it comes down to personal choice. We went out to Kellyville and I was horrified, lovely looking and large houses on tiny plots of land horribly crowded. My husband thought they were ok, I love the Gosford area but 2hours commuting means I would not have the same time with my children. And the commitment to travel can depend on the job, very nice if you know you are going to be out the door every night to catch the 5.30 pm but obviously not possible for every worker.

We are near the childrens very good state schools which was another reason for our choice, many children here travel between 30 – 60 mins to come to the high school. There are children in primary school who travel alone on the trains to school, I am not saying anything against that but it would not be my choice for my daughter. There are superb links on direct trains down the North Shore but if you add on buses to that and trying to tie up commuting time it does add up. (Cheaper housing usually not on Train routes).

In case this sounds negative – on the other hand I am having a whale of time in other things – at weekends we travel 20 mins to the beach, 10 mins to a really big outdoor decent pool, we can commute into Sydney for $10.30 return for the whole family of four if we drive the 10 mins to the nearest train station. Free parking.

I agree with most things jambo-g said about the different cites although I have no personal experience of Brisbane or Perth. I was seriously thinking of Melbourne before a decent job transfer brought us here to Sydney.

One the money side – for us although we can eat out less and now find foreign travel expensive, and will have a comparatively larger % of our salaries paying a larger mortgage we are preparing to commit to staying here for the next couple of years. Really enjoy the things we can do here and make the decision about the next few years after that. I believe for me part of the advantages of being in Aus is also being in Sydney, it is live it is vibrant it is a whole new experience and I am enjoying the majority of it.

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi There

I live in St Ives in Sydney (Northern Suburbs) I work in Chatswood. It is important to remember not everbody works in the Central Business District and there are other industrial areas around Sydney, like Chatswood, Paramatta, Olympic Park etc so commuting distance from the centre may not be the only consideration.

Where I live is expensive I know but it suits us very much. I have to travel 20 mins in the morning, a little longer in the evening because I catch a bus part of the way back. I have looked at areas further out and agree there are superb housing and areas to live in but like every decision it comes down to personal choice. We went out to Kellyville and I was horrified, lovely looking and large houses on tiny plots of land horribly crowded. My husband thought they were ok, I love the Gosford area but 2hours commuting means I would not have the same time with my children. And the commitment to travel can depend on the job, very nice if you know you are going to be out the door every night to catch the 5.30 pm but obviously not possible for every worker.

We are near the childrens very good state schools which was another reason for our choice, many children here travel between 30 – 60 mins to come to the high school. There are children in primary school who travel alone on the trains to school, I am not saying anything against that but it would not be my choice for my daughter. There are superb links on direct trains down the North Shore but if you add on buses to that and trying to tie up commuting time it does add up. (Cheaper housing usually not on Train routes).

In case this sounds negative – on the other hand I am having a whale of time in other things – at weekends we travel 20 mins to the beach, 10 mins to a really big outdoor decent pool, we can commute into Sydney for $10.30 return for the whole family of four if we drive the 10 mins to the nearest train station. Free parking.

I agree with most things jambo-g said about the different cites although I have no personal experience of Brisbane or Perth. I was seriously thinking of Melbourne before a decent job transfer brought us here to Sydney.

One the money side – for us although we can eat out less and now find foreign travel expensive, and will have a comparatively larger % of our salaries paying a larger mortgage we are preparing to commit to staying here for the next couple of years. Really enjoy the things we can do here and make the decision about the next few years after that. I believe for me part of the advantages of being in Aus is also being in Sydney, it is live it is vibrant it is a whole new experience and I am enjoying the majority of it.

Cheers
Good to hear from you. I'll check out St Ives. Which state schools are you refering to, I wouldn't mind checking them out? As we'll initially be on a Temporary (4 year) visa, I know some are off limits for us. I've approached some of the private schools already (e.g Shore, Pittwater House in Collaroy), but my (16 year old) son would prefer a co-ed state school to do his highers if at all possible.

I'm not looking at a daily commute into the CBD, more a case of it being relatively accessible for meetings, etc. I'm planning to work from home for at least part of the time.
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 3:40 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I posted you an email, but for General Information I have choosen St Ives High. Killara is supposed to be an excellent school in this area as well. Schools are personal choice, I am impressed with St Ives it has a deaf unit (for my daughter when older hopefully) and streamed ability classes pushing the bright kids as well as a full curriculum of non academic activities. Schools choices can be very subjective. I have not been able to find out league tables as I could in England so I will emphasise I made the choice of school based on my childrens individual needs now and for the future. Now we have got PR I think my son might well want to try out for the selective grammers in and around us, which will mean some travel and swopping to all boys school at Normahurst or Sydney Boys (That is if he gets in!). The school uniforms are very Home and Away and Neighbours here!

Cheers Sandra
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 9:48 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sandra
Hi There

Cheers
You are lucky to work in Chatswood! No crossing the bridge. I am certain there are many things we will miss about Sydney. I agree with you that it has a certain feeling of energy - hard to nail down and maybe driven by the high number of smiling/photo taking tourists. I saw a programme once that claimed that Sydney had amazing feng-shui what with the sunlight, the bridge, the water, the opera house etc etc. I've always been incredibly sceptical about this stuff but after a couple of years here think there maybe something in it!
Old Feb 4th 2003, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Well summed up Sandra. We had a look at Kellyville and thought that was awful as well. Lovely houses but all crammed in. Unfortunately that seems to be the way with most new estates being built now, which is a shame. One of the reasons we chose Cherrybrook was because it is very leafy and loads of parks and things to do for the kids here and good local shopping centres. The primary school, I cannot fault (John Purchase Public School- www.jpps.net ). They don't seem to do league tables here but we have just received a NSW department of education report on our school so maybe if you contacted or emailed the education department they may send you the report for a particular school you are interested in.

Sandra is right when she says Sydney CBD isn't the only place to find work. When my husband first started looking for work he was offered a job in Liverpool, one in St.Leonards and one in Epping. He ended up taking the one in Epping as it was just a 15 minute drive away. He now works in the city as he wanted a change, he bought a motorbike to get to and from work as he sometimes works late and the citybus doesn't run late, he can park his motorbike on the pavement right outside his office and it takes him about 35mins to get there. Yes Sydney is a fantastic city to just wander around and take it all in, I love it!

Mandy