Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is anyone still moving without a job offer

Is anyone still moving without a job offer

Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:12 pm
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of
Default Is anyone still moving without a job offer

I would love to know because this is still stopping my OH from taking the next step.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

bubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nicebubblelou is just really nice
Default Re: Is anyone still moving without a job offer

I moved to Australia without a job offer and only started looking once I got here. I did try briefly to look for one when I was still overseas but didn't get any responses. I think employers/recruiters here will only really look at you once you are on the ground or have a definite landing date. However in saying that, I do know some people who have managed to find jobs from overseas but they were all in the healthcare field.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:48 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

It is a risk and with the horrid exchange rate you'll burn through your sterling very quickly. Alot of people on here are under-employed or struggling financially although i'm also sure some find great jobs in the first week. Depends on what profession you're in, where you're going and what your expectations are - ie, will you do bar work etc to tide yourselves over.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be very hard pressed to get an employer to even talk to you about a job whilst you're overseas, let alone be offered it.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:01 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Thank you for your replies
Old Oct 26th 2011, 12:53 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAK
Thank you for your replies
What sort of thing do you do? What visa are you on? Where are you aiming for and what are you expecting? ( ie, buy a house / save etc)

With more information we'd be happy to give our opinions on how risky/rewarding a move would be.......
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAK
I would love to know because this is still stopping my OH from taking the next step.
Yes, we are!!

Our visa runs out in February so it is now or never for us.
We are a family of four moving to the Sunshine Coast in January.
We will do any kind of work to tide us over.
You only have one life and I would sooner experience what I can than kicking myself in 10 years time that we should have at least tried it.

Last edited by joeyb; Oct 26th 2011 at 7:58 am. Reason: grammar
Old Oct 26th 2011, 8:56 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joeyb
Yes, we are!!

Our visa runs out in February so it is now or never for us.
We are a family of four moving to the Sunshine Coast in January.
We will do any kind of work to tide us over.
You only have one life and I would sooner experience what I can than kicking myself in 10 years time that we should have at least tried it.
Our PR visa runs out in October 2013 so still some time to go yet. We tried to sell our house but no luck with that (it was priced for the market in the area we live I have read all the remarks on here regarding reducing etc). We are now again thinking of renting if we do go. What you are doing is what I would love to do but OH weighs everything up and is worried about not finding a job when we get there. Good luck to you all
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Yes, I am.

Planning on moving to Melbourne in February without a job in place or anywhere else in the lucky country if I'm fortunate to get a job before I come. I'm actively looking within the banking sector but as has been said, many employers or job agents aren't entirely interested until you're there.

I'm sure they've been stung by many applicants previously who have said they were coming by a certain date and then their plans changed.

I'm pretty worried about coming without a job but if I have to search for work by day and work in bars at night to help preserve my savings and future in Australia, then I've no problem with that. As one poster said, it is all about expectations. I'd rather face some financial struggles in the short term to have a long term future in Australia. I've got plenty years left in me so I'm up for the challenge.

Many people find change and uncertainty very difficult and perhaps your OH is feeling this, understandably so, given the thought of arriving without a job. But I'm sure it will all work out for you both in the end if you give it a try.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

bogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to all

Finding a job from overseas is possible but it depends on the skill. It's all down to how many local candidates are on the market.

I started looking for a job 4 weeks ago and so far I had interviews with 5 different employers. I declined 2 job offers and I'm still in process with the other 3 companies. It is important to note that all of these jobs were advertised by the employers directly.

My advice is to give it a try for a few weeks, see what happens and you will then be in the position to make the best decision for yourselves.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:46 am
Sav
Just Joined

Sav will become famous soon enough

My wife, son and I will be heading off to Tassie once we get my visa through. Neither my wife nor I will have jobs when we land and it's not a huge issue for us at all. Mind, my wife is originally from Tassie so we'll not have any issues about where to live etc. when we get there as we'll be moving in with one of her brothers.

My wife will probably find it easier than me to find work so I may be a stay-at-home Dad for a bit.

As my wife says, 'we'll be right'

Old Oct 26th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You'd be very hard pressed to get an employer to even talk to you about a job whilst you're overseas, let alone be offered it.
I got two Skype interviews for jobs in Australia whilst in the UK, I applied for around 50 though

Both interviews were in the middle of the night which wasn't much fun.

I did well in both interviews and completed a few tests and was offered a job with a TWO WEEK start date!!!!!! Was mixed emotions when we got the news, fantastic I have a job offer, but then we still had a rental in the UK with loads of stuff still to pack up!!!! That was the most stressful two weeks of my life!

I landed in Australia on the Friday afternoon and started work on the Monday morning.

So it is possible. You just need a bit of luck.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

bogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jon77
Both interviews were in the middle of the night which wasn't much fun.
I managed to arrange all my interviews for 6.30 or 7 AM UK time so far, just before going to work. I agree that middle of the night interviews are not fun and I'd try to avoid them if possible. The employers are usually flexible.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Bogdan84, you're in IT which I understand is easier when seeking jobs from overseas (depending on which technical skills you have).

I'm principally in banking...and there is no shortage of bankers in Australia.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Green Grass
Bogdan84, you're in IT which I understand is easier when seeking jobs from overseas (depending on which technical skills you have).

I'm principally in banking...and there is no shortage of bankers in Australia.
Well, yes, as I said it depends on the profession. The OP hasn't yet told us what the OH is doing for a living, it could be IT or something else that is in demand. Or not. My point was that if the job is in demand it's worth trying to line up a job before making the move to Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.