Anyone scared?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Donnadownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone scared?

Hi there everyone, my husband and I and the kids have done some really serious thinking and we believe that going to oz is the best thing for us. The trouble is I am feeling really scared about all sorts of things like saying goodbye to my family and friends to thew point that I feel sick when I think about it. Is this normal and if so, how on earth can you overcome it so we can get on and start our new lives downunder?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:45 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone scared?

Only just about everyone on here Donna. Don't worry you are not alone. It may be the right thing to do but that doesn't stop it being scary.

The best way through it, is to become addicted to this site as well as the lifestyle forum. This is easily done, you will soon find yourself checking threads and posts every time you walk past the computer.

The forum is full of people who have been there, done it, got the t shirt, seen the film as well as those who have only just thought of doing it. Any problems, just shout.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:49 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donnadownunder
Hi there everyone, my husband and I and the kids have done some really serious thinking and we believe that going to oz is the best thing for us. The trouble is I am feeling really scared about all sorts of things like saying goodbye to my family and friends to thew point that I feel sick when I think about it. Is this normal and if so, how on earth can you overcome it so we can get on and start our new lives downunder?
Yes I think we are all pretty scared when it comes to telling parents & friends..... personally my fear is that i will make them feel rejected or think that i don't need them anymore...

My parents were divorced when I was small and my aunt (dads sister) played a large role in my upbringing - she has a hell of a lot of animosity towards my mum who remarried & moved out to Aus. Because of this, whenever I raise the subject of Aus she immediately starts slating my Mum... I think I am most dreading telling my Aunt... I know she will say "oh god why are you doing that I think? you are stupid don't waste your life, etc, etc" I need to somehow make her understand that this move to Aus is THE best opportunity for me & my family........ I need to make her understand that I will only be a flight or a phone call away....... I need to make her understand that I am not that little girl anymore.......

You know what I mean?

Yes its hard
Yes its painful

but at the end of the day, you have to think what is best for you & yours.....
don't make a decision based on guilt as you will come to regret it in the future & may end up blaming that one person who you stayed for....

Claire
xxxxx
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:49 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Only just about everyone on here Donna. Don't worry you are not alone. It may be the right thing to do but that doesn't stop it being scary.

The best way through it, is to become addicted to this site as well as the lifestyle forum. This is easily done, you will soon find yourself checking threads and posts every time you walk past the computer.

The forum is full of people who have been there, done it, got the t shirt, seen the film as well as those who have only just thought of doing it. Any problems, just shout.

Ditto :scared:
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anyone scared?

I'm just scared I will not get past the TRA and have to wait another 2 years!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire

I agree with you 110%, we are doing it for our children's future, as we think they will have a better start in life in Oz, than what the UK currently has to offer. From my experience in Australia, it seems more family orientated (I hope I am correct on that one)!

One thing, our circumstances are so similar. My Dad moved to Oz with my Stepmum and brother and sister.

My Mum is over in the UK. Her reaction has been hellish. My Mum thinks I am deserting her to go and live near my Dad.....

Like you said we have to think about our Children but try and ease the pain for those left behind.

Listen to me, we haven't even passed our TRA yet, anyone would think we were on the next plane out!

To the original poster, it is a roller coaster of emotions, but you need to stay stong and when one partner is down the other one needs to remain positive.

Good luck.

Nikki
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Anglo/Irish Family is an unknown quantity at this point

And I thought it was just me...!! Just joined the site and wished to God I had found out about this forum months ago. Hopefully, we're very near the end of this hellish process. Bond lodged a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully we should hear something soon. My CO doesn't seem to keen on e-mails, so we'll have to wait for snail mail. My "guilt" story is a little bit different. We've decided to move to the Gold Coast to be near my brother, who was adopted as a baby. My Mam and Dad were only 16 when he was born, but went on to marry and have three more children (including me). They found him about four years ago and I think he's still overawed to have three full siblings (two brothers and a sister) that he didn't know about. He came here to Ireland for a visit three years ago and we went to see him in 2003 - that's when the love affair with Oz began. So of course I think my parents feel that they've found their eldest son again, only for their only daughter to go to be with him. Maybe they feel its their comeuppance for having him adopted - Catholic guilt and all that! It took them months to come to terms with the fact that we had applied for the visa and I think they're dreading the day we get the nod. I agree with everyone else though - you cannot live your life for other people and your gut tells you if its the right thing to do. Having said that, I'm absolutely scared to death, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we get the grant. Fingers crossed!!!
Michelle
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Originally Posted by Anglo/Irish Family
And I thought it was just me...!! Just joined the site and wished to God I had found out about this forum months ago. Hopefully, we're very near the end of this hellish process. Bond lodged a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully we should hear something soon. My CO doesn't seem to keen on e-mails, so we'll have to wait for snail mail. My "guilt" story is a little bit different. We've decided to move to the Gold Coast to be near my brother, who was adopted as a baby. My Mam and Dad were only 16 when he was born, but went on to marry and have three more children (including me). They found him about four years ago and I think he's still overawed to have three full siblings (two brothers and a sister) that he didn't know about. He came here to Ireland for a visit three years ago and we went to see him in 2003 - that's when the love affair with Oz began. So of course I think my parents feel that they've found their eldest son again, only for their only daughter to go to be with him. Maybe they feel its their comeuppance for having him adopted - Catholic guilt and all that! It took them months to come to terms with the fact that we had applied for the visa and I think they're dreading the day we get the nod. I agree with everyone else though - you cannot live your life for other people and your gut tells you if its the right thing to do. Having said that, I'm absolutely scared to death, but we'll cross that bridge if and when we get the grant. Fingers crossed!!!
Michelle
At times, I'm absolutely petrified, as I'm sure everyone is if they are honest. However, most of the time I am looking forward to getting out there and giving it a go. I'm afraid there is no easy answer or miracle cure to your fear and apprehension. The only way is to do it. The only thing I can imagine that is worse, is NOT doing it, and then regretting it for the rest of my life. Give it a go. It's a day's flight out there, a days flight back. The UK won't disappear whilst you're away ;-) (Although I can't guarantee that!! :-))
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Very well-said. I agree completely.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

me scared - nO!
petrified!
I broke into tears at the med request, will shite myself if we ever get this visa, however I am too scared to contiplate it
Hope that makes sense! Tara
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:05 pm
Are we nearly there yet?

Buzby is an unknown quantity at this point

Terrified...nothing more, nothing less!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

As I get closer and closer those thoughts come into my head...and I wont be moving until March next year (validation trip this June).

Havent thought how to deal with it except install Messenger with audio and webcam facilities on the parents computer.

SS
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

We have about 6 weeks before we go and I am completely petrified. I have seen others at the 6 week stage also the same so at least I know its normal.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh need wine
aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :scared: :scared:

Nat
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:37 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems everyone has been or still are at that stage :scared:

We have planned our move for the last 18 monthes and Mr D has just informed me that he isnt sure anymore.....people keep reassuring me that its just cold feet so at the moment we are carrying on with our plans. No doubt i may have those fears in the near future too.

Its a natural progression to be scared..........to move your comfortable and routinish ( is that a word) life....to a life of uncertainty and ' will it work' .....
'will we be happy'

But you will never know unless you try it.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:45 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

heres a tip. always keep a spare bog roll in your bag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.