Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone returned to UK to do Uni?

Anyone returned to UK to do Uni?

Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone returned to UK to do Uni?

Ny daughter wants to return to the UK to do uni (she has another 2 years of school left). Trouble is, they charge you overseas rates if you have been living outside of the UK for the three years prior to uni entrance. Seems a bit mean when anyone from the EU can get a tertiary education in UK for local rates but British citizens can't! Has anyone had a similar experience and is there anyway you can get around this rule some way so that you only have to pay the local rates??
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone returned to UK to do Uni?

Originally Posted by Miona
Ny daughter wants to return to the UK to do uni (she has another 2 years of school left). Trouble is, they charge you overseas rates if you have been living outside of the UK for the three years prior to uni entrance. Seems a bit mean when anyone from the EU can get a tertiary education in UK for local rates but British citizens can't!
It's not so mean when you consider that universities are funded by British taxes, which British citizens outside the United Kingdom don't pay.

The EU/EEA issue is simply a reciprocal agreement whereby students from each other's country are treated as home students. It may not be fair, but withdrawal from the EU is likely the only way that problem could be solved.

What's wrong with going to a good Australian university, eg one of the Group of Eight? http://www.go8.edu.au
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Miona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura aboutMiona has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your input JAJ. It is my daughter's wish not mine that she go to uni in the UK. I suppose for her it is a way of exploring the place of her birth. Yes I agree it is a funding issue and nothing more but here in Australia, all citizens and PR get local (ie HECS) rate at uni even if they have lived all of their life overseas. Does that make Australia more generous or more stupid than the UK?? Most Australian universities including some in the G8, are pretty dire these days but so are many of the UK ones ...
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I sypathise with you!
We left Singapore as expats so we could spend 3 yrs in uk again before our son went to uni to avoid the issue of overseas fees. Now we are looking moving to nz - (tried and can't get oz visa) anyway we will be in a dilema because son will be in 4th yr at uk uni and daughter will want to go to uni. So all that planning with son will be lost. If anyone has any advice I'd be interested in it too.
We've paid 40% tax to uk gov. for last 4 yrs and we will be charged as if son is 'overseas student' if we move to nz . It seems that my dreams of life downunder are in danger of being crushed by uni fees.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

I had thought about going back to the UK then the daughter could finish school, take a gap year and we will have fulfilled the 3 years requirement but we also have a son going into high school next year and he doesn't want to move. Difficult isn't it?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miona
I had thought about going back to the UK then the daughter could finish school, take a gap year and we will have fulfilled the 3 years requirement but we also have a son going into high school next year and he doesn't want to move. Difficult isn't it?
you are where we were 4 yrs ago.
Our son took Alevels here then a gap yr in nz teaching is now doing a 4 yr uni course.Our daughter took GCSEs and is finishing Alevels next May.
All I can say is coming back here was hard for us, but it has given the kids a chance to finish a uk education,(they were in a british system school in Singapore) and proved to hubby that I really don't like living in uk.