Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a bank?

Wikiposts

Anyone recommend a bank?

Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone recommend a bank?

Originally Posted by soapy
i have been charged for using other atms
I'm sure you get 5 a month, but as i say the post office is free
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:32 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm sure you get 5 a month, but as i say the post office is free
is that 5 a moth with any atm or just hsbc. by the way i hate the PO
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:16 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

is that 5 a moth with any atm or just hsbc. by the way i hate the PO
With any atm that isn't hsbc!

Why do you hate the PO?? (ya nutter )
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Got a HSBC savings account because of the lack of monthly account fees which the other banks seem to charge. HSBC also allow you to have foreign currency accounts which was useful in picking the best time to exchange our Sterling. And the interest rate is pretty good, although ING or Citibank's online saving account is better for long term savings.

We also shopped around for our credit cards. Because of our lack of financial history in Oz HSBC were a bit hesitant at giving us credit, and wanted a $3000 bond. Virgin were more obliging with no annual fees but eventually we went with AMEX who were doing a no fee deal and a good rewards program. But I guess it all depends on how you use your plastic.

Papa Z
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:39 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
With any atm that isn't hsbc!

Why do you hate the PO?? (ya nutter )
hmmmm, ill need to look into that.
PO ....dont get me started. 2 hours just to post a couple of things at xmas.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zentack
Got a HSBC savings account because of the lack of monthly account fees which the other banks seem to charge. HSBC also allow you to have foreign currency accounts which was useful in picking the best time to exchange our Sterling. And the interest rate is pretty good, although ING or Citibank's online saving account is better for long term savings.
BankWest is even better for long term savings at the moment. Similar style of account to ING, but is currently paying 6% This is the standard 5.25% plus an extra 0.75% for the first 12 months.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:23 pm
ABCDiamond

hmmmm, ill need to look into that.
PO ....dont get me started. 2 hours just to post a couple of things at xmas.
I like my local Post Office, never any queues, except at Christmas, when I had two people in front of me !!

But I agree, many Post Offices have bad queues, and I didn't like them till I came here. (By here, I mean, my little area in Bayside.)

After the first 5 non HSBC ATM's, I think the charge is $2 per hit !!

A word of warning with Westpac, and probably other banks aswell;
If you use an "other Bank" ATM, to check your balance, and then do a cash withdrawal, it counts as 2 transactions !!

Many banks will also allow you to go overdrawn at an ATM, and then hit you with the overdraft fees!!

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:54 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I like my local Post Office, never any queues, except at Christmas, when I had two people in front of me !!

But I agree, many Post Offices have bad queues, and I didn't like them till I came here. (By here, I mean, my little area in Bayside.)

After the first 5 non HSBC ATM's, I think the charge is $2 per hit !!

A word of warning with Westpac, and probably other banks aswell;
If you use an "other Bank" ATM, to check your balance, and then do a cash withdrawal, it counts as 2 transactions !!

Many banks will also allow you to go overdrawn at an ATM, and then hit you with the overdraft fees!!
i think ill need to move then. my PO is like Giro day in glasgow
good tip on the other banks ABC
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Good point! HSBC have never let me go overdrawn yet, the just don't let the payment go out. Thats what i call a nice bank

Also cheers to cycle mark, will check out your link later (do you know the rate after 1st year is up??