Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone read this book on Australian Migration?

Anyone read this book on Australian Migration?

Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Anyone read this book on Australian Migration?

Hi all,

This book on ebay (see link below) is called : How to live and work in Australia. Has anyone read this before. Would appreciate some comments before I buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

many thanks,
65KK

Old Jul 17th 2004, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone read this book on Australian Migration?

Originally posted by 65 million
Hi all,

This book on ebay (see link below) is called : How to live and work in Australia. Has anyone read this before. Would appreciate some comments before I buy it.

many thanks,
65KK

I have never seen it before...will be watching this thread closely as it might help my hubby

Hels
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I just found this on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...203911-1062056

Hmmm....for some reason that link isnt working now....

Anyway...do a search on amazon.co.uk for Laura Veltman, the author of that book on ebay...there are some customer reviews at the bottom of the page

Last edited by Hels; Jul 17th 2004 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

roiboit is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway...do a search on amazon.co.uk for Laura Veltman, the author of that book on ebay...there are some customer reviews at the bottom of the page [/QUOTE]

I unforunately bought "Living and working in Australia" by the same author - spend 30 minutes on this and 30 minutes on the immigration forum and you already know as much as you can learn from her book!

roiboit
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:44 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

many thanks,
65KK

Looks pretty old to me - is there an updated version ?

Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

many thanks,
65KK

Looks like an old copy of this book ! (about1998 ish or earlier)
I gave a similar copy to some friends who emigrated some years ago. I got it cheap from a library and it was a good read but you . need to read it and make allowances for changes over time..... things like population, immigration policies etc will have changed!!
You could email the seller and ask how old the book is.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:59 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

looks like the new version is even 4 years old-pretty out of date

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...327964-9317455
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

cooldood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, ive just bought the latest version of this from WH Smith cost me £12.99 also bought Getting a job in Australia at the same time and got that for £5.50. (buy 1 get second half price). Both were very informative to read, but some points made are out of date.

Jon
Old Jul 17th 2004, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

NewJerseyToOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

many thanks,
65KK

Would recommend this one instead:

Living and Working in Australia by David Hampshire

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...847039-9870812

Like most books on this subject, the sections on immigration law are probably outdated by the time the book hits the shelves but what I found useful were the sections on lifestyle and culture including all the Australian versions of things that we take for granted e.g. postal service, motoring, healthcare, insurance, etc.

I rank it as a useful desk reference.

Hope this helps,
NewJerseyToOz
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

skimmed it in an airport, I think you can find a similar amount of more up-to-date information on the major web-sites.

cheers

david
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi all,

many thanks,
65KK

I read it but I think I have got more info from this forum than the book.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:52 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I saw this book somewhere in a shop. There's not alot in it. Loads more info on the internet and this site.

Paul.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:26 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

there was a (new) book I took out the library recently that I was not impressed with - very basic, general and the bit where it lost all credibility was in the buying a house part where it stated that auctions appeared to be popular from TV programmes (what great research I thought).

D Hampshire book is better.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
there was a (new) book I took out the library recently that I was not impressed with - very basic, general and the bit where it lost all credibility was in the buying a house part where it stated that auctions appeared to be popular from TV programmes (what great research I thought).

D Hampshire book is better.
I bought the D Hampshire book - but am struggling to remember a time I used it.

I can honestly say that any questions I had about the immigration process were answered on the immigration forum.

Any advice since then (banks, car insurance etc) I've gathered from this forum.

The information on the forums is more up-to-date and you get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NewJerseyToOz
Would recommend this one instead:

Living and Working in Australia by David Hampshire

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...847039-9870812

Like most books on this subject, the sections on immigration law are probably outdated by the time the book hits the shelves but what I found useful were the sections on lifestyle and culture including all the Australian versions of things that we take for granted e.g. postal service, motoring, healthcare, insurance, etc.

I rank it as a useful desk reference.

Hope this helps,
NewJerseyToOz
Yeah, read it, nothing too interesting.

Another one I read which had some good background info was 'Culture Shock' Australia. It had some interesting bits of info, and alot of opinion, which you could take or leave. It seemed aimed more for the asian market, but it was interesting to see how Oz was explaind to asian/euro immigrants.

I don't think anything in book form will ever be up to date enough to cover the subject.

I could list a few better books giving cultural background and history of Oz, which I think would prepare people better for life in OZ, except the shippers were here on Thursday, and all the books are gone and I can't remember the titles.

But they were good

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.