Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Yep - why is that expensive? I've charged my phone 3 times so far, and lose money every time it goes out of date. My UK phone was charged just after arriving, and still works if I wanted to use it to make calls. Think I have to use it once a year minimum to keep it active - not sure on top ups after that
Quite simply Because of the rate per call cost. IE: maximum cost per minute is usually on the cheapest/start off plans.

IE: a 10 dollar plan in Aus, will generally cost 80 cents per minute.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Quite simply Because of the rate per call cost. IE: maximum cost per minute is usually on the cheapest/start off plans.

IE: a 10 dollar plan in Aus, will generally cost 80 cents per minute.
True - Vodafone which I have is 25p min, and 12p text. But if I charge it up with £10 and make 20 mins of calls a month I still have £5 for the next month.

With Aus plans I might only pay 1c min. If I charge it with $20 to get that rate, and make 20 mins of calls - instead of having $19.80 left for the next month, the credit expires and I have to recharge (I actually think my credit lasts longer than 30 days but you get the idea - like I said, only works out if you are a low user )
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

True - Vodafone which I have is 25p min, and 12p text. But if I charge it up with £10 and make 20 mins of calls a month I still have £5 for the next month.

With Aus plans I might only pay 1c min. If I charge it with $20 to get that rate, and make 20 mins of calls - instead of having $19.80 left for the next month, the credit expires and I have to recharge (I actually think my credit lasts longer than 30 days but you get the idea - like I said, only works out if you are a low user )
I think boost have 45 day 10 dollar plans

Would have to check. They are definitely out there... 45 day credit on low upfront costs i mean.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:17 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I think boost have 45 day 10 dollar plans

Would have to check. They are definitely out there... 45 day credit on low upfront costs i mean.
I just took the first one that didn't look to bad - rang to activate it and got totally confused on what option to pick - I think if I charge $20 it lasts 2 months and when it gets near expiring I phone the Uk rather than Skype, but I think I still had about $5 expire last month
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please tell me where to buy the cheapest assembled furniture? Not ikea of fantastic!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Unlimited Mobile Phone Plans.... Circa 35 dollars per month for the cheapest at present with 5 gigs of download.

TV Licenses.... Well lack of.

Most Electrical Goods.
My brother works at a Curries store in Gateshead and can't believe that I just bought a 42 inch Full HD LED telly for the bedroom, $380 with free delivery from Dick Smith, and my new 25 inch also Full HD computer monitor for $210 from Officeworks.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Can someone please tell me where to buy the cheapest assembled furniture? Not ikea of fantastic!
I love assembling furniture. I'll send you my Allen keys if you like
Good little rechargeable electric screwdrivers are only about $25 from Bunnings.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Mitsubishi warranty in Australia is 5 years or 130,000 kilometres, in the UK it is 5 years and 125,000 miles.
Fair enough. They are cheaper here though - as are many VWs, Toyotas, Mazdas etc
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Try this one OS...

10 bucks per month, includes 50 mins of calls to the UK.

http://www.hellomobile.com.au/plans-...x#.UfiSAKz07GE
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:56 am

Try this one OS...

10 bucks per month, includes 50 mins of calls to the UK.

http://www.hellomobile.com.au/plans-...x#.UfiSAKz07GE
Thanks for that OE
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:31 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Freedom furniture?

www.freedom.com.au

Super Amart?

www.superamart.com.au

I don't know if you'd call these particularly cheap but they're chain generic. Personally, I'm not a fan of amart furniture but did buy some freedom stuff years ago.

If I was looking for cheap and good quality, I'd check out second hand ads in papers/online, second hand shops or even some op shops.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:41 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
My brother works at a Curries store in Gateshead and can't believe that I just bought a 42 inch Full HD LED telly for the bedroom, $380 with free delivery from Dick Smith, and my new 25 inch also Full HD computer monitor for $210 from Officeworks.
I cant find either product on the websites for those prices so clearance perhaps? I can get an LG monitor for £110 which is very good as I do like their products. Australia is about 2 years ahead on TV pricing for whatever reason because most other appliances are equal or cheaper here. Its one of those anomalies in pricing. Curries isnt the first place I would go for great prices though.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant find either product on the websites for those prices so clearance perhaps? I can get an LG monitor for £110 which is very good as I do like their products. Australia is about 2 years ahead on TV pricing for whatever reason because most other appliances are equal or cheaper here. Its one of those anomalies in pricing. Curries isnt the first place I would go for great prices though.
A lot of consumer electronics are cheaper in Australia

Agree that the majority of white goods are the same or cheaper in the UK
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A lot of consumer electronics are cheaper in Australia

Agree that the majority of white goods are the same or cheaper in the UK
Miele washing machines aren't
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by eddie007
Miele washing machines aren't
what I said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.