Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:14 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am wondering if Australians might be more money conscious, not sure if that is the same as class conscious.

I was at a management offsite meeting a couple of months ago and someone famous (well famous in Australia, I had no idea who they were) was brought in to do the after dinner speech. Well within the speech they included loads of stuff about how much money they were making and how they bought a house for their mother by the time they were 30 etc etc. I thought it was vulgar, I was cringing with embarrassment for the chap, but afterwards all my colleagues said how good he was.
the good news is you have aquired the bs radar system which is a good thing
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Yeah, and they all **** off with their booty of cash once they are done and dusted. No loyalty here, it's a cash grab and run for many because Perth is basically shite. Seen too many people come and go over the last 8 years - they follow the cashola.

I'm sure the Yanks will save as much as they can and when their contract is over they take a bucketload back to US where they can buy half a dozen houses. the Yanks must come here and laugh at local prices, seen that, been there, worn the t shirt. :lol:

Aren't house prices CHEAP in the US compared to here and anywhere really? There is a lady on here selling a MASSIVE house with a heated swimming pool in the basement INDOORS FFS with ACRES of land and a river at the bottom of the grounds, etc for about $350,000.00 USD!! I was gobsmacked when I saw it as round these parts you need half a mill for a shack!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:15 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indented Head
Hi I am in Indented Head near Geelong and I pay $900 a month .
Don't move to Sydney then!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:17 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Err, actually not. Can't disclose my source but the Relocation Australia programmes are partially funded by Aussie Government/Tourist industry.
I was actually referring to Neighbours and Home and Away. I'd expect the tourism industry to be involved with Relocation Down Under.

Jeez - look how they rolled out the red carpet for Oprah.
Plenty of tourism potential in Oprah.

Although I'm saddened how Paul Hogan was treated by the ATO considering what he done for Aussie tourism.
Contributing to Australian tourism does not grant exemption from tax law.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
That's one of the worst things I've heard. If I was paying $800 a week to live in Clarkson I would probably kill myself. Clarkson is one of the worst suburbs in Australia.
"Clarkson is one of the worst suburbs in Australia" really??????? well if Clarkson is the worst that Australia has to offer, then that really is a feather in the cap of those who argue that Aus is miles better than the UK

Out of interest, what suburb do you reside in? just so I know to avoid living there in future
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Aren't house prices CHEAP in the US compared to here and anywhere really? There is a lady on here selling a MASSIVE house with a heated swimming pool in the basement INDOORS FFS with ACRES of land and a river at the bottom of the grounds, etc for about $350,000.00 USD!! I was gobsmacked when I saw it as round these parts you need half a mill for a shack!!
What location was that $350,000 property in ?

Not in any of these US areas I expect...
Tribeca
SoHo
Little Italy
Manhattan Beach
Chelsea
Upper West Side
West Village
Midtown
Greenwich Village
Upper East Side

$350k in some parts of Australia will get you a decent house on 10 acres.

It all comes down to location..

Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What location was that $350,000 property in ?

Not in any of these US areas I expect...
Tribeca
SoHo
Little Italy
Manhattan Beach
Chelsea
Upper West Side
West Village
Midtown
Greenwich Village
Upper East Side

$350k in some parts of Australia will get you a decent house on 10 acres.

It all comes down to location..
Rural New Hampshire.............OK I see what you are saying.......my daughter and her bf are paying almost half a mill for what can only be kindly described as well loved here in Oz............BUT they prefer to buy the worst house in the best street rather than a new house stuck out in the 'burbs in a housing estate with pretty bad schools.........

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 29th 2010 at 9:40 am.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
Sorry mate but you need to remove your blinkers.

I feel that you can get what Aus can offer in other countries for a fraction of the price

Please feel free to enlighten us with these other countries you speak of?

Work is easy to find where I live & cost of living is low as there's bugger all to spend earnings on.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?

Work is easy to find where I live & cost of living is low as there's bugger all to spend earnings on.
Is that still in N Yorks? Certainly my work isn't easy to find there!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Is that still in N Yorks? Certainly my work isn't easy to find there!
No as I'm now in Australia, I'm so laid back I can't be arsed updating my profile . Live in the hot dry bit of WA.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Love these threads. They are always full of...........

Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:54 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

http://www.cascascorner.com/pics/Bollocks.jpg
my that's a cracking pair you got there....
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
"Clarkson is one of the worst suburbs in Australia" really??????? well if Clarkson is the worst that Australia has to offer, then that really is a feather in the cap of those who argue that Aus is miles better than the UK

Out of interest, what suburb do you reside in? just so I know to avoid living there in future
Theres are difference between driving through Clarkson and Living there. I would assume living there would be much worse.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:57 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

http://www.cascascorner.com/pics/Bollocks.jpg
Steady on old bean!!!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Looks pretty tough for those who are determined to own their own home and raise kids in Oz right now. But for the dual income, no mortage, no kids, likes of myself and my partner I can't see there is a better place to be right now. For us, we are moving for a change of scenery but mostly we are moving for the money, cash up, and hopefully add a little more to the retirement fund than we could in the UK right now.. A bit like Aussies did 10 years ago - come to London, cash up on pounds, travel a bit and return home. I still have some Aussie mates who have done 10 years in London with a wad of pounds saved up and are furious they can't return home with them.

We have a dual income £90,000 in the UK. We haven't seen a pay rise in 3 years. In fact I had to take a pay cut 2 years ago. Our jobs in Oz are earning us $280,000 dual income and on my fx rate estimation that is £180,000. Even though there is a cost of living increase in some areas what we will be able to save in Oz will hammer what we can save in the UK right now. Probably planning on sending a third back to the UK to take advantage of the FX rate, pop a third into some high interest account in Oz and spin the rest on some high risk stocks and the like. Who knows - open to suggestion.

I understand that most people aren't in our relatively flexible position, and I hope we're doing the right thing. Haven't seen anything yet to suggest otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.