Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
Why should anyone have to move to somewhere else in order to not get get completely ripped off when shopping for food? It seems to me some people just refuse to accept the presence of the elephant in the room.
You misunderstand my reply...the comment was some people seem to think markets etc provide value but nksk doesn't...my suggestion was maybe they do provide better value/quality where others live...I have no interest in making anyone move but let's not define the whole debate by just one persons experience.

I personally get great value from my markets and love going there. It is part of life but I can see others may differ.

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 19th 2011 at 8:25 am.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:45 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes because this mythical 2.2 wasnt pulled out of someones arse.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Sure, $300 is just a smidgen cheaper using the proper scientific UN sanctioned BE 2.2 ratio rather than the pulled out the a#se 2.0 ratio
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

You misunderstand my reply...the comment was some people seem to think markets etc provide value but nksk doesn't...my suggestion was maybe they do provide better value/quality where others live...I have no interest in making anyone move but let's not define the whole debate by just one persons experience.

I personally get great value from my markets and love going there. It is part of life but I can see others may differ.
Sure. And I did talk about my experience. Having lived in 5 different suburbs, if good value markets exist then my experience suggests that they are the exception rather than the norm.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes because this mythical 2.2 wasnt pulled out of someones arse.
Backed by science chris, backed by science...we can't have you pushing that crazy 2.0 ratio that you like to use without any published studies
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Sure. And I did talk about my experience. Having lived in 5 different suburbs, if good value markets exist then my experience suggests that they are the exception rather than the norm.
That's a shame, don't know much about perth, maybe others could guide you. I love supporting the good ones. Keeps those supermarkets from getting a complete monopoly over farmers and provides me with great value. Banana's 6.50/kg rather than 13/kg for example after banana disaster. Nice to learn more about the fruit/veg from the farmers/sellers as well.

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 19th 2011 at 9:16 am.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a link to the study by the Dopey Moth and his crazy conversion rate ?

Backed by science chris, backed by science...we can't have you pushing that crazy 2.0 ratio that you like to use without any published studies
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Do you have a link to the study by the Dopey Moth and his crazy conversion rate ?
Yes, but wouldn't want you copying it verbatim and just changing the conclusions to suit. I know what you're up to, fund your own research
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:38 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, $300 is just a smidgen cheaper using the proper scientific UN sanctioned BE 2.2 ratio rather than the pulled out the a#se 2.0 ratio
$1.53 to £1 is still what we're paying. I understand the confusion and differing opinions though. Surely the comparative proportion of income to total cost of groceries is the true test?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
$1.53 to £1 is still what we're paying. I understand the confusion and differing opinions though.
Ouch. The crash in the pound has really damaged people's buying power abroad. Hopefully you can stop spending pounds soon.

Originally Posted by paulry
Surely the comparative proportion of income to total cost of groceries is the true test?
Exactly, that's what the 2.2 is based on....difference in average income so we can attempt to approximate the cost to average income proportion.

Using the exchange rate to compare cost of living makes no sense...unless you are still spending pounds like you are. I always want to ask people who compare using the exchange rate....what if the pound drops in half again tomorrow...does the cost of living double for people living and earning in Australia....of course not.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. The crash in the pound has really damaged people's buying power abroad. Hopefully you can stop spending pounds soon.

Exactly, that's what the 2.2 is based on....difference in average income so we can attempt to approximate the cost to average income proportion.

Using the exchange rate to compare cost of living makes no sense...unless you are still spending pounds like you are. I always want to ask people who compare using the exchange rate....what if the pound drops in half again tomorrow...does the cost of living double for people living and earning in Australia....of course not.

There are people who won't get this if you tell them 100 times...

Retirees and people on GBP salaries something else as you say...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There are people who won't get this if you tell them 100 times...

Retirees and people on GBP salaries something else as you say...
Because for some of us it is still important. I am on a temp visa and here earn AUS$ but everywhere else i work, including back in the UK i earn US$. So exchange rates are important for me. Particularly if / when we decide to leave Oz.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by verystormy
Because for some of us it is still important. I am on a temp visa and here earn AUS$ but everywhere else i work, including back in the UK i earn US$. So exchange rates are important for me. Particularly if / when we decide to leave Oz.
Exchange rates are important for lots of us. But using the current one to compare the cost of living here with the UK is pointless and false. It's hard not to though.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Exchange rates are important for lots of us. But using the current one to compare the cost of living here with the UK is pointless and false. It's hard not to though.
Agree. For cost of living differences we use a figure of x2.5 between being in the UK spending pounds and here spending AUS$. I think that figure though is a bit personal based on lifestyle.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:31 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
An engineer friend of mine back in the UK has just been offered a job in WA and when asked to name his price by the company said $80,000 as he is on 40k (quids) in England and assumed this would be 60k (quids)* so would be nice a pay rise. I told him he as a bloody idiot but he wouldn't have it. He still thinks he'll be well off! I'm sure lots of people are making this mistake.... To be fair, though, it's hard to believe the ludicrous cost of groceries here without seeing it first hand.

*bloody Aussie keyboard
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:32 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I don't even think it is possible to get home delivered groceries in Cairns???
Woolworths deliver to the Cairns postcode - I couldn't get into Coles to check as 'this site is undergoing maintenance'.

No idea how far the Cairns postcode covers or what other postcodes they deliver to in that area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.