British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone with a Pug? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-pug-663498/)

nickxpring Apr 11th 2010 11:36 am

Anyone with a Pug?

I have a Pug and would like to take him to Perth with me when I move over. Does anyone have one or know of anyone who has one? Hot weather can sometimes be a problem with Pugs so I'm not sure whether to take him or not?!

:)

bruce n sheila Apr 11th 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Anyone with a Pug?

not sure u can take snub nose dogs to australia when I asked about my bulldog I was told no airline takes them.....if u can its also roughly £3k and lots of tests and vaccinations also 30 days in quarenteen ...I hope for you they have changed the rules, call a shipping agent for pets they will know

moneypenny20 Apr 12th 2010 1:25 am

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila (Post 8488780)
not sure u can take snub nose dogs to australia when I asked about my bulldog I was told no airline takes them.....if u can its also roughly £3k and lots of tests and vaccinations also 30 days in quarenteen ...I hope for you they have changed the rules, call a shipping agent for pets they will know

There are one or two airlines who will carry them. Cathay are one I believe.

Nicky d Apr 28th 2010 6:28 am

Originally Posted by nickxpring (Post 8487952)
I have a Pug and would like to take him to Perth with me when I move over. Does anyone have one or know of anyone who has one? Hot weather can sometimes be a problem with Pugs so I'm not sure whether to take him or not?!

:)

We brought our 3 yr old pug over from the UK to Melbourne last December. We used Pet Air UK and he went with Cathay Pacific. He was very well looked after as he had to spend an extra 4 weeks in the UK- (They changed the Rabies law a couple of days before we flew out, so he had to have the injection and wait for more blood tests) The heat in Melbourne isnt as severe as Perth but he's coped very well over the summer, we do have a "pug pool" for him (an old baby bath) that he lies in to cool off .He lost a bit of weight in quarantine but that wasnt a bad thing! - no other problems at all. Good luck:):)

lapin_windstar Apr 28th 2010 6:41 am

Thought the OP was about Peugeots...

jen_c Apr 28th 2010 8:12 am

We are also planning on bringing our pug to Perth. I was concerned about the heat but after alot of research decided it would be ok. As long as we are sensible and dont take him for walks during the hottest part of the day, i think our pug will be fine.

Most airlines refuse to fly pugs. I spoke with Pet Air who said they can fly him with Cathay Pacific and i think Japan airlines will also fly pugs.

dave99 Apr 28th 2010 8:53 am

I thought you meant pickup group, pug, gaming term :p

UK-2-OZ Apr 29th 2010 7:53 am

Pugs are fine out here and there are lots of Breed Clubs around who you could have a chat with. I would recommend keeping any brachycephalic dog indoors during extreme temperatures. In regards to shipping then yes brachycephalic dogs are most at risk.