Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone for Perth

Wikiposts

Anyone for Perth

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

But how much did his rent/mortgage go up???

Originally posted by Grayling

One of my sons, a highly qualified engineer, felt underpaid and exploited and left his job for that reason.
There were much better prospects on the East coast where he more than doubled his salary.

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 7:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by melaniee
But how much did his rent/mortgage go up???
Nowhere near as much as his salary.
For a professional there are more reasons to work than for money.The prospects were also far better in the East as were working conditions.
There was very little choice for him in Perth whereas he has been headhunted twice in the east.
He also bought before the house price boom so the 'value' of his property has also rocketed.

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Wages

Good luck to him I say.

Originally posted by Grayling
Nowhere near as much as his salary.
For a professional there are more reasons to work than for money.The prospects were also far better in the East as were working conditions.
There was very little choice for him in Perth whereas he has been headhunted twice in the east.
He also bought before the house price boom so the 'value' of his property has also rocketed.

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Since reading all the posts on this forum it has been a real eye opener.We are hoping to move to Perth also but it will not be for some time as we have only just applied to the TRA.It is really reasurring to hear for once good comments on Perth and how beautiful it is etc,as looking at some of the points made over the past months does put you on a bit of a downer and has put many doubts in my mind.Really only trying to get a better lifestyle for my family and know that it is going to be the hardest thing we will probably ever do.Realise that everyone has their opinions if not they would not post any threads .but thanks for the positive feed back from all the people that have been to Perth and are looking to make it their home,I feel a lot better now.
Hopefully this will keep me going when times get tough.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:14 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi Pete,

like anywhere, you will get good and bad reports on Perth. But for my part i loved it. I have many friends who have lived there for years and they have no problem with it being a remote city. They still love it. There's plenty of great places to visit in the South West of Australia too.

Just my opinion, but i think if you go with a positive attitude, positive things often happen!

By all means read all the comments you can, it all helps, but also keep your own mind!!

Good luck mate.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the support.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone for Perth

Originally posted by JoB
Just a quickie for anyone going to Perth. (I am not though).

I was returning from London to Manchester yesterday and the guy sat next to me on the plane was asking me where I had been etc.
So in turn asked him, he said he had been to Australia for 2 weeks on business. Said he has been all over the world with his job but for the first time ever did not want to leave beautiful Perth.
In fact he said he could have gladly killed his aussie colleague took his job and shipped his wife over. A bit exteme but I got his point.

Anyway I thought that was very positive for anyone looking at Perth.

Jo
Graham said the same to me a few years ago that after traveling the world and living in all sorts of interesting and exciting places he thought Perth was the best of them all. We are planning to move to Australia to live with all our 7 kids either this year or early next and did think Perth would be a good choice but decided against the idea only because of its location in Australia. We would be expecting to come and go to and from nz to visit etc and friends and family will pop over now and then too. You have to pay twice as much in air fares to nz so it would be unafordable. Did you know that its cheaper to fly from Auckland to Brisbane than it is to fly from Auckland to the south island in nz. Go figure!? At the moment theres a special on for one person to fly to Brisbane and back with 7 days accomodation all for only $499.00 thats dollars not pounds, good aye.
Catherine.