Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone for Perth

Wikiposts

Anyone for Perth

Old Feb 1st 2004, 5:33 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by Stormz
Strange, most ppl would think the same of Devon. If I had the money I would love to live in Devon..... beautiful.
In truth..If I have to stay in england then yes it is one of the best places to live in this country...I work and drive all over the place..London the M25..how the hell do ppl deal wiv it on the day to day basis...I really dont know....It is not Devon ...It is the pressure of british life as a whole..gov..lack of staff and targets and EMPLOYMENT pressures ect ect high expectations......and the god dam RAIN... boy do we get more than our fair share down here...It is beautiful..devon...but theres no dosh...!wages really low,house prices high in comparison...I am lucky...I work for a Essex based company so my wage aint bad but I know alot of others in not so good position...I want to take my money and run cos I dont think my nerves and stress levels will take this forever...Go to Oz..have no mortgage..and not have to work so hard..hopefully work for myself...and of course..its sunny...
Old Feb 1st 2004, 5:37 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

I think I suffer from the winter syndrome...sun well important..to wake up to it instantly takes my mood a level up..thats what I like..and the laid back attitude...wether that will last when I cant get things done when I would like I dont know..we shall see..could be a new kind of stress..but change as good as a rest eh...
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:04 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by pockygoes
it is so refreshing to see that some people love Perth as much as we did. It had a profound effect on us & gave us the strength & depth of feeling to make it happen. We have just told the family & it has gone as well as expected on most fronts but one. We are having the silent treatment from hubbies sister & she is in turn working on his mum. We are being accused of being selfish & short sighted - but posts like this remind us why we are doing it.

It has all the ingredients that we were looking for and more & although not everyones cup of tea - it cetainly is ours!!!!!

Talking of rubbish - we sat in a resturant next to scarborough
beach on our last night & there was some rubbish underneath the bench next to a bus stop. A youth of about 17 came over to wait for the bus & picked up all the rubbish and put it in the bin - can't say I have ever seen this in this country - felt like buying him a drink.

pockygoes
Talking of rubbish. We took a trip to Rottnest island on one day.

As usual, everyone made us feel very welcome and we got talking to the locals. When we came back it was evident the almost everyone was ensuring that they picked up their litter and kept the boat tidy.....all except a British family !!

It made us feel embarrassed to be British - even our 6 yeard old commented on it. I'm not saying that all Aussies are clean and tidy or that we are perfect as this wouldn't be true, just that these people gave the Brits a bad name and perhaps showed the difference in having pride for your surroundings ?

Warren
Perth 2004........

Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Question for Pockygoes please!

We never actually went to Scarborough in 2002. But, since being accepted for Oz, we have been looking at various places on the net and really fancy Scarborough. What did you think of it on the whole? And has anybody else been?

Thanks.

Sharon
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take this the wrong way.

I have never been to Perth but both my sons have lived there.

They have said that it is a beautiful city but is limited because of it's Isolation and they both moved on because of that.The choice of jobs in their particular fields was also nothing like the East coast.
This may suit some people but I think needs to be considered.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 1st 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Litter in perth

I hate to be negative on what a wonderful; place perth is thread but did anyone see the south perth foreshore after australia day?

Now, ppppllllleeeease do not tell me that people here are told not to litter.

Originally posted by Stormz
In Oz it`s really drummed into you to not litter... all the way through school. Maybe that`s why I have a real pet hate of people littering in any country... it makes me angry when I see people do it in the street here (littering that is, before WBB gets his oar in ).
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Yeah, that`s typical after the sky-show.... but at least there are hundreds of volunteers over the next few days cleaning it up.

I agree with Grayling... Perth can be limiting.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:21 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Grayling referred to limited job oppertunitoes in certain fields. I cant really comment on that. But in what other ways do you feel it limited? Ok, I only spent a month or so there, but i reckon its got plenty going on.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 2:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose
Grayling referred to limited job oppertunitoes in certain fields. I cant really comment on that. But in what other ways do you feel it limited? Ok, I only spent a month or so there, but i reckon its got plenty going on.
I cannot really comment any further other than to say that neither of them felt they wanted to live there.
As I said it may well suit some people if they can find work.

One of my sons, a highly qualified engineer, felt underpaid and exploited and left his job for that reason.
There were much better prospects on the East coast where he more than doubled his salary.

For all I know I may like it but am not planning to go.
There has been a lot written on this subject in the past on this forum.

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:02 am
Re mem mem member

Fair comments Grayling, and I appreciate there's been a lot written on the subject. And for that reason I think that a lot of people complain about it being secluded in a "jumping on the bandwagon" type of way. Not saying you have, you give an eg from your son thats completely reasonable.

People may genuinely not like Perth for many reasons, but they seem to use that old chestnut more often than not. lack of imagination maybe.

But what do I know? I live on one of the most densely populated strips of land in the UK (M62 corridor) and think Perths seclusion sounds fantsastic!

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Fair comments Grayling, and I appreciate there's been a lot written on the subject. And for that reason I think that a lot of people complain about it being secluded in a "jumping on the bandwagon" type of way. Not saying you have, you give an eg from your son thats completely reasonable.

People may genuinely not like Perth for many reasons, but they seem to use that old chestnut more often than not. lack of imagination maybe.

But what do I know? I live on one of the most densely populated strips of land in the UK (M62 corridor) and think Perths seclusion sounds fantsastic!

Sounds Ok to me too Loose.
I can not look at it through the eyes of a single man in his 20s which is what they did.
I am not going there because my family are on the East coast.
I would not rule it out though.
I think it may also depend on your line of work as that makes a difference wherever you go.

Good luck

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:32 am
Re mem mem member

Cheers Grayling.

Hope you're loving the East coast!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Cheers Grayling.

Hope you're loving the East coast!!!
Not gone yet

It's the thought of moving thats getting to me now.

G
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:46 am
Re mem mem member

Oh sorry. Got confused.

I know what you mean about the thought of moving though!!

Sod it - if we dont try, we wont know eh!

Good luck mate.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:54 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Perth is great for a few months on holiday (practically anywhere is)... you have to live there for a while before you`ve done everything in/around Perth and then realise you can`t go anywhere else cos of time/money. It`s a huge quiet retirement village But of course it`s lovely and if you have loads of money you can do the more exciting things (hang-gliding, gliding, parasailing, ballooning etc)..... like most places. I was a teenager and it was boring.... there`s only so many times you can go into Freo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.