Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

Wikiposts

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Originally Posted by Fluid36
there are various ways around this such as setting up your own charity.
Is this a legal risk?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:47 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Good to know,

By the way, have you experienced any issues with not being resident in the UK and operating a UK share account?, When one of my brokers found out I was resident in Australia they said that they would close my account down due to not being resident in the UK. The only way round this was for me to convince them that I was in fact resident in the UK and use a friends address.

Thanks
I use TD Waterhouse. They know I'm not resident. No problems.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:50 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know,

By the way, have you experienced any issues with not being resident in the UK and operating a UK share account?, When one of my brokers found out I was resident in Australia they said that they would close my account down due to not being resident in the UK. The only way round this was for me to convince them that I was in fact resident in the UK and use a friends address.

Thanks
No I haven't. I still have addresses in my name in the UK which I have used though.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rambi
I use TD Waterhouse. They know I'm not resident. No problems.
Ok Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
No I haven't. I still have addresses in my name in the UK which I have used though.
Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is this a legal risk?
Could be - depends how you do it.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:13 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Thanks
Actually if I was to do it now I would probably use £ account on etrade (Aus) instead. They didn't have it when I set up the TD Waterhouse account.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambi
Actually if I was to do it now I would probably use £ account on etrade (Aus) instead. They didn't have it when I set up the TD Waterhouse account.
Does etrade in Aus allow multiple currencies and trading on overseas indices (FTSE etc).?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:09 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Does etrade in Aus allow multiple currencies and trading on overseas indices (FTSE etc).?
I think I got a bit mixed up. Etrade allows you to trade on overseas exchanges but it does look like the trades are done in $.

It's TD waterhouse that allows multiple currencies.

Sorry about that.