Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The awful rental process!!

The awful rental process!!

Old Apr 1st 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice
Default The awful rental process!!

Jeez didn't realise how hard it was to get a rental in Oz!

We've just sold our house and looking for a rental property. The inspections are mostly in the middle of a working day so really difficult to view any and they won't give you any other times. You have to complete an application form for every property, provide all the paperwork and still there's no guarantee that you will be accepted! I've been told they have an average of 8 to 10 couples lodging applications for each property! We have to be out of our house in 6 weeks....I'm starting to panic!!!

Anyone have any tips??
Old Apr 1st 2011, 9:47 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The awful rental process!!

Just keep tyring is all you can do. 3 times we have had to move as the rental we rented has been sold. We have less than 2 weeks now to gey out. Our landlord promised he would not sell for 2 years. Guess what, he would not put it in writing. Yadda yadda. The lack of housing is shocking really. But just keep looking and go for it. Don't just have one option (hard i know) and maybe you will have to take a place you don't really like. Once you get a place look after it and be good tenants. This will work better for you later on. Im in Tassie by the way.

Make sure you get every thing in writing. Get a property report with pictures and take your own pictures too. As many as you can. All marks on the walls, carpets etc. Every thing you see basically. When you move you will be most likely have to pay for the house to be steam cleaned. I have yet to see one that had been before we got one. The price you pay for a rental.

Check any maintainance contracts. Who pays for what and will they fix stuff. Above all pay your rent on time and they will be happy with you.

We want to buy our own place but i insist on living in a few places first so we are sure it is right. Weather, people, traffic etc you should consider too. Oh and another one is where the sun rises in the morning and evening. You may have the sun in your eyes going to and from work each work day.

Good luck, a place will turn up.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:05 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

make friends with the agents; make sure they know what a great tenant you will be. As you don't have a rental history, make sure they get a copy of your most recent mortgage statement showing how you paid on time and had no arrears. Have you got pets? If so make sure you offer to pay a pet bond and write about how responsible a pet owner you are.
I agree that the rental shortage in some areas is frightening. Inspections tend to be during the day as that suits the agents and they don't need to be focused on your needs. Would suggest you go with it. If you can make friends and let them know what you are looking for, you may get a call before the next one becomes available
Good luck
Scotty
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Also show that you're willing to go long term on a lease. We were up against another couple for our last rental and the owner said if we were willing to sign a two year lease, he'd give it to us.

Of course we broke it 6 months early when we moved into our own house...but everything turned out okay in the end...
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Thanks for all your tips, I didn't realise it would be this hard. When we came over in 2006 we went into the agents, viewed a property and within a week we had moved in...no problem! It has obviously changed since then! We do have dogs so we are a little limited but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will land a property soon. The agent that sold our house said he will give a personal reference for what it's worth but it all helps. I did ask one agent if we would stand a better chance if we offered a larger bond and six months in advance but she said no!!

We will be viewing a couple of properties tomorrow which are way too big for us but are pet friendly so who knows?? We'll take anything suitable or maybe buy a winnebago and go on a road trip.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Oh you got me started again....
The whole process here is based around money and making poor old us worry to death over the prospect of having nowhere to live.
Just keep going you will get there in the end we did
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

The last time I moved it was within the building I already lived in. The way I did it was to go down to the front door and tell everyone waiting that the viewing was cancelled, they all buggered off and I got the place at a discount. This does rely on the agent turning up late and being a bit of a b*stard. The agent was and I am.

I had full harbor views etc nice apartment really.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:25 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boobops
We do have dogs so we are a little limited but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will land a property soon. The agent that sold our house said he will give a personal reference for what it's worth but it all helps. I did ask one agent if we would stand a better chance if we offered a larger bond and six months in advance but she said no!!
Absolutely take the agent who sold the place up on his offer, especially if he can vouch for the dogs and your ability to keep the property clean and tidy. The issue with dogs is not all agents or owners being anti dog, but having to deal with the neighbour issues when the dog barks all the time or frightens the neighbours kids. If you can get some evidence that your dogs are well behaved and won't do these things, all the better. Don't just go for pet friendly - but no point in going for ones that say no pets.
No point in offering more bond as there is a legal maximum of 4 weeks rent in NSW. Paying in advance only really works if you have no job yet or they are not sure about your ability to pay - otherwise it just mucks up the system!

You will find somewhere soon - it just takes time and patience!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I thought agents where supposed to make your life easier, there the same over the ditch theiving unhelpfull scumbags

Neil
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 3:18 am
Bright in Orange

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I thought agents where supposed to make your life easier, there the same over the ditch theiving unhelpfull scumbags

Neil
No, agents are there to make the owners life easier...and I always try and be helpful!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Absolutely take the agent who sold the place up on his offer, especially if he can vouch for the dogs and your ability to keep the property clean and tidy. The issue with dogs is not all agents or owners being anti dog, but having to deal with the neighbour issues when the dog barks all the time or frightens the neighbours kids. If you can get some evidence that your dogs are well behaved and won't do these things, all the better. Don't just go for pet friendly - but no point in going for ones that say no pets.
No point in offering more bond as there is a legal maximum of 4 weeks rent in NSW. Paying in advance only really works if you have no job yet or they are not sure about your ability to pay - otherwise it just mucks up the system!

You will find somewhere soon - it just takes time and patience!
It's not only the possible noise problem for neighbours - it's the smell. Perhaps it's something that dog owners don't notice, like cigarette smokers don't notice, but non-dog owners notice. My MIL's place still smelt of dog after 2 years, even though 2 other sets of non-dog owning tenants had been renting there and the carpets had been steam-cleaned between tenants. The smell can also get into curtains. We replaced the carpets in January and no more dogs will be allowed.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The awful rental process!!

Originally Posted by isgraham
The last time I moved it was within the building I already lived in. The way I did it was to go down to the front door and tell everyone waiting that the viewing was cancelled, they all buggered off and I got the place at a discount. This does rely on the agent turning up late and being a bit of a b*stard. The agent was and I am.

Pure genius, so cunning you could put a tail on you and call you a fox
Kaz
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by isgraham

Good on you! Nothing wrong with being a b*stard in this greed infested place, nice guys get fleeced left right and centre.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't premeditated but will admit to quick thinking. I don't see it working for me again as I will be buying when I move back so the trauma of renting won't apply.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boobops
Jeez didn't realise how hard it was to get a rental in Oz!

We've just sold our house and looking for a rental property. The inspections are mostly in the middle of a working day so really difficult to view any and they won't give you any other times. You have to complete an application form for every property, provide all the paperwork and still there's no guarantee that you will be accepted! I've been told they have an average of 8 to 10 couples lodging applications for each property! We have to be out of our house in 6 weeks....I'm starting to panic!!!

Anyone have any tips??
gumtree.com.au

Used it (and the UK site) for ny last 4 house moves. You get to deal direct with a person, so you can arrange sensible viewing times. They're generally far easier to negotiate with too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.