Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

"Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange rat

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:55 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Originally Posted by bcworld
The public sector in Australia is ginormous!

3 layers of government & a department for everything! People seem good at overlooking the elephant in the room.
at least the Aussie government is not bleeding in runaway deficit. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...au&rank=108#as the politicians here have a fetish for surpluses, Gillard is desperate to attain surplus by next election, and people expect the government to have surpluses. the states are under pressure to maintain an investment-grade credit rating.

and there are good signs Australians are becoming more prudent and learning to save more money (to the horror of Myer and Harvey Norman) http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-e...401-1crp3.html , notwithstanding a strong employment market and relatively high per capita income http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ta#cite_note-2

i definitely would bet Australia is the envy of many developed countries. not only is the economy strong, the liveability indicators are also high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/15/i...countries.html
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:04 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Anyone not going to Aus because of the high cost of living and the cr@p exchange

Apparently these are mere 'details'. The fact that UK economic growth is over double that of Germany over the last decade counts for nothing while Germany recorded a couple of qtrs of growth spurt after suffering a 5% contraction (same as the UK) during the GFC. How did this contraction happen with an insatiable Asian consumer to satisfy?
nevertheless, the UK economy only briefly outperformed Germany

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:13 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

The public sector in Australia is ginormous!

3 layers of government & a department for everything! People seem good at overlooking the elephant in the room.
I'm not sure that logic leads anywhere. 3 layers of government is quite common in the UK and they have departments for everything.

I suspect there is little difference in the public to private workers ratio for both countries.

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 2nd 2011 at 11:15 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I suspect there is little difference in the public to private workers ratio for both countries.
That was essentially my point.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
nevertheless, the UK economy only briefly outperformed Germany

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ern_Europe.PNG
Nice graph.

So over an even longer period of time, during which the UK was supposedly giving up on its manufacturing industry it ovetook France on a GDP per capita basis and at the end of it has a GDP per capita which it appears to be, in percentage terms closer to Germany's than it was in 1970...only about 2-3% less. Am I missing something. Rhetorical question, please no one answer...I can't keep going at this!
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:40 am
Daffyd Duck

blowing bubbles might be the explanation
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
blowing bubbles might be the explanation
It didn't help Michael Jackson much though.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Some how thats very original and funny but at the same time it's a disgusting thought, i mean a half human doing that to a half minkey
He leaves behind a piano you know, the monkey i mean
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:37 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Some how thats very original and funny but at the same time it's a disgusting thought, i mean a half human doing that to a half minkey
He leaves behind a piano you know, the monkey i mean
tsk tsk.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:08 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the cost of living in Australia higher than in the UK? Of course, a sparsely populated country with vast distances is always a more expensive place to live in than a similar compact country but there are other factors at play as well.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Is the cost of living in Australia higher than in the UK? Of course, a sparsely populated country with vast distances is always a more expensive place to live in than a similar compact country but there are other factors at play as well.
In relation to wages, yes. You only have to read the two dozen threads a week on here about it to see that the cost of living here isn't as cheap as it was a few years back.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 3rd 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:33 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very interested in this point about the ratio of public sector workers compared to other countries. My understanding is that federalism is expensive, it is an expensive system of government to have another tier in between the central government and the local unit of government. However, Australia is such a vast country that it couldn't function as a unitary state either and such an arrangement would cause a lot of resentment by people who live in hte so-called fringes. Therefore, even though federalism costs money, it is a bit of a must for vast countries like Australia, Canada or the USA.

In a country like the UK which is very densely populated but much smaller than Australia the idea of federalism would only be rejected as another unnecessary layer of government. Japan is a unitary country but relatively small in area and no-one has suggested that any problems they have could be due to not handing out power to the regions.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:09 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It didn't help Michael Jackson much though.
May he rest in peace my beloved artist.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:27 pm
Daffyd Duck

Originally Posted by THR
I'm very interested in this point about the ratio of public sector workers compared to other countries. My understanding is that federalism is expensive, it is an expensive system of government to have another tier in between the central government and the local unit of government. However, Australia is such a vast country that it couldn't function as a unitary state either and such an arrangement would cause a lot of resentment by people who live in hte so-called fringes. Therefore, even though federalism costs money, it is a bit of a must for vast countries like Australia, Canada or the USA.

In a country like the UK which is very densely populated but much smaller than Australia the idea of federalism would only be rejected as another unnecessary layer of government. Japan is a unitary country but relatively small in area and no-one has suggested that any problems they have could be due to not handing out power to the regions.
As well the Australian Federal and State govts have different powers / responsibilities. It's not as if the Constitution bestowed them the same redundant powers. The Federal govt is a balancing power against the divergent interests of the States while the States do mainly the groundwork.

I also reiterate the Australian govt has a strong budgetary position and a strong balance sheet. As well there are pressures to meet the budget and i have read news articles about job cuts in various agencies. Thankfully the private sector in Aust is strong enough to absorb these.

This is something Mr Cameron is hoping to happen, but the UK private sector realistically is not that strong (except maybe in fin services) to absorb the ex public workers. I wonder how many more times they will revise downwards again the gdp growth projections.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

That was essentially my point.
Ah. It could be read in different ways.

Last edited by Rambi; Apr 2nd 2011 at 8:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.