Anyone with a Nationwide account - please read this thread

Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:40 am
ddm
Forum Regular

ddm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone with a Nationwide account - please read this thread

Hi

just noticed this on a well respected money advice site in uk

nationwide credit card - from 17 October, Nationwide's cost of withdrawing cash abroad (and at home) will rise to 2.5% (min £3)

I know lots of you have Nationwide accounts, so maybe worth checking out if this will affect you

best wishes
ddm
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:47 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with a Nationwide account - please read this thread

Originally Posted by ddm
Hi

just noticed this on a well respected money advice site in uk

nationwide credit card - from 17 October, Nationwide's cost of withdrawing cash abroad (and at home) will rise to 2.5% (min £3)

I know lots of you have Nationwide accounts, so maybe worth checking out if this will affect you

best wishes
ddm
Nationwide have always charged for taking cash out on the credit card (both at home and abroad).

This is not to be confused with purchasing something and paying for it with the credit card. Purchasing something abroad is still commission free with a Nationwide credit card (and they are still the only ones to do this).

Gina
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Whew... had me worried there for a moment! Panic over!
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Nationwide have always charged for taking cash out on the credit card (both at home and abroad).

This is not to be confused with purchasing something and paying for it with the credit card. Purchasing something abroad is still commission free with a Nationwide credit card (and they are still the only ones to do this).

Gina
They don't charge for taking cash out using the debit card.. also i think First direct also have the same service on debit and credit cards
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:04 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
They don't charge for taking cash out using the debit card..
That's because if you take cash out using your debit card, you're taking out your own money. If you take cash out on your credit card, you're effectively borrowing money from the bank - hence they charge you.

Gina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

gamequeen88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ehm, useful thread.

but i am not sure whether it's can affect to my card, for that i have stop using it anymore, i found it's not safe.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gamequeen88
ehm, useful thread.

but i am not sure whether it's can affect to my card, for that i have stop using it anymore, i found it's not safe.
if you're not using it anymore, then you're ok
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gamequeen88
ehm, useful thread.

How come it was not safe to use your card? Do you mean a Nationwide debit card?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:15 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice

Another thing to watch out for:

When I'm abroad and want to take cash out I found that nearly all the ATMs didn't accept my Debit card! But the same ATMs would happily accept my Credit card. :curse:

So don't rely on just your debit card...
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:20 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan

When I'm abroad and want to take cash out I found that nearly all the ATMs didn't accept my Debit card! But the same ATMs would happily accept my Credit card. :curse:

Is that the case in Australia? Are you referring to the Nationwide Flex debit card?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:27 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan

is the difference not that your credit card is most likely to be visa or mastercard which are companies with an international presence whereas your debit card is most likely issued by a uk bank and therefore not necessarily recognised in a different country? In this case i think it would probably depend which bank/country you were in but i would suspect that in oz you wouldnt have much problem? I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
is the difference not that your credit card is most likely to be visa or mastercard which are companies with an international presence whereas your debit card is most likely issued by a uk bank and therefore not necessarily recognised in a different country?
Just to reassure Sooty and Sweep: the Nationwide FlexAccount debit card is a "Visa" debit card. So, any ATM with the Visa symbol will accept the Nationwide FlexAccount debit card. Or, in other words: any ATM that accepts Visa credit cards will also accept Visa debit cards.

Gina
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:57 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Just to reassure Sooty and Sweep: the Nationwide FlexAccount debit card is a "Visa" debit card. So, any ATM with the Visa symbol will accept the Nationwide FlexAccount debit card. Or, in other words: any ATM that accepts Visa credit cards will also accept Visa debit cards.

Gina
Thanks Gina,
BTW, Keep your chin up, the house sale will go through and your new life will start very soon, good luck, stay positive!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:10 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Question Re: Anyone with a Nationwide account - please read this thread

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Is that the case in Australia? Are you referring to the Nationwide Flex debit card?
Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
is the difference not that your credit card is most likely to be visa or mastercard which are companies with an international presence whereas your debit card is most likely issued by a uk bank and therefore not necessarily recognised in a different country? In this case i think it would probably depend which bank/country you were in but i would suspect that in oz you wouldnt have much problem? I am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong

Don't know about Australia, my experience with there credit card and there debit card was from working around Europe, Middle East, and Africa.

There debit and credit cards are Visa Cards.

The ATMs I was trying where marked up VISA as well as Mastercard and loads of others on there as well.

In some countries you could take Money out on the Debit card, no problem, but in other is was not possible. The debit card would be great if it worked in OZ, to get cash out.

Hopefully someone over there can post back on this.

Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:30 am
IT Guru

Thumbs up Re: Anyone with a Nationwide account - please read this thread

STOP THE PRINTERS!!!

I just found this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479211

So looks good to use your debit cards in OZ

Nice one..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.