Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving from Ireland to Oz??

Anyone moving from Ireland to Oz??

Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone moving from Ireland to Oz??

Hi there,

I recently married my husband (who's from Brisbane) and we're planning a move from Dublin to Brisbane next year and have a few questions.

1. What's the best way to transfer our savings from Ireland to Australia and will a tax have to be paid on this? If son. how much?

2. Does anyone know what the situation would be for us if we try to get a mortgage once we arrive in Australia?

3. Can money earned from renting out our house in Dublin be transferred into our Australian bank account without any difficulty?

Thanks in advance,

S
Old Jun 28th 2007, 5:59 pm
Banned

Aussieace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving from Ireland to Oz??

Originally Posted by strewth
Hi there,

I recently married my husband (who's from Brisbane) and we're planning a move from Dublin to Brisbane next year and have a few questions.

1. What's the best way to transfer our savings from Ireland to Australia and will a tax have to be paid on this? If son. how much?

2. Does anyone know what the situation would be for us if we try to get a mortgage once we arrive in Australia?

3. Can money earned from renting out our house in Dublin be transferred into our Australian bank account without any difficulty?

Thanks in advance,

S
70% of the population of OZ has irish ancestors so you won't be alone.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You will be liable for Australian tax on the rental income.

G
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:43 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,

S
We came over in 2004 from Ireland.
1. Easiest? Set up an Aussie bank account and transfer the money. We did with National Australia Bank. This may not be the cheapest option as you may want to investigate bank charges and exchange rates - but it is easy!
No - you don't pay tax on this.

2. We got a mortgage within a month on a temporary visa! I think it depends on:
a) having a job/guaranteed income (maybe your rented Irish house will help)
b) having a deposit (bigger the better)
c) a decent bank manager!

3. Yes - but it will be "income" and taxed accordingly

Where in Dublin are you coming from?

Andrew
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:51 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

I hope your hubby is aware of how brisbane has changed in recent years.

I went back there recently after being away for 2 years. Don't get me wrong, the people are as still as "backward" and as rude as ever, but everything has gone UP, yet salaries have remained around the same.

Also, trying to get a decent rental is a nightmare!

Any my god, the place is getting hotter. It was still 27c up until a couple of weeks ago. Imagine summer!

Gimme Dublin any day.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 007
I hope your hubby is aware of how brisbane has changed in recent years.

I went back there recently after being away for 2 years. Don't get me wrong, the people are as still as "backward" and as rude as ever, but everything has gone UP, yet salaries have remained around the same.

Also, trying to get a decent rental is a nightmare!

Any my god, the place is getting hotter. It was still 27c up until a couple of weeks ago. Imagine summer!

Gimme Dublin any day.
You're joking - right??????
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
You're joking - right??????
They must be Raining again here today, but looking better for the weekend highs of 15 - 18 degrees - wonderful summer weather!

Dolly
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

strewth is an unknown quantity at this point

We're living in Sandymount in Dublin right now. We were in Australia for 11 months last year and, after a few hairy weeks of setting up home and finding work etc. we really loved it but came back to Ireland to get married. Now that we're back in Ireland we both really miss Australia. We're hoping to start a family soon and really believe that Australia is a better place for kids than Ireland. My husband is Australian and he's dying to get back there. I am too but I'm dreading telling my parents our plans...... we hope to save like mad for a year or so and then make the move.