Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved from the USA to OZ?

Wikiposts

Anyone moved from the USA to OZ?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone moved from the USA to OZ?

Anyone out there who has moved from the USA? We are thinking of moving from Southern California where ithe cost of living is so expensive. I have my brother in Perth, my husband is an IT director over here but as I gather theres not much work in this area in Perth or could I be wrong?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:14 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Not me yet Im just starting everything. And I mean at the beginning. Checking out everything I can. And we've done one of those online pretests on the point system. We got an E mail back that we have enough points. Now we just have to get the papers rolling. Sooo scary and exciting at the same time! Still seems a dream at this point. But I'm determined. Not a alot of money either. Mayby $30,000. to start with when we get there. Hope it'll be enough.
calle
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

[i]Originally posted by callë_›/i]
Not me yet Im just starting everything. And I mean at the beginning. Checking out everything I can. And we've done one of those online pretests on the point system. We got an E mail back that we have enough points. Now we just have to get the papers rolling. Sooo scary and exciting at the same time! Still seems a dream at this point. But I'm determined. Not a alot of money either. Mayby $30,000. to start with when we get there. Hope it'll be enough.
calle
We have thought about Florida too! Husband is being put off with the lack of IT jobs and the lower wages in the Perth area, housing is much cheaper than Newport Beach though. Ive got three teenagers one about to go to college next year. College education is a lot less expensive in Perth it seems. I think we will still put the application in and see what comes up. Do you have any kids?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 9:59 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doodle
We have thought about Florida too! Husband is being put off with the lack of IT jobs and the lower wages in the Perth area, housing is much cheaper than Newport Beach though. Ive got three teenagers one about to go to college next year. College education is a lot less expensive in Perth it seems. I think we will still put the application in and see what comes up. Do you have any kids?
heavens yes! four but two are grown. Boys, 26, 23, and 13. One girl, 14. They all want to go to Oz though. I hope the schools in brisbane are pretty good. Thats where we want to go. My daughter is an honor student. Wants to be in medicine.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

[i]Originally posted by callë_›/i]
heavens yes! four but two are grown. Boys, 26, 23, and 13. One girl, 14. They all want to go to Oz though. I hope the schools in brisbane are pretty good. Thats where we want to go. My daughter is an honor student. Wants to be in medicine.

I have three girls, 13, 15, 17. Had a stressful day today looking on loads of web sites for IT jobs and got depressed. My brother e mailed me today to tell me not to get put off. When they went 15 months ago they didnt see any jobs either on the internet yet both he and his wife got jobs within three weeks, a lot of jobs are advertised in the local papers. He tells me the main thing is to get the application in which means getting going now! My 17 year old is fed up with the whole thing now she doesnt know where to apply for college here or OZ, we are going round in circles. Ahh at least I feel like I'm not the only one.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 3:56 am
Home at last

Sorry for a late reply. I was just leaving work after my last reply, and wednesday is my day off. I cant seem to find computer time at home. (kids are always on it). Ridiculous isnt it. anyway, I sometimes feel simply exhausted. Trying to read everything on here as well as checking out sooo many other websites to get all the info I can. Its become an obsession. But I suppose it has to when you are trying to make such a big move. Must have been really scary before computers. at least we have the support of each other and much more info. Let me know from time to time how it goes for you. back to getting more info.....
calle
Old Mar 18th 2004, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved from the USA to OZ?

Originally posted by doodle
Anyone out there who has moved from the USA? We are thinking of moving from Southern California where ithe cost of living is so expensive. I have my brother in Perth, my husband is an IT director over here but as I gather theres not much work in this area in Perth or could I be wrong?
We are moving from Maine to Melbourne, becasue my husband is starting a job there in June, so I guess our situation is slightly different to yours. We've applied for our PR visas and sent off for police checks with the FBI and teh UK poilice so we are just waiting to hear abck at the moment. Re: cost of living. We have actually found it very low, but you can't really compare S CA with ME!!!

Our main concern is the conversion of US$ to AU$ with the current exchange rate, although it is slightly better than it was a few weeks back. Good luck with your research and job hunting.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

After reading all the stuff on this site and others I have to admit I'm having second thoughts. My conclusions so far are that there is little work in Perth for IT managers, what there is, is low pay and not enough for a mortgage and to put three kids through college. There seems to be much more opportunity on the east coast of Australia like Sydney or Melbourne but its also the most expensive place to live. We may as well stay in Southern California as its a great place to live too. We only wanted to go to Oz to be near my brother in Perth and was thinking of downsizing in about 18 months to two years. Florida (West Palm beach) will offer us a much better salary almost the same as my husband gets now, and houses are much cheaper on top of that there is no state income tax and great weather. We have been through all this immigration thing before when we came over to the states so do not wish it upon anyone. Its very stressful and it rules your life if you are not careful. Its great that people on this site are honest about their experiences as it helps others like me.
Thanks everyone. Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We made the move from San Diego to Australia at the end of last year. However work hasn't been an issue for us, as my husband is still working for his SD employer, but is just based in Oz. It's good getting paid the greenbacks but having the Oz cost of living. We loved SD but found it too expensive for housing, there was no way we would ever be able to buy a house there and the rent we were paying was ridiculous.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Hey, lucky you to get paid in US $.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved from the USA to OZ?

Hi,

I recently moved from the S.E USA to Sydney. The pace is a lot more calm than in the US. The pay depends on which state and cities you are in Aus. The cost of living is bearable except the real estate prices compared to GA are ridiculously high....