Reload this Page >

Nurses-how much experience?

Nurses-how much experience?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:24 am
Just Joined

nurseles is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Nurses-how much experience?

Hi everyone,
Im a student MHealth nurse and my husband and I want to emigrate to Oz when I qualify. Do you think I will be ok to get a Skilled Independant visa after working for a year?
Also does anyone know much about mental health nursing jobs in the Victoria area- conditions, pay etc?
Thanks!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:36 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cant remember exactly but you do need to show that you've had a certain amount of post reg experience to claim the extra points for nursing, depends whether you need the extras or not. I'm in Brisbane and also a mental health nurse, there are lots of jobs here for us.
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:49 am
Just Joined

nurseles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, at the moment if the pass mark doesnt change and I apply after a years working then i think i'll be ok with the no. of points. Just wondered- are employers concerned about how much you know regarding Australian equivalent of MH Law/Acts? Did you manage to get a job straight away then or did you do bank nursing?Any other info you have about Mhealth nursing in Oz would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nurseles
Thanks for that, at the moment if the pass mark doesnt change and I apply after a years working then i think i'll be ok with the no. of points. Just wondered- are employers concerned about how much you know regarding Australian equivalent of MH Law/Acts? Did you manage to get a job straight away then or did you do bank nursing?Any other info you have about Mhealth nursing in Oz would be much appreciated!
Hi Nurseles
Here's a couple of links to start with:

http://www.mentalhealth.gov.au/mhinfo/hsector/index.htm

www.anci.org.au

Good luck
G
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nurseles

I've only been here 4 weeks and havnt really been applying for jobs yet as my husband got one straight away so I've been sorting other things out (house, school etc) but I've been checking the paper and there seems to be plenty about. I think its important to have an idea about the aussie mental health act, also the nurses act 1992 and the competencies etc. I dont know about the other registering authorities but Queensland Nursing Council have links for all these on their website which I think is www.qnc.qld.gov.au . I'll keep you posted, I know Grayling has some interesting experiences he may share with you if you pm him
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
I've only been here 4 weeks and havnt really been applying for jobs yet as my husband got one straight away so I've been sorting other things out (house, school etc) but I've been checking the paper and there seems to be plenty about. I think its important to have an idea about the aussie mental health act, also the nurses act 1992 and the competencies etc. I dont know about the other registering authorities but Queensland Nursing Council have links for all these on their website which I think is www.qnc.qld.gov.au . I'll keep you posted, I know Grayling has some interesting experiences he may share with you if you pm him
Hi Michaela
Glad you are settling in Ok.
I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences when you do start looking.
Hope you find something to suit you.
Best wishes

G

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 18th 2004 at 8:49 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses-how much experience?

Hi, I applied for a Skilled Independent visa with 2 years full-time(40hours/week) nursing experience; my PR visa was granted. I believe that you have to have at least 12 months nursing experience immediately preceding the date you apply.

I don't think I scored any points for experience, however, I managed to get enough points for a skilled independent visa. There is a shortage of nurses everywhere in Aus. Finding a job will be a smooth transition for you.

Last edited by Ansy; Mar 21st 2004 at 2:22 pm.