Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved from the Sunshine Coast to Adelaide??????

Anyone moved from the Sunshine Coast to Adelaide??????

Old Dec 6th 2008, 6:16 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone moved from the Sunshine Coast to Adelaide??????

Hi all,
Contemplating a move from Sunny coast to Adelaide. We have been really unlucky in SC and partner really can't find work (as a plumber). We are looking at possibly moving interstate and have decidede we think that Adelaide would be best for us as there is a better standard of living there ie. cheaper rentals than melbourne/sydney and yet the wages seem more or less the same? We also have 2 children - 2 & 4 and hope that it would be a good place to bring up a young family.
It seems that even if we both had jobs in the sunny coast we would still struggle, so something has got to be done......

I would like to know any experiences from others that have done the same.

Also, is the job situation any better in Adelaide, we have seen some jobs advertised, but what are the likelihood of getting them? as we have come across some prejudice in QLD.

All in all, does it offer what you had hoped for? are the schools good? the beaches? lifestyle? wages etc.

Any thought appreciated!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:59 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved from the Sunshine Coast to Adelaide??????

Hi

Is your husband licensed? Where on the coast do you live? We have found the job situation on the coast good for tradeys - most plumbers I thought had a waiting list. Have you thought of him going on his own, I think thats mainly how tradespeople seem to work.

My husband is working in Adelaide for 3 weeks and does a fair bit down there - also our friends live there. I dont think that there is that much to do down there and the water is cold and full of sharks

Seriously though, Adelaide is a nice place but cost of living wise I think you just have to create your niche wherever you are and I dont think anywhere is that easy financially with 2 young children. I am welsh and have 3 - aged 4, 2 and 6 months and know another english girl with a new baby. I have foudn the coast really friendly and much much better than Brisbane and not quite as good as Sydney. Sydney though financially is too hard for us.

What work do you do? I think it may be a grass is greener look at things - but you never know... If you fancy going for coffee one day message me and you could bring the kids to the park or something
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Dawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant future

hi betsy

my OH is a electrician and we came to adelaide in april and after taking a initial 6 weeks off once he started to look for work he was offered the first 3 jobs he applied for,he accepted the 2nd one and has been working for the same employer since, i think most tradies are called for at the moment, hubby says most jobs he goes too peeps ask him if he knows any more electricians,plumbers,brickies etc, so i think there is enough work here at the moment, wages aren't bad at all, infact OH is earning more here now on a basic 40 hour week than he did for working 50 odd hours in the uk, we manage perfectly well on one wage at the moment.

Lifestyle depends what you want i guess, we aint really the sort of peeps who like to go out every week, more like once a year, we came here to be able to spend more time as a family(cos hubby quite often had to work 60 hours or more at work in uk) and we have definately achieved that, we live 2 mins from the beach and we go quite often, weather permitting, it does and can get pretty cold here in adelaide so it can vary some weeks we may only go once then other days we are there every day, the kids would be there all day everyday if we would let em.

We have 3 kids aged 9,10 and 16 and they have all slotting into school with no major probs, they all have friends and all enjoy school, and seem to be doing ok.

Beaches here are lovely we have plenty nice beaches u can walk the kids or the dog or both

Our original plan was to actually head to queensland, but something just drew us to adelaide and we are so glad we came, after 7 months here we love the place and couldnt imagine being anywhere else now, so much so infact we have just had a offer accepted on our first aussie home, we cant wait now to move in january,we are deffo in the brigade that now calls adelaide HOME!!

Dawn xx
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:20 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=viviennef;7042331]Hi

I dont think that there is that much to do down there and the water is cold and full of sharks

I am welsh QUOTE]

I just love it when someone answers a thread with really useful information as required by the OP!!??

But then later on in their reply it allll becomes clear as a bell!!!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:12 pm

Touche

On a serious note though there was some information cleverly hidden in my post:
  • I live on the Sunshine Coast - I had to wait 4 weeks to get a plumber to install a bathroom in my new studio flatlet building.
  • Many plumbers work on an ABN in the Sunshine Coast and are not fully employed.
  • I think this is also the case in Adelaide.
  • Without a license you will not easily get work in Queensland - not sure if that is the same in Adelaide but I would imagine so.
  • The Sunshine Coast to me is a fantastic place to live, I can't conceivably believe Adelaide would be any better although everyone has different takes and my friends in Adelaide absolutely love it there.

With 2 young children, it takes a couple of years to financially come around if you were not settled before. Its really hard. Especially when you have just had the expense of relocating. Sometimes it just takes a while to settle into a new life, new expenses etc
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:08 pm

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viviennef
Hi

Is your husband licensed? Where on the coast do you live? We have found the job situation on the coast good for tradeys - most plumbers I thought had a waiting list. Have you thought of him going on his own, I think thats mainly how tradespeople seem to work.

My husband is working in Adelaide for 3 weeks and does a fair bit down there - also our friends live there. I dont think that there is that much to do down there and the water is cold and full of sharks

Seriously though, Adelaide is a nice place but cost of living wise I think you just have to create your niche wherever you are and I dont think anywhere is that easy financially with 2 young children. I am welsh and have 3 - aged 4, 2 and 6 months and know another english girl with a new baby. I have foudn the coast really friendly and much much better than Brisbane and not quite as good as Sydney. Sydney though financially is too hard for us.

What work do you do? I think it may be a grass is greener look at things - but you never know... If you fancy going for coffee one day message me and you could bring the kids to the park or something
Hi what does your husband do, is he a plumber? Why does he need to go all the way to Adelaide for work?

I would like to 'create my own niche' as affordability comes but with only my pt job to rely on we are spaending more than earning.
My OH has a provisional license which is all they will give him untill he has been here for a year. It means that he has to work under somebody, which noone wants to do.

He has come across some prejudice - he has rang for jobs and been told that the job still exists but they won't be taking him on, or take his number and never ring back. He called for a labouring job the other day at 8.30am, the job was still available but the guy was in a meeting so he left a message to be called back...didn't hear anything so at 12 called to chase them up and they said the job was now gone. When he asked when it went she said 10am!
He has called companys on the sunshine coast and there is nothing.......you only have to look at Byron employment... you put in any other state and you get a page of jobs.... Brisbane - 1!

I wish it was a grass is greener situation but i'm afraid it's more of a CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AN INCOME! situation.
Thanks for your help though
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dawn&Andy
hi betsy

my OH is a electrician and we came to adelaide in april and after taking a initial 6 weeks off once he started to look for work he was offered the first 3 jobs he applied for,he accepted the 2nd one and has been working for the same employer since, i think most tradies are called for at the moment, hubby says most jobs he goes too peeps ask him if he knows any more electricians,plumbers,brickies etc, so i think there is enough work here at the moment, wages aren't bad at all, infact OH is earning more here now on a basic 40 hour week than he did for working 50 odd hours in the uk, we manage perfectly well on one wage at the moment.

Lifestyle depends what you want i guess, we aint really the sort of peeps who like to go out every week, more like once a year, we came here to be able to spend more time as a family(cos hubby quite often had to work 60 hours or more at work in uk) and we have definately achieved that, we live 2 mins from the beach and we go quite often, weather permitting, it does and can get pretty cold here in adelaide so it can vary some weeks we may only go once then other days we are there every day, the kids would be there all day everyday if we would let em.

We have 3 kids aged 9,10 and 16 and they have all slotting into school with no major probs, they all have friends and all enjoy school, and seem to be doing ok.

Beaches here are lovely we have plenty nice beaches u can walk the kids or the dog or both

Our original plan was to actually head to queensland, but something just drew us to adelaide and we are so glad we came, after 7 months here we love the place and couldnt imagine being anywhere else now, so much so infact we have just had a offer accepted on our first aussie home, we cant wait now to move in january,we are deffo in the brigade that now calls adelaide HOME!!

Dawn xx
Hi, Thanks for your reply, it sounds like you are getting on really well and your husband is getting lots of work, which helps!

WE ar not looking for spectacular nightlife....if we were we wouldn't be on the sunny coast! We like to go to the beach, bbqs, the odd bar and cafe/restaurants would be good also.

I have heard that they are more tolerant of migrants in Adelaide, i don't know if that is true but we have certainly come across prejudice here, and not just us, we know a builder that has had 7 jobs and had to leave all because of racism, a mechanic that was 'bullied' for 8 months at work! and a nurse that had a really hard time and also had to leave her job.

We like the cost but not enough to hang around spending all our house deposit, it has been 4 months now....time to try somewhere different
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:51 pm

Hi

My husband is a sign installer - he has a builders license. We have a Toyota contract that means he sometimes does locations out of the coast. He tries to do one trip a month as he gets paid heaps more when he is interstate then it means we can try to do more to our house - we only just bought our first one and with 3 kids under 4, one with a mild disability (therapy costs LOADS here) we need to be bringing in quite a high amount just to get by. Financially I was much better off in the UK but I also didnt have children.

We did that big Toyota on sugar road, the lexus garage in Caloundra etc - all the signage and pylon. He works for himself and works out of Brisbane a lot too - we are usually fully booked and I also now use a couple of other teams that are self employed to pass on the extra.

The license thing is the issue -they all want licenses. My friend who is an electrician is going through the same thing and is travelling back and fore to a really useless job in Brisbane but its just for a year so he is going with that.

I know where you are coming from - we went through all the prejudice when we came - in Sydney, Brisbane and on the coast. It doesnt happen in IT but in building I think it is very real. That job not ringing back and people arranging to meet you is really really frustrating. Andrew went for so many jobs just to be screwed around when he heard his accent although I do think that also once he had the negativity in his head that some of it was that being transferred over.

He got so he didnt want to go for jobs and still holds a big chip on his shoulder about lots of australian building attitudes, foremen etc. he has found though on the coast that on site the foremen are all really great and much more relaxed but he is not a fan of the australian tradesman at all.

We were completely skint for so long and we still never have any spare money but at least we can bbq on mooloolaba sea front when we dont have money and go to the beach.

I have a friend whose husband has a plumbing firm on the coast (who eventually got me in for our plumbing and it worked out I work wit his wife and didnt even know) - he is away in Melbourne this coming week but I can chat to him if you wanted me to to see if he can, or knows anyone else who can help.

Perhaps you could just get a supervisor then sort out out some other work too to keep you going through. They dont do much on the "hobble" (like off the books) as much I find here but if your husband is handy you could probably get money in just doing jobs for people.

We found it really hard to get going but now we are it is slowly getting better. It would help if I didnt keep having babies . What we did was get an ABN and set up on our own because we werent getting anywhere trying to get work with other people. First as a handyman business (jobs less than $1100) then worked towards all the licensing - for us it was horrible as the qualification doesnt exist in the UK so Andrew had to do a recognition on carpentry and then building to get the license he needed. Took about 18 months of filling in forms and about 2 years to get his license (which only came through about two months ago).

Once he started working on his own though and had a job he found people started offering him work too. He has turned down lots.

You can see us here

I find lots of good and bads here, I just thought we would slip right into the life but it wasnt like that for us either - the other thing is I have found Jan/Feb a right of job wise. We take 3 weeks off for our annual holiday but might as well take 7 weeks because the whole work thing seems to dry up in early months.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Crazy Horse is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in Adelaide just over 2 years now and love it and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the city when we fancy a night out.
Kids love their schools and the beaches and not had any negative vibes from the Adeladians.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:54 pm

The site doesnt allow links but its wkyp dot com dot au.

Because Andrew is working himself to death I called a handyman the other day - he charged $45 per hour and apparently he is cheap!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:23 am

Hi

My husband is a sign installer - he has a builders license. We have a Toyota contract that means he sometimes does locations out of the coast. He tries to do one trip a month as he gets paid heaps more when he is interstate then it means we can try to do more to our house - we only just bought our first one and with 3 kids under 4, one with a mild disability (therapy costs LOADS here) we need to be bringing in quite a high amount just to get by. Financially I was much better off in the UK but I also didnt have children.

We did that big Toyota on sugar road, the lexus garage in Caloundra etc - all the signage and pylon. He works for himself and works out of Brisbane a lot too - we are usually fully booked and I also now use a couple of other teams that are self employed to pass on the extra.

The license thing is the issue -they all want licenses. My friend who is an electrician is going through the same thing and is travelling back and fore to a really useless job in Brisbane but its just for a year so he is going with that.

I know where you are coming from - we went through all the prejudice when we came - in Sydney, Brisbane and on the coast. It doesnt happen in IT but in building I think it is very real. That job not ringing back and people arranging to meet you is really really frustrating. Andrew went for so many jobs just to be screwed around when he heard his accent although I do think that also once he had the negativity in his head that some of it was that being transferred over.

He got so he didnt want to go for jobs and still holds a big chip on his shoulder about lots of australian building attitudes, foremen etc. he has found though on the coast that on site the foremen are all really great and much more relaxed but he is not a fan of the australian tradesman at all.

We were completely skint for so long and we still never have any spare money but at least we can bbq on mooloolaba sea front when we dont have money and go to the beach.

I have a friend whose husband has a plumbing firm on the coast (who eventually got me in for our plumbing and it worked out I work wit his wife and didnt even know) - he is away in Melbourne this coming week but I can chat to him if you wanted me to to see if he can, or knows anyone else who can help.

Perhaps you could just get a supervisor then sort out out some other work too to keep you going through. They dont do much on the "hobble" (like off the books) as much I find here but if your husband is handy you could probably get money in just doing jobs for people.

We found it really hard to get going but now we are it is slowly getting better. It would help if I didnt keep having babies . What we did was get an ABN and set up on our own because we werent getting anywhere trying to get work with other people. First as a handyman business (jobs less than $1100) then worked towards all the licensing - for us it was horrible as the qualification doesnt exist in the UK so Andrew had to do a recognition on carpentry and then building to get the license he needed. Took about 18 months of filling in forms and about 2 years to get his license (which only came through about two months ago).

Once he started working on his own though and had a job he found people started offering him work too. He has turned down lots.

You can see us here

I find lots of good and bads here, I just thought we would slip right into the life but it wasnt like that for us either - the other thing is I have found Jan/Feb a right of job wise. We take 3 weeks off for our annual holiday but might as well take 7 weeks because the whole work thing seems to dry up in early months.

Hi Vivienne, thankyou for taking the time out to reply.

I appreciate that you really enjoy the coast and it sounds like it has been difficult for you also, and that even now your OH has to travel to get work. Also your friend that has to travel 1hr to Brisbane for a worthless job - that is exactly the situation we are in, but we are applying and not even getting those. We are not prepared to live like that. We expect to earn less than the UK but everyone we know on the coast is really struggling.
We like the coast but are not blown over by it, we are prepared to travel and always expected that we would have to at some point. Even doing small jobs here won't be enough, we really need a regualr income, even my pt job is casual.

It is not a case of shall we stay anymore, it is where shall we go?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:28 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Touche

On a serious note though there was some information cleverly hidden in my post:
  • I live on the Sunshine Coast - I had to wait 4 weeks to get a plumber to install a bathroom in my new studio flatlet building.
  • Many plumbers work on an ABN in the Sunshine Coast and are not fully employed.
  • I think this is also the case in Adelaide.
  • Without a license you will not easily get work in Queensland - not sure if that is the same in Adelaide but I would imagine so.
  • The Sunshine Coast to me is a fantastic place to live, I can't conceivably believe Adelaide would be any better although everyone has different takes and my friends in Adelaide absolutely love it there.

With 2 young children, it takes a couple of years to financially come around if you were not settled before. Its really hard. Especially when you have just had the expense of relocating. Sometimes it just takes a while to settle into a new life, new expenses etc

Not sure why you keep saying about the kids, where ever you live in the world having kids costs a fortune, it isnt just down to if you live in Adelaide??

We have a company here in Adelaide been going for a year now, work closely with Building Companies etc etc and can honestly say we had totally the opposite when they hear both of our strong English accents, our partner is Welsh so many have said that they hear our accents and instantly think that they will get their job done properly! Some of the works we have seen done by other companies would never leave our factory, now that words is out that our standards are so high we have repeat work continually now!

We love Adelaide been here 2 years and think its great! Each state is different and have heard many times of some that start in one state and then move to another to find what they are looking for settle and are happy, so I think if its not working out I know i personally would try another state before looking to return to England, as I certainly wouldnt want to go back there unless it was a total last resort!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:35 am

good luck!

- the travelling for work though for us is a plus - we actively search for that as we like to see places and my job i can do from anywhere so we often all go.

I am in the middle of trying to convince andrew we should go live somewhere else before kids are older - I fancy France but hes not keen.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Not sure why you keep saying about the kids, where ever you live in the world having kids costs a fortune, it isnt just down to if you live in Adelaide??

We have a company here in Adelaide been going for a year now, work closely with Building Companies etc etc and can honestly say we had totally the opposite when they hear both of our strong English accents, our partner is Welsh so many have said that they hear our accents and instantly think that they will get their job done properly! Some of the works we have seen done by other companies would never leave our factory, now that words is out that our standards are so high we have repeat work continually now!

We love Adelaide been here 2 years and think its great! Each state is different and have heard many times of some that start in one state and then move to another to find what they are looking for settle and are happy, so I think if its not working out I know i personally would try another state before looking to return to England, as I certainly wouldnt want to go back there unless it was a total last resort!
Hi thanks for your reply it's nice to know that you are getting on well. Yes i definitely want to move, and don't want to give up yet.
How ould you best describe Adelaide, is there much on your doorstep ie. childcare, schools etc or do you need to drive everywhere as you do here?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi thanks for your reply it's nice to know that you are getting on well. Yes i definitely want to move, and don't want to give up yet.
How ould you best describe Adelaide, is there much on your doorstep ie. childcare, schools etc or do you need to drive everywhere as you do here?

Each suburb has at least one school and most primary schools do the out of school hours care. There's also usually a Woolworths, Coles or Foodland in each suburb, or there's a larger shopping centre close by that has one (or more) of them, plus a grocers, butchers etc.

Adelaide is probably one of the easiest places to get about anyway. From the city you can get almost anywhere within half hour.

Also here is some info on Plumbers Licences for SA http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...gstn_07web.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.