Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Melbourne??

Wikiposts

Anyone in Melbourne??

Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Melbourne??

Hi, welcome to Victoria and Melbourne.

We've been in Beaumaris for just over a year and thoroughly enjoying it and can certainly recommend it.

Very quiet, leafy and friendly, close to the beach, just a 25 minute drive from the CBD, great concourse with some excellent shops and restaurants. My daughter goes to Beaumaris Primary and she loves it. My son is at a local nursery and he's very settled. The school could not have done more to welcome my wife and daughter and both have already made some terrific friends. Only downside is the cost of properties, you certainly pay a premium. We've been renting for a year and are looking to move to something a little less extravagant but do not want to leave Beaumaris. Also consider Black Rock (just north of Beaumaris) and Mentone (just south) - Mentone will certainly be slightly cheaper.

Good luck and if you need any info drop me a PM. You may also want to PM another expat called "ljj" as she has been in Beaumaris for a couple of years I believe.

Cheers,
Col

Originally Posted by dadofmimi
Hello all, Just thought I'd post and say hello! We moved to Williamstown in January and keep hearing how there are soooo many english people. And we haven't met any of them!

Lots of Italians, lots of Greeks and not a single British person! So I thought I'd see if there are any hiding in the closet on this forum (so to speak!!) We are a youngish couple with a small child - doing all the childreny type stuff but really need to start meeting other people apart from the ones we already know!

So hello if you are out there!

I noticed a few people posting from Elsternwick and Beaumaris - we were thinking about moving to Beaumaris and wondered how you were liking it?

Anyway, nice to meet you all, Victoria
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Hello all, Just thought I'd post and say hello! We moved to Williamstown in January and keep hearing how there are soooo many english people. And we haven't met any of them!

Lots of Italians, lots of Greeks and not a single British person! So I thought I'd see if there are any hiding in the closet on this forum (so to speak!!) We are a youngish couple with a small child - doing all the childreny type stuff but really need to start meeting other people apart from the ones we already know!

I noticed a few people posting from Elsternwick and Beaumaris - we were thinking about moving to Beaumaris and wondered how you were liking it?

Hello Dadofmimi

I just spent the last 2 hours walking the dog around Williamstown beach and along the Strand. It was packed this morning with doggy walkers, power walkers, people doing yoga and keep fit.

I have lived in Newport for 10 months and love the area.

If you fancy meeting up for a coffee, send me a pm.

Big Bird
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

didds is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,

Welcome to Melbourne. We live in Spotswood and cycle to Williamstown on Sunday's for or breakfast!
We have been in Melbourne since June last year and here in Spotswood since this March. It's just the two us at the moment but our daughter and her partner are coming out next March for a year and if they like it we will stay.
I am expecting my outlaws next Tuesday for three weeks and if I am still sane at the end Ian and I are more than happy to meet up for coffee or something stronger!!

Sue
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

dadofmimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there again! I lost the thread completely!!

I'm not very good at the computer lark but to the lady in Altona - yes I do get homesick - very often actually especially now when the time difference makes it impossible to call home before 5pm! Don't worry though...in a few weeks time you can call again in the morning at again at teatime and it's like having your pals jsut at work..only the wrong way round...You may well have seen me biking round Williamstown - I'm the lady in the REALLY ugly bright yellow long sleeved tshirt - usually having a rest near the ducks on the Rifle Range occassionally with a 3 year old on the back with an orange tigger hat on...(not very appealling I know but we are quite normal, honest!!)

Re the train issue - compared with the UK, I think I can safely say getting on a train from anywhere in Melbourne, including Frankston is about a million times better than the tube or a UK train. Although if you ask an Aussie you will be told how awful, smelly cramped, yukky etc etc etc. My only answer to that is 2 minutes on the Northern line at 7am will have them all on the plane back to melbourne!

It takes about 15 minutes to get to the main station from Williamstown North, 2 minutes longer from Williamstown. You usually have to change at Newport. Getting home can often take 2 hours if you have to connect with a tram (in my husbands case, getting on a tram from St Kilda then changing at Flinders to get the Williamstown train.) Getting home in time for Neighbours is an art form.

To Altona - it's a different line so about the same, often quicker. Altona is very different in feel to Williamtown which is a largely listed, historic place. Altona is up and coming, lots of new buildings on the front, very windy, beautful beach. If you speak a bit of Italian it could be an advantage (only joking, you need that in Willy as well!). They are very different types of places - if you are buying a house Altona can be very cheap, or damn expensive depending on how near the sea you are. Or how close to Mobil. Hope that helps! Victoria.

We are definitely coming to Cardinia park at end of October - super excited to meet you all~~!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

dadofmimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again - I'm soo awful at this. Thank you for the Beaumaris help! We went there today and it's so lovely. And yes very expensive...working on that one!

I noticed I got a private message from sass? I can't find it to open so sorry I'm not ignoring you! It would be lovely to meet some people nearby - Newport, Spotswood, Altona - I just can't work out this emailing business! Perhaps we could suggest a coffee in Williamstown maybe one lunch if you are at work, or something like that? It'd be lovely to meet you all!
Victoria David and sproglet.x
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone in Melbourne??

I noticed I got a private message from sass? I can't find it to open so sorry I'm not ignoring you!
Top right of your screen, click the link "Private Messages" - it should be there.

Buzzy
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:07 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Top right of your screen, click the link "Private Messages" - it should be there.

Buzzy

You're like a policeman who is asked directons

What is happening with meal - where are we at ??
Old Oct 15th 2006, 6:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone in Melbourne??

Originally Posted by CasG
You're like a policeman who is asked directons

What is happening with meal - where are we at ??
"To Protect and Serve" Madam....

well I'm only in melbourne from 23rd Nov - 3rd Dec so I won't be coming on 5th Nov, I will be organising a meal with a few friends weekend of 25th but I thought you said your Mum was coming then?

Buzzy
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Crumpers will become famous soon enoughCrumpers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Hello Claire

I'm not in Oz, but Melbourne is 1st on our list should we get the visa. Was looking at Altona on the realestate.com.au site, and was wondering what it was like. How do you find it for travelling into Melbourne CBD? Was also looking at Williamstown, any info would be appreciated.
Hi Dolly

I frequently pop down the road to Altona and really like the area. There's plenty of shops on the main street, a few nice cafes and takeaways etc. The beach is quite clean and there are great cycle paths from where I live all the way through to Williamstown - or further is you want!
The area is quite new compared to Williamstown, where you will find a lot more 'character' houses. Williamstown has a lovely feel about it, lots of street cafes and great restaurants.
Getting to the CBD is really easy, there is a train station in Altona, Westona and Seaholme, trains run about every 20 mins and takes about 30 mins to the city. Driving is fairly easy to, straight run on the freeway takes about 20 mins, thats obviously out of rush hour!
I think both are great areas to live, but Altona has a lot more reasonably priced housing compared to Williamstown - dependant on how close you would like to be to the sea.
There is also a lot of new developments happening in the Point Cook area, such as Sanctuary Lakes.
Hope this has helped a little, any more questions just ask away.
Keep in touch and let us know how the application process is going.
Claire
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Crumpers will become famous soon enoughCrumpers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sass73
We could have pre-pre-Xmas drinks
then pre-xmas drinks
then xmas drinks

there's a theme running here

G'day to Vic and Claire.
Just down the road from Cas
Hi Sass
Hi Cas
Thanks for the welcome

The theme sounds good to me
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Crumpers
Hi Dolly

I frequently pop down the road to Altona and really like the area. There's plenty of shops on the main street, a few nice cafes and takeaways etc. The beach is quite clean and there are great cycle paths from where I live all the way through to Williamstown - or further is you want!
The area is quite new compared to Williamstown, where you will find a lot more 'character' houses. Williamstown has a lovely feel about it, lots of street cafes and great restaurants.
Getting to the CBD is really easy, there is a train station in Altona, Westona and Seaholme, trains run about every 20 mins and takes about 30 mins to the city. Driving is fairly easy to, straight run on the freeway takes about 20 mins, thats obviously out of rush hour!
I think both are great areas to live, but Altona has a lot more reasonably priced housing compared to Williamstown - dependant on how close you would like to be to the sea.
There is also a lot of new developments happening in the Point Cook area, such as Sanctuary Lakes.
Hope this has helped a little, any more questions just ask away.
Keep in touch and let us know how the application process is going.
Claire
Thanks for the info Clare, unfortunately can only look at it on the web at the moment! hoping to be able to see it for ourselves next year

Dolly