Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone married to a non Brit?

Anyone married to a non Brit?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone married to a non Brit?

Originally Posted by furkew
Wise coments! Are you sure you are on the right web site!!!????

I've never come across people putting other people down, or being rude on BE, but I was just playing safe [/QUOTE]

No neither have i!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:21 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Yep I know how hard it is.

Weve been waiting for our visa for 7 months, hubbys checks can take ages.

People always talk to him in Italian as that is what they think he is.

Then watch the tone change when he corrects them.

We have had our share of comments and generalisations though.
great isn't it. He's Ok when he's Italian , but if he's Algerian, they have to think about it first.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:25 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Yep I know how hard it is.

Weve been waiting for our visa for 7 months, hubbys checks can take ages.

People always talk to him in Italian as that is what they think he is.

Then watch the tone change when he corrects them.

We have had our share of comments and generalisations though.

Yeah i remember as a boy going down to Australia House with my best friend to get our visas, he was in and out in 20 mins or so, i was still there hours later!!!! They actually asked me, a 17/18 year old boy if i was, or ever have been involved in government destabilising activities or if my father had ever been involved with and political group including Hezbollah!!!! All good fun!
I speak fluent spanish so every so often i talk to people in spanish, I'm a blonde fair skinned European, it throws them so much!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:26 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by furkew
great isn't it. He's Ok when he's Italian , but if he's Algerian, they have to think about it first.

I would be more concerned about the Italians!!!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Hi guys. Since its mostly Brits on here and most of us are from the UK. Is anyone married to another nationality? Maybe an Asian or South American or even European? I am thinking more of a non native speaker. The reason i ask. My wife is Thai and i have lived in Thailand for nearly 5 years. My wife is well educated and has worked in media and advertisng for a subsidury(sp) of Satchi and Satchi. Her English is great. But the reason for this thread is. My wife has never lived in another country before. Certainly she/we have travelled. But its not the same. I know there is a big Asian communty in Oz. But back to my question. How did she/he fit in when you went to Oz? Any problems? Her/his first impressions? Ok enough for now. Just thought i'd ask. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Hi There,

I am married to an Iranian. We have spent some time in OZ and have not found any problems so far. Most of the problems came from her fellow Iranians looking down on each other. Having lived in a few places around the world, its our experience that anywhere you go, if you have a good attitude then you'll have a good time.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:42 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi There,

I am married to an Iranian. We have spent some time in OZ and have not found any problems so far. Most of the problems came from her fellow Iranians looking down on each other. Having lived in a few places around the world, its our experience that anywhere you go, if you have a good attitude then you'll have a good time.

Not bloody wrong!!! I have said the same thing so many times!!! Got told once that the greatest thing you can take to another country is a smile!!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:23 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your comments. Is there anymore?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

margoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps.... my partner is Canadian/English and has no trouble to fit in here at all. I'm German (catch your breath - I'm actually a very nice person!) and stand out simply by my accent. So far it hasn't been a problem. Actually rather on the contrary, it's often the start of a conversation 'where are you from... oh really... my grandparents emigrated from Germany 100 years ago...' or something like that. Than I have to spell my surname and explain that I unfortunately don't know Mr. X or Mrs. y, who is the last remaining relative and lives in a tiny village close to the Czechoslovakian border. If not they have at least heard from the Octoberfest and want to know what I think about the local 'Schutzenfest'

It stays superficial though. But I think that's rather age related. Being in our end 30s it's just getting harder to get to know likeminded people who are not all tied up with family.

So I'm sure your wife will be just fine here.

Cheers margoo
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

It's a different situation, but I'm married to a non-Brit - he's Dutch and we lived in Holland for more than 15 years before we emigrated here 3 yrs ago. He loves it here. It took a little while for him to find a good job - luckily he worked for an well-known international company before we moved here. He speaks excellent English. Recruiting agencies, headhunters and employers can be a little difficult/reluctant with non-native speakers, but if your wife has the kind of experience and qualifications they're looking for and her English is good enough it should be a bit easier. Oh yes....a bit of luck helps too
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I am married to a English/Vietnamese bloke...he has always spoken English though.

We have been here 6 years and apart from the typical 'bloody Pom' comments have never experienced any hassle. In fact we were both taken aback recently when an English visiting mate (who lives in Scotland) asked if we did get racist comments. Neither of us had even thought about it before she mentioned it.

Lots of Aussies think Mr P is a local as there are approx 1 m Australian Asians, and are surprised at his English accent.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:25 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Is it easy for an Asian to get a job in a proffesional job? Working in a Thai restaurant is the last choice.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:36 am
Straw Man.

Is it easy for an Asian to get a job in a proffesional job? Working in a Thai restaurant is the last choice.

Depends what profession and how skilled you are i think!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm married to a Hong Kong or Chinese woman, I think, though she may be indian, I dunno, I didn't marry her to talk to her. She seems to speak english quite well, but I try not to listen.

Anyway, when we arrived here turns out she got a professional job before I did, so it didn't work against her. Shes since given that up, but if we run short of cash, I'll be ringing round the Thai restaurants offering a waitress.
Come to think of it, she might be Thai. I did once experience a white transit van in Belfast slow down beside us, and a load of tradies lean out and start shouting/asking how much I paid for her. The jokes on them though, she was free, and she can cook!

JTL
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is from Latin America - Spanish descent - but looks European which is bizarre as she doesn't look anything like a) South American, or Spanish.

Her English is nigh on perfect - she's lived in UK for half her life.

People think she is Scandinavian or E Europe over here.

badge
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Jockstar,

Since you are starting in Thailand, I am surprised no one has mentioned the absence of maids as the biggest potential cultural shock. Your wife could be coming from a background where a maid is assumed. Here they are virtually unknown.

As to cultural/racial issues, if you are in a capital city, it would be safe to assume there will be no problems at all: mixed marriages are basically the norm. A female work colleague from Hong Kong explained to me her apprehension when she first arrived but after living here for five years returned to HK for a holiday. When she returned and flew over the Harbour Bridge, she said "I'm home!"

Home sickness, which can afflict anyone, is a far bigger risk than anything to do with being Thai. It's even easier if you have kids. Our suburb has gone from 95% white Anglo Saxon to over 50% south east Asian in 10 years and living here one barely notices it has happened unless in reminiscing mode.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.