Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

Wikiposts

Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:47 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

Originally Posted by g-man
hi we are also in the early stages, TRA stage, we are not to far away from manchester we live in cumbria and Toowoomba is on our short list ( it is fav at the moment)

G-MAN
I G - man. We have friends that live in Toowoomba and we have been told it is very beautiful. Have you ever been? There is a website about Toowoomba if you fancy a look. It is Toowoomba.com

Julie
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:49 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Plenty of us from Sale coming out. I'm flying to Brisbane 30th June with family to follow (hubby Jon, Dave (18) and Jake (12). Met another couple from Sale (Steve and Tracy, also coming out).
Hi Sue, Good luck with your move, Hope we here from you once you are settled to see how you are finding it.
Julie
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:56 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Talking Re: Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

Originally Posted by rita
hi,
Im from Oldham-Gtr manchester. Must say i miss manchester whilst Im out there (home for holiday now-got spouse visa last month! Can work at last!!) dont' laugh! I miss the nightlife and its more exciting city than brisbane and never stop missing family and friends but you learn to live with it!!! Must say ive been there on and off for 2 years now and they're finally starting to come round to our (better!) sense of humour-the office etc thank god!! Can only take so much american sitcoms! My boyfriends actually is starting to get peter kay-took a while. Tried him on League of gentlemen that's a bit trickier.

Im going back may 1st too-anyone got any room in their container for a box or two and headin to Brisbane soon please PM me!!!

Last comment- i think and my boyfriend (aussie) noticed whilst he was over here the kids (with a few exceptions) seem a lot better behaved/more considerate over there. Don't ask me why-maybe they get outside more. But I have never seen kids drunk on back of buses or fighting in the streets or vandalising bus stops etc etc which I see regulary here. Maybe its just that I haven't seen it but you just don't hear about it as much. I reckon teaching might be easier out there?

Good luck and be prepared to have your ascent laughed at regulary( does anyone else say 'vegitubels' or is that just me?!)
Hi Rita, No you are not the only person to say Vegitubels, I say it too ha ha. We are not leaving Manchester until next June so we have quite a way to go yet. I am pleased to hear your boyfriend is getting used to our programmes, What is there not to like about peter Kay?? I will miss English T.V for sure. Do you get many English programmes there? Do you have any regrets about leaving England? Do you work in Oz? Because I will not be working at first and I am worried about becoming isolated. We are moving to Toowoomba which isnt to far from Brisbane (I dont think??)
Julie
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:06 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

hi mel

we are trying to get in on my husbands trade, painter and decorator (60 points). we live in norden. we have been deliberating over this for years, as my brother lives over there. it was hard, and we ummed and aaahed about it for ages, finally decided over xmas this year. if we didn't do it, we will regret it in future years, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc. we are leaving (or hope to be!!) a good life over here, but what the hell. my husbands estranged from most of his family, and his mum and dad have both passed away. we have told my family, but only just, but they all knew it was in the pipeline, as we had been deliberating about it for so long. also, my mum/dad, sister and family, and brother and family, are all hoping to follow. i don't know whether that's a good or bad thing!!!!
it's such a long drawn out process though, isn't it? we have mentioned it to our eldest child, and at first he was "no way" cheeky man!! he has now come round to the idea though, and keeps bringing it up. we have to keep telling him that we might not get in, there are loads of steps to take, and we can get turned down at any of the steps. the littleun doesn't understand, of course.
i am sure your boys will love it, once you get over there. it will be harder for them at that age, making new friends etc, it's def easier the younger they are.
i worked in travel for nearly 20 years, and it looks good on the job front for me. a little bit harder i think for a painter and decorator, but wont know until we get there. somehow, i can't image my hubbie as a 'househusband'!! :scared: more likely!!

good luck with your application

michelle
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:02 am
woooohoooo!

kate has a spectacular aura aboutkate has a spectacular aura aboutkate has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: Anyone from Manchester moving to Oz??

do you have to go through police checks going to Oz, what if you have been arrested with a caution? :scared:
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:05 am
crazy, sexy,cool member

Originally Posted by kate
do you have to go through police checks going to Oz, what if you have been arrested with a caution? :scared:
You do have to have police checks when you are moving to Oz. I think you should be ok if you have just had a caution but I am not 100% sure. Are you moving to Oz?
Julie
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

rita is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Hi Rita, No you are not the only person to say Vegitubels, I say it too ha ha. We are not leaving Manchester until next June so we have quite a way to go yet. I am pleased to hear your boyfriend is getting used to our programmes, What is there not to like about peter Kay?? I will miss English T.V for sure. Do you get many English programmes there? Do you have any regrets about leaving England? Do you work in Oz? Because I will not be working at first and I am worried about becoming isolated. We are moving to Toowoomba which isnt to far from Brisbane (I dont think??)
Julie

Hi, You get to watch UK tv which is ok but a bit too much The Bill. Don't watch that much tv really anyway. Theres $1 video night thurs at global video i think or could be one next door in west end in brisbane, think Ive seen it in many places though. I reckon you need to keep busy even if you're not working as you can get lonely and feel a bit pointless. I will be working-don't have job yet. Not really regrets as such but im there becaue of my boyfriend and not because i have the urge to live there so i guess i don't judge it in the way others do. I think Toowomba is about 1 and a half hours away but not really sure, never been there, could be totally wrong. Hope all goes well for you. Since i am on the Manchester site can I ask does anyone know of any cheap Thai restaurants in the city centre for a leaving do-whats everyone else doing?!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:07 am
Merlot

[QUOTE=The Hun]Kind of. We've had a offer of asking price, trouble is the girl who wants it has a flat in Whalley Range and can't seem to sell it.
QUOTE]

Can't imagine why!!! Used to live in Rowan Avenue, Whalley Range then Brundretts road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy many moons.

M

Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:12 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Merlot]
Originally Posted by The Hun
Kind of. We've had a offer of asking price, trouble is the girl who wants it has a flat in Whalley Range and can't seem to sell it.
QUOTE]

Can't imagine why!!! Used to live in Rowan Avenue, Whalley Range then Brundretts road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy many moons.

M
aaaaaaarrrr studentvil and a good source of ganja it's like the wild west around there at times
Old Apr 15th 2005, 6:41 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by jonni boy
aaaaaaarrrr studentvil and a good source of ganja it's like the wild west around there at times
Yep it was at times!

M

Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Merlot
Yep it was at times!

M
And still is...................
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:20 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by The Hun
And still is...................
Great to hear that piece of news !!!

The only changes in Manchester are the prices of Man U tickets and the quality of prawn sandwiches at OT

I can say this as hubby was born in Manchester, watched them when they were not a marketable proposition from the age of 6 in 1975 and did until he was dragged kicking a screaming to Oz in 1987!

M (Mrs Red Missus)

Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit
Hi, I am new to this and was just wondering if anyone from Manchester is on-line?

Me and my husbans are from Manchester and are 25 and 28 and are hoping to move to Queensland by next June.

Just wondered if anybody else is going through the same thing in the area??
Julie
I was born in Manchester, obviously thats why I'm not a red, been here for 9 months and life is superb.

Andy
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:39 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by andy thomas
I was born in Manchester, obviously thats why I'm not a red, been here for 9 months and life is superb.

Andy
At least you are aware Manchester has two major football teams, when we were in Oz we used to see Japanese tourists with the Beckham shirts on (going back a bit).

Had hours of fun asking them to list the Utd first team (bar Becks) or about Maine Road.

M