Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone living in Nelson Bay / Port Stephens area? Anything to do there on a holiday

Anyone living in Nelson Bay / Port Stephens area? Anything to do there on a holiday

Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:36 pm
Banned

AK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really nice
Default Anyone living in Nelson Bay / Port Stephens area? Anything to do there on a holiday

Hi guys.

We are looking for a holiday when we arrive. We are looking at the nelson/shoal bay / port stephens area.

We can get accomodation n o prblems buyt is there much to do there of a night?

We want some bars / eateries and may want to do a bit of shopping.

Are there many shops?
Are there many places to eat and if so a good variety?
Is there much to do in the daytime?

Thanks for any answers. My partner gets awful bored easy.

Any advice is great.

thanks

aj
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

the murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the roughthe murrays is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone living in Nelson Bay / Port Stephens area? Anything to do there on a holid

Originally Posted by AK and CR
Hi guys.

We are looking for a holiday when we arrive. We are looking at the nelson/shoal bay / port stephens area.

Are there many shops?

Any advice is great.

thanks

aj
Nelson Bay is a nice place,if you like boats etc, we stayed there the night before christmas eve, so there was carols by the bay. People seemed nice, I think it would be quiet, if not much on. You can hand feed the fish at nelsons bay. Port stephens was nice.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:44 pm
Banned

AK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really niceAK and CR is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone living in Nelson Bay / Port Stephens area? Anything to do there on a holid

Originally Posted by the murrays
Nelson Bay is a nice place,if you like boats etc, we stayed there the night before christmas eve, so there was carols by the bay. People seemed nice, I think it would be quiet, if not much on. You can hand feed the fish at nelsons bay. Port stephens was nice.
Thanks

Is there anywhere to get a bite to eat and have a beer?

If so is there a GOOD VARIETY OF dining available like chineese indian seafood etc?

Are there many pubs/bars?

thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Is there anywhere to get a bite to eat and have a beer?

If so is there a GOOD VARIETY OF dining available like chineese indian seafood etc?

Are there many pubs/bars?

thanks
Nelson Bay - plenty of places to eat and drink, we go there loads. Bit low on the decent Indian places, most of Aus is IMO. Think Thai and Steak houses and italian and you are nearer the mark. Seafood is plentiful.

You possibly need to eat early not many holiday places stay open that late outside of major resorts.

Drinking is fine!

Cheers

More to do if you have a car.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi guys.

Are there many shops?

Any advice is great.

thanks

aj
there's been a few threads on the area, i know because i recently had a look before we went for a long weekend
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454226

how long are you planning on staying? there's probably enough to fill a week but not much longer unless you start exploring further afield in to the Hunter or Newcastle
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:44 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Nelson Bay - plenty of places to eat and drink, we go there loads. Bit low on the decent Indian places, most of Aus is IMO. Think Thai and Steak houses and italian and you are nearer the mark. Seafood is plentiful.

You possibly need to eat early not many holiday places stay open that late outside of major resorts.

Drinking is fine!

Cheers

there is an indian, in fact i think it won some sort of award. we picked up a menu from there the other day. dont know if i've still got it..........hang on <<<<<rummaging about>>>>>>.................yep, its called "the only place". multi award winner...blimey, are you ready for this........

multi award winner of restaurant & catering association awards NSW
best indian restaurant: hunter regional awards for excellence 2002/2003/2004/2005
finalist NSW state awards for excellence 2004
finalist national awards for excellence 2003
port stephens small business awards winner - international cuisine 2004

............mmm, not much happened since 2004/2005, but hey ho, before that.....its been going since 1998, so they must be doing something right.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandra

Drinking is fine!

Cheers

Thanks alot buddy.

What time do pubs and restaurants shut there please?

Are they majorly early like 7 pm or do the shut at a reasonable 10pm?

Also what is there to do recreational wise.

Can you ski or snowboard those dunes??

Im a qualified diver so i fancy the diving a little. I read your thread but it didnt tell me much exept for where to stay which isnt a problem for us thats why i started this one.

We just call in the last minute. We should be there for a hol for 2 weeks.

thanks alot

aj
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
there is an indian, in fact i think it won some sort of award. we picked up a menu from there the other day. dont know if i've still got it..........hang on <<<<<rummaging about>>>>>>.................yep, its called "the only place". multi award winner...blimey, are you ready for this........

multi award winner of restaurant & catering association awards NSW
best indian restaurant: hunter regional awards for excellence 2002/2003/2004/2005
finalist NSW state awards for excellence 2004
finalist national awards for excellence 2003
port stephens small business awards winner - international cuisine 2004

............mmm, not much happened since 2004/2005, but hey ho, before that.....its been going since 1998, so they must be doing something right.
That sounds great, thanks SB.

Is it more of a bustling weekend town and sleepy in the week?

If so How far is Newcastle and the hunter valley from nelson bay please minutes and distance wise whichever you know thanks as we neewd other things to do if this is the case.

Are they worth a visit?

I have heard the Hunter
Valley is beautiful but is there anything ti do except go to vineyards?

I have heard that newcastle is an ugly industrial town, is there much to do there and is it true?

Sorry for all the questions but we want the most out of our 2 weeks as thats most of the hols for the year taken up then.

We have to be around that area as a reli is based there but doesnt go out and do much so they are useless to ask.

Thanks for the replies, much apreciated guys. This site is sure awsome!!

Aj
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Hi guys.

Are there many shops?

Any advice is great.

thanks

aj
If you wanted to come down to Newcastle for a night out you would probably be best heading for Darby Street or over to Beaumont Street in Hamilton. Plenty of restaurants to choose from and a couple of pubs with live music. There are loads of places to go but these are the two main concentrated areas.
Julie
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 11:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Macquarie
If you wanted to come down to Newcastle for a night out you would probably be best heading for Darby Street or over to Beaumont Street in Hamilton. Plenty of restaurants to choose from and a couple of pubs with live music. There are loads of places to go but these are the two main concentrated areas.
Julie

Thats great news thanks alot for this information

Are these places ok to take teenagers early evening?

I guess what i mean is are they rough or decent and what sort of crowd hang out there?

Is it a mixed bag or generally 18 - 40?

Do we need our wits about us at all times or just a bit of common sense. Or even better not at all.

I dont mind, just thinking of the OH and kids. I guess we would go to look about the place for an early evening meal. Would this area be suitable for this.

And finally.........What time does the area shut down just in case the rellative will teenage sit for us??

Sorry about all the questions dude, wanna pack in as much in 2 weeks a possible!! Itll be next year then before we have any time off!!

laters

aj

Thanks alot
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great news thanks alot for this information

Are these places ok to take teenagers early evening?

I guess what i mean is are they rough or decent and what sort of crowd hang out there?

Is it a mixed bag or generally 18 - 40?

Do we need our wits about us at all times or just a bit of common sense. Or even better not at all.

I dont mind, just thinking of the OH and kids. I guess we would go to look about the place for an early evening meal. Would this area be suitable for this.

And finally.........What time does the area shut down just in case the rellative will teenage sit for us??

Sorry about all the questions dude, wanna pack in as much in 2 weeks a possible!! Itll be next year then before we have any time off!!

laters

aj

Thanks alot
Darby St is like any street with quite a few bars/pubs/hotels - you could take your teenagers for some food early on (provided the place was licensed/ok for under 18s) but come 9 or 10 there would be less of a 'family-appropriate' atmosphere in the bars. (Clearly depending on what you think is appropriate for you to do as a family!)

Hunter Valley has wine, also horseriding, hunter valley gardens, maitland gaol, morpeth is small but pretty and boutiquey and quite historical, big shopping centre at greenhills, some lovely walks - although remember that there is still flood water in places from the recent storms.

Newcastle's reputation as an ugly industrial town is outofdate, imo - yes there is still industry, and if you drive in from the north on the coastal road then that will be the first thing you see. But there are also some lovely harbourside cafes/bars, lovely beaches, decent bars/restaurants/shops. If you find things too small and touristy after a week in Port Stephens then you might appreciate a day or two in Newcastle.

Sydney is only another two hours down the coast, so if you don't fancy any of the above then just keep on driving!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:35 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alot buddy.

What time do pubs and restaurants shut there please?

Are they majorly early like 7 pm or do the shut at a reasonable 10pm?

Also what is there to do recreational wise.

Can you ski or snowboard those dunes??

Im a qualified diver so i fancy the diving a little. I read your thread but it didnt tell me much exept for where to stay which isnt a problem for us thats why i started this one.

We just call in the last minute. We should be there for a hol for 2 weeks.

thanks alot

aj
Hi AJ,

We dive too and Nelson Bay is one of the best places on the NSW coast for diving!! You will not be dissapointed if you do a few dives there. Very good (ie cheap!) shore diving along with boat dives further afield to places like Broughton Island - great swim throughs, Grey Nurse Sharks etc.

Dave Harasti is a friend who lives in the bay and has a great website - have a flick through pictures to get a feel for the life you can find underwater (it's an astonishing amount!).

There are lots of places which do 4wd tours on Stockton dunes - or you cn do it yourself of course - and I think sand boarding will not be a problem either.

Hope this helps - enjoy your holiday!

Graham
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Hi AJ,
or you cn do it yourself of course
Yes, you can it is true, but I would recommend you don't unless you really know what you are doing! Every time I've been up there I've seen some poor person get stuck because they did something wrong that they didn't even know they were doing wrong until it was too late. It can be dangerous too if you get over-confident and are not experienced. (Even if you are experienced, actually!)

Have a great SAFE holiday!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:33 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Yes, you can it is true, but I would recommend you don't unless you really know what you are doing! Every time I've been up there I've seen some poor person get stuck because they did something wrong that they didn't even know they were doing wrong until it was too late. It can be dangerous too if you get over-confident and are not experienced. (Even if you are experienced, actually!)

Have a great SAFE holiday!
True - I gather that people have died when out on Stockton Dunes dunes in 4x4's as they get overconfident as you say and think they can catch air etc..

Graham
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northerner
True - I gather that people have died when out on Stockton Dunes dunes in 4x4's as they get overconfident as you say and think they can catch air etc..

Graham
Cheers graham. Is sand boarding done with a surf board, snowboard or a plank of wood?

Can you ski them too then fi its a snowboard?

Diving sounds great! Ill have to have a look on my hols.

aj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.