Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived or visited Kimberley in Australia

Anyone lived or visited Kimberley in Australia

Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Missy m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone lived or visited Kimberley in Australia

I have just seen a job in Kimberely and the area looks like the wilderness. I just wondered if anyone had been or lived there and what is it like

thanks
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone lived or visited Kimberley in Australia

It's very remote and very pretty. People come from all over the world to visit Broome and it's surrounds. Where is your job?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes it looks pretty but like you say remote. Everytime I google it I just see the lovely wilderness no residential areas, shops, no sense of community I just wanted to ask if anyone had any experience of the area.

It really does look like an area that attracts tourists, I suppose living over there is a different matter entirely.

THe area I wanted specific information is The Shire of Halls Creek.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have family and friends in Broome who have a great life. However Halls Creek is another kettle of fish. I haven't actually been there as I've always flown to Broome and Darwin, the furthest north I've been by car (in my living memory anyway) is Port Hedland in the Pilbara. Reports from family members don't paint Halls Creek in the most positive of lights and you may not get too many responses on here as it's not the kind of town most expats would move to. What industry are you going to work in? What's your family situation? If you are a young person on their own without kids to think about, it could be a great outback experience.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Missy m
I have just seen a job in Kimberely and the area looks like the wilderness. I just wondered if anyone had been or lived there and what is it like

thanks
The Kimberley is an area, not a town or city. Info here on the region.

I think like the other posts have said it's not an area that many expats would move to. It's very remote and very hot. All year long!

Do some research on areas, since a lot of people don't realise just how large Australia (particularly WA) is. As an example, The Kimberley is larger than Japan but has a total population of around 25000.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

hi

Thanks for your replies.

Kim can i ask whaty kind of comments your family have made about the area?

I did have a feeling that i wouldn't receive many comments on the area and it is like you say not the kind of area that expats move to but I saw a job in Environmental Health that I really wanted to do.

I am married with a 3 year so probably not the best place to move to.

Dorothy - thank you for that link, it was very informative and such an eye opener, i had no idea that Kimberely was so big. My goodness reading a few sections on the site is quite a worry, as they mention that in some areas we would not be able to use our mobile phones, or the internet. So I really do not think this is a place for us being cut off from the world so to speak. Well it was a nice idea when it lasted.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

THe area I wanted specific information is The Shire of Halls Creek.
Don't do it. Halls Creek is a shithole, chock full of drunken aboriginals.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hi

Thanks for your replies.

Kim can i ask whaty kind of comments your family have made about the area?

I did have a feeling that i wouldn't receive many comments on the area and it is like you say not the kind of area that expats move to but I saw a job in Environmental Health that I really wanted to do.

I am married with a 3 year so probably not the best place to move to.

Dorothy - thank you for that link, it was very informative and such an eye opener, i had no idea that Kimberely was so big. My goodness reading a few sections on the site is quite a worry, as they mention that in some areas we would not be able to use our mobile phones, or the internet. So I really do not think this is a place for us being cut off from the world so to speak. Well it was a nice idea when it lasted.
Renth has summed it up.