Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Templestowe area in Melbourne

Anyone live in Templestowe area in Melbourne

Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice
Default Anyone live in Templestowe area in Melbourne

hiya

I have fallen in love with Templestowe mainly cause the houses are newer, it sems like a good neighbourhood and you get more for your money. Only complication is we want our son to go to private school in the Malvern, Glen iris, Caulfied areas which seem to be some distance from TEmplestowe. We can't afford the houses is those areas and quite frankly I find older houses depressing. Just wonderd how people living in Templestowe find it and would it be too far to drive to school?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:05 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone live in Templestowe area in Melbourne

I don't live in Templestowe but you might get more answers by asking this question on BritVics http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics as this is just for people in Victoria. Good luck.

Lorraine
Old Aug 15th 2006, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dade
hiya

I have fallen in love with Templestowe mainly cause the houses are newer, it sems like a good neighbourhood and you get more for your money. Only complication is we want our son to go to private school in the Malvern, Glen iris, Caulfied areas which seem to be some distance from TEmplestowe. We can't afford the houses is those areas and quite frankly I find older houses depressing. Just wonderd how people living in Templestowe find it and would it be too far to drive to school?
I agree with the previous poster, britvics might give you a better repsonse.

We live in Viewbank, which is just the other side of the Banyule flats from Templestowe and I agree it's a lovely area. One thing you should note though, is that the whole council (Manningham) does not have as good a public transport system as other areas in Melbourne (no trains or trams). So I would imagine that the roads get pretty congested in peak hours as everyone is in the same boat.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hi

Templestowe's a really nice area with lots of red-roofed houses around a very hilly dual carriageway. Houses vary from smallish blocks with smallish gardens to mini-mansions to absolutely huge huge things. They've got one on the market for $3.5million but you rarely see them above $1.5million and the cheapest may be around $400,000.

There's a clean pleasant small shopping area (like our out of town shopping precincts) with 3 supermarkets a few small dress shops, florist, banks, post office, dozens of places to eat, record shop, and the equivalent of Woolworths known as Target.

When we first were looking from the UK we thought Caulfield was our best bet due to transport systems but apparently you're going to be in the minority if you're not a strictly orthodox Jew wearing the full costume, etc. I haven't been because my husband found our rental before I got here and never had cause to break out of my quickly discovered comfort zone.

I'm unsure what you're looking for in schools - there are excellent free and private schools in the area. We've just moved our daughter from Andersons Creek in Warrandyte (4 mins from Templestowe) to Ringwood North (10 mins) when we moved from Warrandyte to Donvale. Both are lovely areas but if you're set on more modern properties then Templestowe would suit you.

We've friends with kids in Whitefriars Catholic Boys School, Tintern Private School, East Doncaster High School, Aquinas School and Warrandyte High School - all in the catchment area and all well respected.

Education is very different from that in the UK but can still be excellent - do shop around. We were very happy with Andersons Creek until we found Ringwood North and now realise we could find exactly what we wanted with only a little more research.

If I can help any more please get in touch.

Flip
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought there was too much difference in the price in Templestowe compared to Caulfield in particular.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2005866600

Unless you are in the market for 1 million dollar plus houses.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a quick check, there are 3 pages of ad's on domain.com.au for houses in the 1mill to 4 mill in Templestowe.... 2 Pages in Caulfeild, and about 9 in Malvern.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 11:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dade
hiya

A school friend lives there and commutes to her surgery in Elsternwick each day.

Personally I am the other way finding new builds depressing - horses for courses as they say. Have you also checked out Balwyn or Doncaster? slightly closer in but still close to Templestowe?

Which school in Malvern?
Old Aug 15th 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

Haven't quite gotten that far yet, just noticed that there seems to be a concentration of good private schools there. My son is only 2 years old now so he would be going in at prep level. Thanks, will try Balwyn and Bulleen etc. They do seem nearer.