Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live nr Amberley, Queensland?

Anyone live nr Amberley, Queensland?

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

RUGBYGAL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone live nr Amberley, Queensland?

Hi All,

Hubby looking to relocate to amberley with work. Been looking at houses in Yamanto and Flinders View. Does anyone live in these areas who would be willing to share opinions on the nicer area? Or on other areas near Amberley?

I know these are your own opinions but just would be interested in knowing what your views are. Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone live nr Amberley, Queensland?

Originally Posted by RUGBYGAL
Hi All,

Hubby looking to relocate to amberley with work. Been looking at houses in Yamanto and Flinders View. Does anyone live in these areas who would be willing to share opinions on the nicer area? Or on other areas near Amberley?

I know these are your own opinions but just would be interested in knowing what your views are. Thanks.
Hi I am from around the Ipswich area and my ex and some nieces live in Flinders view and Yamanto.Both are suburbs of Ipswich,all I know is the both places have some nice houses.I never heard much bad about either place..I lived in Amberley as a kid as dad was in the RAAF ,which is where the RAAF is based and if I remember right there is something to bo with Boeing there as well.There are schools shopping centers there in Yamanto and Flinder View and Ipswich city center is only a five minute drive away with one public and one private hospital there,shopping centers ect.
Ask any thing and if I don't know will ask family still in the area.
Cheers Lorri
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My son used to commute to Amberley from Indooripilly.

He is due to move back to Brisbane and is going to be based at Amberley again and is planning to live in Indooripilly again and do the same trip.

It is no big deal so there are lots of places in Brisbane which would suit you.

G
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi I am from around the Ipswich area and my ex and some nieces live in Flinders view and Yamanto.Both are suburbs of Ipswich,all I know is the both places have some nice houses.I never heard much bad about either place..I lived in Amberley as a kid as dad was in the RAAF ,which is where the RAAF is based and if I remember right there is something to bo with Boeing there as well.There are schools shopping centers there in Yamanto and Flinder View and Ipswich city center is only a five minute drive away with one public and one private hospital there,shopping centers ect.
Ask any thing and if I don't know will ask family still in the area.
Cheers Lorri
Thanks both for replying.

Supersonic4 - will definitely take you up on your offer of asking more nearer the time. Hubby is looking to work for Boeing at RAAF Amberley, he is currenlty RAF in the UK, but waiting to attend interview for Boeing (relocation included) Do you know what the job situation is like around there? (Don't mind commuting) I am a trained Primary School teacher. However, I have worked in management and have a law degree.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks both for replying.

Supersonic4 - will definitely take you up on your offer of asking more nearer the time. Hubby is looking to work for Boeing at RAAF Amberley, he is currenlty RAF in the UK, but waiting to attend interview for Boeing (relocation included) Do you know what the job situation is like around there? (Don't mind commuting) I am a trained Primary School teacher. However, I have worked in management and have a law degree.
Sorry Supersonic4 seems impersonal to call you that...just realised you signed off Lorri. Apologies...Emma x
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Hi, a friend of ours lives in Wynum on the bayside and works at amberly, 150km a day commute :scared:
Many people on here have a dim view of Ipswitch and the surrounding areas. If you ask real estate agents though Ipswitch is boom area with huge growth potential and fantastic investment opportunity.
We are looking at areas around Karalee etc. You can get an amazing place on Acreage for $400k-$500k.
Lots of work around here. Our friend is on $60k in maint, some will tell you can't live on that but hey, you live to your means.

Most peoples reasons for avioding Ipswich is the temp extremes. It gets hotter in the day and colder at night. It is not so built up and you gotta love being a redneck

Last edited by The S's; Sep 4th 2006 at 11:56 am.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

hiya we are living in brassall in the grammar park estate and i know there are a lot of raaf houses here too, my neighbour is in the raaf and it only takes her about 10minutes.

we too are from south wales and have been here 5 wks, it would be lovely to hear from you to see if you move into the area.

flinders view are also home to many raaf employees and they too are nice houses on nice estates, not too sure about yomanto though not really been there, i personally preferred grammar park estate out of the 2 but thats my opinion.

hope it helps
louise

Hi All,

Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

rightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The S's
Hi, a friend of ours lives in Wynum on the bayside and works at amberly, 150km a day commute :scared:
Many people on here have a dim view of Ipswitch and the surrounding areas. If you ask real estate agents though Ipswitch is boom area with huge growth potential and fantastic investment opportunity.
We are looking at areas around Karalee etc. You can get an amazing place on Acreage for $400k-$500k.
Lots of work around here. Our friend is on $60k in maint, some will tell you can't live on that but hey, you live to your means.

Most peoples reasons for avioding Ipswich is the temp extremes. It gets hotter in the day and colder at night. It is not so built up and you gotta love being a redneck

Having lived in Yamanto, I would agree with the comments about the extreme temps here, also, there isn't much going on in Ipswich.It,s SLOW and home to many rednecks, there are far better places to live within commuting distance to Amberley.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
hiya we are living in brassall in the grammar park estate and i know there are a lot of raaf houses here too, my neighbour is in the raaf and it only takes her about 10minutes.

we too are from south wales and have been here 5 wks, it would be lovely to hear from you to see if you move into the area.

flinders view are also home to many raaf employees and they too are nice houses on nice estates, not too sure about yomanto though not really been there, i personally preferred grammar park estate out of the 2 but thats my opinion.

hope it helps
louise
Thanks again all ....any more views keep them coming. Louise will email you if hubby gets job....be good to start out knowing someone...thanks again x
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rightmove
Having lived in Yamanto, I would agree with the comments about the extreme temps here, also, there isn't much going on in Ipswich.It,s SLOW and home to many rednecks, there are far better places to live within commuting distance to Amberley.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received Rightmove?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by loopyloo2

hope it helps
louise
Where abouts in Wales are you from? What made you make the move to Oz? I know it's early days but are you glad you did it? Sorry about all the Q's, it's just nice to be able to speak to people who have done it.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

rightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the roughrightmove is a jewel in the rough

Any suggestions would be gratefully received Rightmove?
As you were interested in Yamanto , I imagine you're looking for a 4 bed lowset home on an established estate ? Karana Downs may be worth a look , it's an older estate but doesn't have much in the way of local shops. Bellbowrie also is quite popular , Mount Ommaney, Jindalee.I think it comes down to the feel of the place and if you want to have shops and facilities nearby.If you would like more info , I'd be happy to pm you with my views of the place.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 5:27 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Having grown up just west of Ipswich I can testify that it is definitely looked down upon by the locals - don't go out after 5, don't go out alone, just don't go there...the only place my mum has ever been robbed, the mall is fall of street rats having domestics, full of teenage mums and druggies and rednecks...blech blech blech...my sister works there in real estate and some of the houses she has to inspect have made her LITERALLY vomit. And once she actually picked up a nasty virus in one of the houses...Ipswich is synonomous with scum over here...

And I am trying to be NICE about the place! I know how locals can stereotype a town - i saw it a lot when I was in the UK (ie: Glasgow, East End) BUT...I've been home a year and have really really tried to look for the good in Ipswich - but apart from some nice heritage buildings (which the local council does NOT utilise effectively) every time I go there I see something else to scare me away...

I am a firm believer in finding good in everything however, and there MUST be something about the place...cos there are decent ppl living there...

And I have good reason to be looking for good - my wee girl was born there last year and I CRIED because she was going to have to face the rest of her life with the knowledge that she was BORN IN IPSWICH!

The hospital was great however, so what's the real story with Ipswich?

And the other poster is right about it being a boom area - house prices have tripled or more :scared: since I went overseas in 2002...

I know a few people who commute from the smaller towns outside of Ipswich - like Walloon, Rosewood, Boonah and so on, if you didn't fancy living in Brisbane.

Good luck if you find a nice house etc I'd go for it - I think Ipswich can't get any worse so it's glory days must be ahead of it...and they are redoing the mall...there's talk that this housing/population boom will force the ferals out of Ipswich into the more westerly areas anyway...
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Having grown up just west of Ipswich I can testify that it is definitely looked down upon by the locals - don't go out after 5, don't go out alone, just don't go there...the only place my mum has ever been robbed, the mall is fall of street rats having domestics, full of teenage mums and druggies and rednecks...blech blech blech...my sister works there in real estate and some of the houses she has to inspect have made her LITERALLY vomit. And once she actually picked up a nasty virus in one of the houses...Ipswich is synonomous with scum over here...

And I am trying to be NICE about the place! I know how locals can stereotype a town - i saw it a lot when I was in the UK (ie: Glasgow, East End) BUT...I've been home a year and have really really tried to look for the good in Ipswich - but apart from some nice heritage buildings (which the local council does NOT utilise effectively) every time I go there I see something else to scare me away...

I am a firm believer in finding good in everything however, and there MUST be something about the place...cos there are decent ppl living there...

And I have good reason to be looking for good - my wee girl was born there last year and I CRIED because she was going to have to face the rest of her life with the knowledge that she was BORN IN IPSWICH!

The hospital was great however, so what's the real story with Ipswich?

And the other poster is right about it being a boom area - house prices have tripled or more :scared: since I went overseas in 2002...

I know a few people who commute from the smaller towns outside of Ipswich - like Walloon, Rosewood, Boonah and so on, if you didn't fancy living in Brisbane.

Good luck if you find a nice house etc I'd go for it - I think Ipswich can't get any worse so it's glory days must be ahead of it...and they are redoing the mall...there's talk that this housing/population boom will force the ferals out of Ipswich into the more westerly areas anyway...
I'd agree with what you've said.We live very close to the Cunningham highway and so drive in towards Brisbane for all our needs. I just won't go into the town as it's depressing . Theres a lot of new building going on but in the property boom a few years back, many houses were bought by investors, so have tenants in place, many of which are feral.The mayor is doing his best to bring investment into the area and a new shopping complex is due to open next March but I would say, it's the people that make the town what it is. As for Walloon and Rosewood, it's deadsville .
Old Sep 5th 2006, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rightmove
As you were interested in Yamanto , I imagine you're looking for a 4 bed lowset home on an established estate ? Karana Downs may be worth a look , it's an older estate but doesn't have much in the way of local shops. Bellbowrie also is quite popular , Mount Ommaney, Jindalee.I think it comes down to the feel of the place and if you want to have shops and facilities nearby.If you would like more info , I'd be happy to pm you with my views of the place.
Thanks for your advice..will look these places up. Yes we are looking for a 4 bed lowset home on an established estate with shops and facilities near by. We are looking for somewhere with a bit of life e.g. pubs, shops etc (we are in our late 20's) but don't want to live in Brisbane CBD. We would like to live on a 'nice' estate suitable for families (we are currently trying) where we can bring up children and take our dog for walks. Somewhere with a sense of community where we could make friends and socialise. Commutable distance to Amberley. The trouble is we don't both want to commute but I think it will depend on where I can get a job as a primary school teacher. We either live nr Amberley and I commute or we live where I can get a job and hubby commutes. Also the closer to Brisbane CBD presumably the more expensive the houses? Don't want much do we

Oh well keep looking I suppose...one things for sure I have been well and truly put off Ipswich and the surrounding suburbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.