British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone live in or know anything about Archerfield? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-live-know-anything-about-archerfield-509904/)

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 12:18 am

Anyone live in or know anything about Archerfield?

I've just seen a job ad for Archerfield in Brisbane - I'd never heard of this suburb though so was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it?

Cheers

Rach xxxx

rabsody Jan 29th 2008 12:22 am

Re: Anyone live in or know anything about Archifield?

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo (Post 5851450)
I've just seen a job ad for Archerfield (spelt it wrong in title - feel free to change it please mods) in Brisbane - I'd never heard of this suburb though so was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it?

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Very industrial, wouldn't be much to do in the lunchbreak i.e. no shops, truckie cafes etc. There's an airstrip there too. As a female, I wouldn't be too keen to work there myself, but different strokes for different folks!

doub Jan 29th 2008 12:25 am

Hi Rach,

(famous) for it's airport (GA not jets) pretty industrial area, surrounded by Salisbury, Coopers Plains ...... a little bit grim in parts but not too bad on the whole .... southside. Pretty good (but busy at times) road links though

sorry about all of the ()

Mark:)

doub Jan 29th 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 5851456)
Very industrial, wouldn't be much to do in the lunchbreak i.e. no shops, truckie cafes etc. There's an airstrip there too. As a female, I wouldn't be too keen to work there myself, but different strokes for different folks!

yer, not good for shopping unless you want to buy some steel or timber

>Trigger< Jan 29th 2008 12:36 am

I've just seen a job ad for Archerfield (spelt it wrong in title - feel free to change it please mods) in Brisbane - I'd never heard of this suburb though so was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it?

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Next door to INALA....run for your life..

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 12:37 am

Oh its not sounding too good so far!! :(

The job is actually for hubby at the airport so that side of things doesnt worry me :)

Vim Fuego Jan 29th 2008 12:42 am

Cheers

Rach xxxx

Went for an interview out there actually (for Toll, the big trucking company) ... my second in Oz ... as the other posters have mentioned, it's very industrial.

I'm sure there is some appeal to not being part of the 'CBD Set' but it would wane pretty quickly for me.

Didn't get the job anyway so it wasn't a big dilemma :o

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5851513)
Went for an interview out there actually (for Toll, the big trucking company) ... my second in Oz ... as the other posters have mentioned, it's very industrial.

I'm sure there is some appeal to not being part of the 'CBD Set' but it would wane pretty quickly for me.

Didn't get the job anyway so it wasn't a big dilemma :o

This is basically going to be a way of us getting out of NSW and heading to QLD - we want to be closer to the coast (an hour + at the moment) and also try and get away from the extremely cold winters here. We're also an hour outside Sydney CBD here and that doesnt bother me one bit - in fact I'd prefer it that way :)

>Trigger< Jan 29th 2008 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo (Post 5851532)
This is basically going to be a way of us getting out of NSW and heading to QLD - we want to be closer to the coast (an hour + at the moment) and also try and get away from the extremely cold winters here. We're also an hour outside Sydney CBD here and that doesnt bother me one bit - in fact I'd prefer it that way :)

How far does your hubby want commute from Archerfield?

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 12:52 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851544)
How far does your hubby want commute from Archerfield?

Well ideally he'd like to cycle to work like he does now.......but if need be no more than a 20 min drive I suppose.

>Trigger< Jan 29th 2008 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo (Post 5851549)
Well ideally he'd like to cycle to work like he does now.......but if need be no more than a 20 min drive I suppose.

Big problem..you aint gonna be able to live closer to the coast and a 20 min drive to work...not in Archerfield anyway!

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851556)
Big problem..you aint gonna be able to live closer to the coast and a 20 min drive to work...not in Archerfield anyway!

What about Brissie Airport - theres also jobs going there?

>Trigger< Jan 29th 2008 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo (Post 5851564)
What about Brissie Airport - theres also jobs going there?

Any north or south bayside suburb would fit the bill..probably northside would suit more as you wouldn't need to pay the tolls on the gateway bridge.

But you can rule out cycling as he'd need to get on the highway to reach the airport.

Most decent suburbs are probably at least an 45 mins/hour away from the airport during peak times.

Have a look at Northside..Redcliffe,Brighton,Scarborough,woody point

or Southside..Wynnum,Manly,Wellington point or Cleveland

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 29th 2008 1:12 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851593)
Any north or south bayside suburb would fit the bill..probably northside would suit more as you wouldn't need to pay the tolls on the gateway bridge.

But you can rule out cycling as he'd need to get on the highway to reach the airport.

Most decent suburbs are probably at least an 45 mins/hour away from the airport during peak times.

Thanks very much - I'll check them out :)

doub Jan 29th 2008 1:13 am

Originally Posted by >Trigger< (Post 5851593)

don't forget Birkdale Trigger! it takes about 30mins to the airport from here (about the same to Archerfield) BUT you have got to get accross the bridge which can get a little busy at peak times. And the bayside is by the sea although you won't find any beaches to speak of.