Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Bunbury/Busselton/SouthWest Oz?

Anyone live in Bunbury/Busselton/SouthWest Oz?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone live in Bunbury/Busselton/SouthWest Oz?

Does anyone have an opinion on this part of Australia?

Personally I would rather be nearer Perth, but my husband is more into 'scenery' (don't ask! I mean does scenery pay the bills?!) Our jobs aren't location dependent...........

Anyway, we're headed to Bunbury in the first instance, and just wondered if anyone had been there?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:58 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Bunbury/Busselton/SouthWest Oz?

I lived in Bridgetown for 4 years with my parents. (92-96)

I have friends that live in Bunbury.

I think two people on this forum live there too, but hardly post..

I would love to live down that way, but we have to live in Perth for work... for now.

I think it would be a good idea to buy down there. I'm quite sure Bunbury will keep growing for a while.
Btw, they've just started building a Formula Nippon racing track down there, will be good for the economy!

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, please ask (don't really know what to say...)

Btw, Bunbury itself I don't find very pretty. Ok it has some nice beaches... it's more the surroundings and the close proximity to the southwest, and not to far from Mandurah/Perth that I like.
Btw #2, Bunbury - Perth cbd is a two hour drive.
In a few years they'll make a freeway(?) from Mandurah to Bunbury, so hopefully that'll cut the time, but I don't think it'll be that much, though you never know.

Bit cooler down there too. Pretty good climate I'd say. A few degrees cooler than Perth usually.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Simone,
Yes, I've heard Bunbury isn't all that pretty, but I think I can live with that!!

And slightly cooler, that must be a good thing!!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 2:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Thanks Simone,
Yes, I've heard Bunbury isn't all that pretty, but I think I can live with that!!

And slightly cooler, that must be a good thing!!
Yep, me too.
And I think it's a good thing too!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

jhjaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
We too are headed for Bunbury, will hopefully be arriving on the 15th in fact I have got a job at Bunbury Regional Hospital and have already got a rental sorted out. Bunbury seems to have everything we will need without having to travel far and away from the bustle of city living. The schools seem great, it has a Uni campus as well as Tafe and from all accounts is the most up-and -coming place in WA at the moment due to recent expansion and development.
We are a family of 6 and are really looking forward to the adventure ahead, we would love to keep in touch and let you know how Bunbury pans out for us in the next couple of months.

Kim
Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jhjaks
Hi there!
We too are headed for Bunbury, will hopefully be arriving on the 15th in fact I have got a job at Bunbury Regional Hospital and have already got a rental sorted out. Bunbury seems to have everything we will need without having to travel far and away from the bustle of city living. The schools seem great, it has a Uni campus as well as Tafe and from all accounts is the most up-and -coming place in WA at the moment due to recent expansion and development.
We are a family of 6 and are really looking forward to the adventure ahead, we would love to keep in touch and let you know how Bunbury pans out for us in the next couple of months.

Kim
Would love to hear from you when you arrive. How did you sort out the rental ahead of time? Have you family over there? I might be having this baby in Bunbury (if my husband can decide between Bunbury and Perth!!) in fact I have an appointment to see an OB on the 17th March. Delivery at St. JOhn of God, do you know of it?
What is your husband going to do?
Where exactly are you renting??
Blimey so many question,s you must be massively excited? How are the goodbyes going? Dare I ask?!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

jhjaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Would love to hear from you when you arrive. How did you sort out the rental ahead of time? Have you family over there? I might be having this baby in Bunbury (if my husband can decide between Bunbury and Perth!!) in fact I have an appointment to see an OB on the 17th March. Delivery at St. JOhn of God, do you know of it?
What is your husband going to do?
Where exactly are you renting??
Blimey so many question,s you must be massively excited? How are the goodbyes going? Dare I ask?!!
Hello again!

It is certainly a very busy and exciting time Have just finished e-mailing my 'man' in Bunbury who has been great in getting our rental organised for us. I made the contact through http://www.realestate.com.au/directo...n/bunbury.html
a great site for all property in the area. I just registered my interest with a few agents and this guy got back to me with a property that hadnt even been advertised yet Its a 4x2 with games room & pool, fully furnished, close to schools, beach & hospital situated in the Mangles area ( south Bunbury) for $280 pw! Luckily I have a fair lot of family in that part of WA so my cousin & aunt checked the place out for me and thought it was a good deal.
St John of God is attached to the Bunbury Regional Hospital which is a very new hospital with excellent facilities. My mother visited when she was last out there and was very impressed with the place. Once I start work at the pstchiatric unit (yes Im a mental nurse!) I should be able to give you more info.
My husband is also a nurse, but he is not coming out straight away as my eldest daughter is staying behind to finish her A levels, so thats going to be the hardest thing about the whole move, leaving them behind
Feel free to fire questions, its great to talk to someone else considering somewhere other than Perth
Kim
Old Jan 9th 2005, 6:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Hi, just wanted to add something since I spent the new years weekend in Bunbury...
I said in another post I didn't really like the town centre, but looking at it again now, it was quite nice, the bit with the cafe's etc(we had a coffee at Henry's). I think it's improved a bit over the years, which is natural of course, and it's grown too.

Btw, saw a dolphin at the discovery centre at 8am, and the day before(new years day), we were at Forrest Beach(south of Bunbury), and there was a dolphin just swimming past! Unfortunetly there were also thousands of little jellyfish at the part of the beach we'd chosen, so swimming wasn't pleasant(got a burning feeling from them..!!!).

Ok, enough blabbing from me again!!(more about my holiday down south in another thread, hopefully tonight.....)
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Simone
Hi, just wanted to add something since I spent the new years weekend in Bunbury...
I said in another post I didn't really like the town centre, but looking at it again now, it was quite nice, the bit with the cafe's etc(we had a coffee at Henry's). I think it's improved a bit over the years, which is natural of course, and it's grown too.

Btw, saw a dolphin at the discovery centre at 8am, and the day before(new years day), we were at Forrest Beach(south of Bunbury), and there was a dolphin just swimming past! Unfortunetly there were also thousands of little jellyfish at the part of the beach we'd chosen, so swimming wasn't pleasant(got a burning feeling from them..!!!).

Ok, enough blabbing from me again!!(more about my holiday down south in another thread, hopefully tonight.....)
Thanks Simone,
They aren't the lethal jellyfish are they?!

Bunbury sounds nice - can't wait to go now!!
Old Jan 9th 2005, 8:31 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Thanks Simone,

No, quite sure there's no lethal ones down here.

These were tiny tiny ones. See through and nearly invisible. We all got in the water, didn't see them. Those of us that bounded in and went a bit deeper got bitten several times, I waded in and didn't.
After about 10 minutes we realised they were abosolutely everywhere!! Never seen anything like it! (have seen the bigger cloudy ones that wash up on the beach though)
Anyway, didn't really stay in the water, except about a metre in, weren't any there.
There were also a few crabs, and then we saw the dolphin!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:06 am
Just Joined

hkenee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Anyone live in Bunbury/Busselton/SouthWest Oz?

Personally I would rather be nearer Perth, but my husband is more into 'scenery' (don't ask! I mean does scenery pay the bills?!) Our jobs aren't location dependent...........

Anyway, we're headed to Bunbury in the first instance, and just wondered if anyone had been there?
Hi

we live in Leschenault near Australind and have been here for a year now, we really like Bunbury.
We have monthly Thursday coffee morning for Brits in Bunbury at Leschenault, small at the moment (4 brits) but room to grow.
If interested in coming anytime send me a pm and i will give you further details.
Hazel
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
I lived in Bridgetown for 4 years with my parents. (92-96)

I have friends that live in Bunbury.

I think two people on this forum live there too, but hardly post..

I would love to live down that way, but we have to live in Perth for work... for now.

I think it would be a good idea to buy down there. I'm quite sure Bunbury will keep growing for a while.
Btw, they've just started building a Formula Nippon racing track down there, will be good for the economy!

Anyway, if you have any specific questions, please ask (don't really know what to say...)

Btw, Bunbury itself I don't find very pretty. Ok it has some nice beaches... it's more the surroundings and the close proximity to the southwest, and not to far from Mandurah/Perth that I like.
Btw #2, Bunbury - Perth cbd is a two hour drive.
In a few years they'll make a freeway(?) from Mandurah to Bunbury, so hopefully that'll cut the time, but I don't think it'll be that much, though you never know.

Bit cooler down there too. Pretty good climate I'd say. A few degrees cooler than Perth usually.
im in Bunbury and i am on here every day, it is beautiful down here, beaches, and i love the fact that we have a town centre, where you can meet people and go down cuppacino strip, and its growing and looking prettier.
We live at Dalyellup, you go inland from here we go to Donnybrook quite a lot, and it is so geen beautiful orchards . vine yards, cider factory, itslike being in the countryside. 20 mins down the freeway the gorgeous Busselton, i could go on forever, Denise
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hkenee
Hi

we live in Leschenault near Australind and have been here for a year now, we really like Bunbury.
We have monthly Thursday coffee morning for Brits in Bunbury at Leschenault, small at the moment (4 brits) but room to grow.
If interested in coming anytime send me a pm and i will give you further details.
Hazel
What about me , i would love to come, been here 10 months atDalyellup. please let me know when your next meeting, Denise from sunny MORECAMBE
Old Sep 28th 2005, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Simone,

cOME DOWN FOR THE DAY , I WILL SHOW YOU AROUND. DENISE
Old Sep 28th 2005, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

we've recently returned from a holiday in Perth and had a day in Bunbury - the weather was bloomin' awful - hail, high winds and gallons of rain. I'd love to tell you how wonderful it was, but I can't - sorry no help to you is it.
But we did like Mandurah!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.