Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what Gosford is like?

Anyone know what Gosford is like?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:30 am
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know what Gosford is like?

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows Gosford and the surrounding areas? Is is a good area to bring up young children? Any info appreciated.

Regards

TOB
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:32 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I personally didnt like Gosnells, it felt a bit rough. Might have changed since I was there last, 2 years ago. Has a market there.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know what Gosford is like?

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows Gosford and the surrounding areas? Is is a good area to bring up young children? Any info appreciated.

Regards

TOB
The Gosford area and the lower central coast areas of NSW are gorgeous. Bit like Sydney Harbour and surrounds would have been like 100 years ago. Gosford itself is a bit ordinary but there are some really nice suburbs towards the ocean and around Brisbane Water. Lots of young families that way, so plenty of schools. Only problem with the Central Coast is work. It's a long commute to Sydney if that's where you work, but plenty of people do it. One of the largest car parks in NSW is at Gosford Station, where all the commuters park their cars before catching the train to Sydney!

Also some good shopping centres nowadays that way. Furthur north towards Wyong are the newer areas which to me are a bit sterile (lots of brick veneer). If I couldn't afford to live in Sydney, I'd live that way because you get reasonably priced housing, plenty of facilities AND you're close to some really good beaches.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:51 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

So sorry, for some reason I read it as Gosnells (Perth)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

philiprog is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother and family live there. Town is a bit on the dull side but countryside is really good - and quite close to Sydney (just over an hour on the train - and north is Newcastle).
Old Jan 8th 2004, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Regards

TOB
Hi I just had to pop into this one I am aussie been in UK for last 7.5 years but heading back in about 6 weeks YAY!!. I grew up in Gosford lived my first 20 years there. I always visit when I go back and yes all of the comments already made are right. I have a lot of friends still living there most with young families now and the surrounding beaches to the area are fab. Gosford itself is a bit dull but its a great location to base yourself from, and some of the surrounding suburbs are really nice esp if you head coastal. It certainly has grown a lot in the last 5 years and it is a real commuter belt. Housing is much more affordable than in sydney and the commute was always quite reliable if you dont mind doing it! I did it for a while and although I didnt like it it was bearable because all my mates did it too!
I'd say Gosford is all right but I may be a little biased
Don't know if I can offer any further info but let me know if you want any specific details re this area I will try and help and if not I can email my friends
Cheers
SAMMY
Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Regards

TOB
Hi I just had to pop into this one I am aussie been in UK for last 7.5 years but heading back in about 6 weeks YAY!!. I grew up in Gosford lived my first 20 years there. I always visit when I go back and yes all of the comments already made are right. I have a lot of friends still living there most with young families now and the surrounding beaches to the area are fab. Gosford itself is a bit dull but its a great location to base yourself from, and some of the surrounding suburbs are really nice esp if you head coastal. It certainly has grown a lot in the last 5 years and it is a real commuter belt. Housing is much more affordable than in sydney and the commute was always quite reliable if you dont mind doing it! I did it for a while and although I didnt like it it was bearable because all my mates did it too!
I'd say Gosford is all right but I may be a little biased
Don't know if I can offer any further info but let me know if you want any specific details re this area I will try and help and if not I can email my friends
Cheers
SAMMY
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Campbelltown-on-Sea
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:51 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
Campbelltown-on-Sea
LOL
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
Campbelltown-on-Sea
Up near Wyong it is indeed a bit Western-Suburbs-By-The-Sea but further south around Killcare/Hardy's Bay......
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what Gosford is like?-killcare.jpg  
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Regards

TOB
We spent 6months in the area. My husband was opening a new factory in Gosford. Gosford in itself is nothing really special but east of there and really gets amazing. We were renting a house on the Central Coast (Terrigal). I loved every minute of it. Saw lots and lots of young children all over the place. Amazing place to raise children. Wamberal, just around the corner is really gorgeous! Good luck in your search!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 1:14 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Regards

TOB

I work for Gosford Chamber of Commerce, been on the Coast for 3 years but returning to the UK in March.

Agreed with most comments, work situation getting better but still 50,000 people spend an average of 3/4 hours per day commuting to Sydney. Local wages a LOT less than Sydney wages. Less choices for careers.

Housing still cheaper than Sydney but boomed the last couple of years. Traffic has got worse over last 3 years (own observations - try The Entrance Road or West Gosford at peak hour).

Local council in real problems, can't decide on the towns future. Gosford is a ghost town. Not much to do of an evening.

Stunning areas, beautiful beaches and only an hour away from the Hunter Valley - fab wines. Does have a family feel to it.

Has a lot of social problems - crime and drugs being up there, though this can be said for anywhere in the world (no stats to offer). Lots of Housing Commission families moved from Sydney Western Suburbs, high % of social security reliant families.

Has the appearance of being a bit "white trash" or "redneck" in parts - various quotes from friends from Sydney. Not as much class as Sydney but laid back and some smashing locals.

Websites to check out
http://www.gosfordchamber.com.au - Gosford info
http://www.businesscc.com.au - Business/Economic
http://www.thecentralcoast.org - Info on Central Coast
http://www.hvrf.com.au - for Stats/Figures
http://www.centralcoasttourism.com.au - Tourism
http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au - Local Council