Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a good Butchers in Perht??

Wikiposts

Anyone know a good Butchers in Perht??

Old May 2nd 2005, 11:34 pm
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone know a good Butchers in Perth??

Hi, my husband declared this evening that he wants to move back to Ireland for the pig products!!! We just cant seem to find ham or bacon that we like here. He was only joking about moving back of course, he's not that dramatic, or that fond of his ham! All joking aside, if any one could put us onto a decent butcher that would be great. We bought a rolled roast joint of beef the other day & it was awful, we wouldn't normally buy a rolled joint but we didnt recognise the other cuts of meat. We have found a sausage we finally like, chevups, now they are not at all like our sausages that we are all used to, for one they are skinless, but they do taste really nice & they come in pork or beef, they are the nicest we've tasted so far. Also the other thing we need is a good fishmongers, buying a piece of salmon in the supermarket seems really pricey here, so again if anyone can let us know if there is a good place to get fish that would be great. When we lived in Subiaco I would go down to the market for fruit & veg, very well priced, & quite fresh although you have to pick your fruit carefully, but on a sunday it would get crazy & very very busy, but worth it.

Oh, I saw another thread asking about washing powder for frontloaders, Duomatic concentrate gives a good clean wash & I havent seen comfort here but I have been buying fluffy which seems fine, bought a huge 3 litre bottle in Big W for only $4.68.

Thanks in advance for any help given. Deirdre

Last edited by Dee & Steve; May 2nd 2005 at 11:44 pm.
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:03 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know a good Butchers in Perth??

Originally Posted by Dee & Steve
Hi, my husband declared this evening that he wants to move back to Ireland for the pig products!!! We just cant seem to find ham or bacon that we like here. He was only joking about moving back of course, he's not that dramatic, or that fond of his ham! All joking aside, if any one could put us onto a decent butcher that would be great. We bought a rolled roast joint of beef the other day & it was awful, we wouldn't normally buy a rolled joint but we didnt recognise the other cuts of meat. We have found a sausage we finally like, chevups, now they are not at all like our sausages that we are all used to, for one they are skinless, but they do taste really nice & they come in pork or beef, they are the nicest we've tasted so far. Also the other thing we need is a good fishmongers, buying a piece of salmon in the supermarket seems really pricey here, so again if anyone can let us know if there is a good place to get fish that would be great. When we lived in Subiaco I would go down to the market for fruit & veg, very well priced, & quite fresh although you have to pick your fruit carefully, but on a sunday it would get crazy & very very busy, but worth it.

Oh, I saw another thread asking about washing powder for frontloaders, Duomatic concentrate gives a good clean wash & I havent seen comfort here but I have been buying fluffy which seems fine, bought a huge 3 litre bottle in Big W for only $4.68.

Thanks in advance for any help given. Deirdre

Fish - go to Fremantle markets - fabby !

Meat - There is a good butchers in Vic park shopping centre but I cant remember the name. Also other good butchers are the one at the corner of Douglas Ave and Mill Point Road and the one at mend street markets (again cant remember the name of either - senility or drunkenness must be setting in ) To be honest though I've found the quality of meat at the (vic park)Coles Deli counter is as good as any, so maybe I'm not the best judge My normal style of cooking is to chop up loads of chilli, garlic and spices & then marinate everything. Makes almost every cut of meat taste good !

Oh, just remembered there is a good butchers in Cottesloe at the Boat Shed. Every cut of meat I've had from there has been good (disclaimer - see above for my cooking style) They do fabby chicken mango burgers as well !
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know a good Butchers in Perht??

I'm only new to Perth so don't shoot me, but I have found the butchers in Currambine shopping centre (near Ocean Reef) to be excellent. They were recommended to us by the Aussies we have rented the house from. Fabulous Busselton beef, great pork crackling roasts and super sausages. Plus very friendly and helpful. Always busy there.......

Mind you aren't the chicken breasts massive! What size are the chooks over here?
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:39 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Anyone know a good Butchers in Perht??

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Mind you aren't the chicken breasts massive! What size are the chooks over here?
You sure its chicken ! ? ! ? !

R.
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:06 am
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone know a good Butchers in Perht??

Originally Posted by Carruss
You sure its chicken ! ? ! ? !

R.
In fairness the chicken breasts do seem mighty big, sometimes big breast mean they have been pumped full of hormones or water. I find it amazing that when you go to buy a dozen eggs it will actually admit on the box that they are cage eggs??!! But I suppose it goes with the the typical upfront aussies attitude, this isnt a negative attitude just different.
Deirdre