Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about washing machines?

Anyone know anything about washing machines?

Old Dec 5th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future
Default Anyone know anything about washing machines?

Bought a front-loader from Gumtree (bad move) - 7 months old with a 2 year warranty and looked in good nick. Got home and found the power lead is cut!!!

I think I can source a replacment lead, but heard someone that's it's a bad idea (i.e. illegal) to fit new leads and things to washing machines without being a qualified electrician. Is that true?

Plan B - I have a phone number for the guy I bought it from, and the address of his block - could always demand the money back I suppose? Advertised as "excellent condition and in full working order".

Can anyone advise the best plan of action from here? My understand is Gumtree = no comeback.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone know anything about washing machines?

Originally Posted by moores2525
Bought a front-loader from Gumtree (bad move) - 7 months old with a 2 year warranty and looked in good nick. Got home and found the power lead is cut!!!

I think I can source a replacment lead, but heard someone that's it's a bad idea (i.e. illegal) to fit new leads and things to washing machines without being a qualified electrician. Is that true?

Plan B - I have a phone number for the guy I bought it from, and the address of his block - could always demand the money back I suppose? Advertised as "excellent condition and in full working order".

Can anyone advise the best plan of action from here? My understand is Gumtree = no comeback.

Go back to where you bought it from,
it's common practice amongst professionals to cut the lead off of any potentially dangerous appliance. At the very least, you should be getting a qualified electrician to check it out - even if you wire a new lead yourself

Water & Electricity can be a deadly combination
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone know anything about washing machines?

Bunnings sells new plugs directly to punters and I've fitted dozens of them in my time, so I'm going with 'No, it's not illegal.'

At least, not in South Australia AFAIK.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Go back to where you bought it from,
it's common practice amongst professionals to cut the lead off of any potentially dangerous appliance. At the very least, you should be getting a qualified electrician to check it out - even if you wire a new lead yourself

Water & Electricity can be a deadly combination
My take on it is that it was picked up during a Council Whitegoods free pickup ( where leads are 99% of the time cut off ) and put on Gumtree .
Often see some enterprising person going around with a trailer load of fridges and washing machines during Council collection period .
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:18 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is just the plug, that is ok, but if the lead has been cut you would have to open the machine up. Te fact that you are asking the question, would imply you need to get an expert.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mulben
My take on it is that it was picked up during a Council Whitegoods free pickup ( where leads are 99% of the time cut off ) and put on Gumtree .
Often see some enterprising person going around with a trailer load of fridges and washing machines during Council collection period .
I tend to agree with you, I know someone who goes around during council pick up and just cuts the leads off whitegoods, he sells them for the copper inside.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:37 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

My understand is Gumtree = no comeback.
Gumtree is just a classified ad site: they take no responsibility for the condition of the goods sold.

Unless you can get your money back from the seller yourself you have no other recourse. Would it be undiplomatic of me to ask why the lack of a power lead wasn't noticed when you collected it?

You say that it is still under warranty: did the seller have all the necessary receipts and paperwork? If so I suggest you get him to put a lead on it and demonstrate that it works.

Did you pay enough to make it worthwhile going to the Small Claims Tribunal?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

But it has a 2 year warranty - get them to fix it.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's one of those new solar powered machines? If it is, I don't think it needs a power lead.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smee
I tend to agree with you, I know someone who goes around during council pick up and just cuts the leads off whitegoods, he sells them for the copper inside.
He is a bastard then. Cutting the lead off means no-one will be able to use that again without wiring it up. Some of the stuff that goes out is perfectly serviceable but once the vultures arrive and hack all the wiring out its buggered. I put a microwave out last year - nothing wrong with it it was just old and I had replaced it with a newer one - I even put a sign on it saying it was in working order. When I came home that day someone had cut the cable AND levered open the side with a bar and nicked all the internal wiring - result one piece of scrap. For gods sake they are coming round now in vans with tail-lifts to take stuff; that's hardly people taking bits and bobs is it ?

Next time anything that contains cable etc. or recyclable metal I will take it up to the council recycling rather than let the thieving vultures get their hands on it whilst destroying everything and leaving a huge mess.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:21 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I put a microwave out last year - nothing wrong with it it was just old and I had replaced it with a newer one - I even put a sign on it saying it was in working order.
Better off taking it to Vinnies, the Salvos or Lifeline - mind you, I'm not sure they accept electrical goods these days because of the liability issues if anything goes wrong.

If you put it on the street for a hard rubbish pickup, don't be surprised at what happens to it.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

He is a bastard then. Cutting the lead off means no-one will be able to use that again without wiring it up. Some of the stuff that goes out is perfectly serviceable but once the vultures arrive and hack all the wiring out its buggered. I put a microwave out last year - nothing wrong with it it was just old and I had replaced it with a newer one - I even put a sign on it saying it was in working order. When I came home that day someone had cut the cable AND levered open the side with a bar and nicked all the internal wiring - result one piece of scrap. For gods sake they are coming round now in vans with tail-lifts to take stuff; that's hardly people taking bits and bobs is it ?

Next time anything that contains cable etc. or recyclable metal I will take it up to the council recycling rather than let the thieving vultures get their hands on it whilst destroying everything and leaving a huge mess.
Anything on the verge is collected and taken to the tip anyways so it would have been scrapped, if not taken sooner.
There is always the freecycle network to get rid of unwanted, but still usable goods, it not only gives it a new home but is keeps it out of landfill.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future

Update - I contacted the seller and told them about the problem. First they denied all knowledge, then told me they'd give me a full refund or pay for repairs. Then they failed to show up to have a look at the lead (as arranged) and have gone silent.

I contacted Electrolux and they quoted $155 to repair, out of warranty. I'm going to give the seller 3 options - give a full refund and collect, pay for repair or I'll raise a police report (Gumtree advised me to do this) and raise a CTTT.

Basically the washer was advertised "as new in full working condition", I didn't see the lead as they showed me the machine in an outdoor laundry without a power socket and in the dark. I checked it and everything looked brand new - didn't check the lead though (my bad). However the seller admitted in writing today that the washer had sat in the outdoor shared laundry for 6 weeks and they hadn't checked it before advertising.

Lots of fun, I'm not stressing about it but some good lessons learned...
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Oh and the lead isn't completely severed - 3/4 of the way through, although it does look like it has been cut. The machine looks spotless, and has an invoice dated March 2011 and a 2 year warranty.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I put our old UK Toshiba 32" CRT TV out for kerbside collection earlier this year. It was in perfect working order and I put a sign on it stating this, so I was hoping that someone would take it (I could not sell it or give it away). Some f**ker came along, pushed it over and smashed the back open to take the power lead, could not even be arsed to just cut it off.

Tosser.

Last edited by Amazulu; Dec 6th 2011 at 8:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.