Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about Townsville?

Wikiposts

Anyone know anything about Townsville?

Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:49 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone know anything about Townsville?

yeah, i keep her under my bed

no no, you fool, i have a t-shirt that says 'tintin in townsville' on it (follow the link for what i'm on about - in fact i'll take a photo of it and post later)

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Brisnick - you have a powerpuff girl
Old Jul 16th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice

Been in Townsville for 2 years now. Much prefer it to the sunshine coast. It's a lot less crowded. Its not a tourest center. If you want that go to Cairns.

This time fo year is great weather. Mid to high 20's during the day low teens at night. Though it did get cold last week with the night time temp down to 9c.

Summer can be hot and humid. We open all the windows in October and they are not closed again till may. But like the locals you bitch about the heat and humidity, then get in your air con'd car and drive to the air con'd shops and sleep in your air con'd bedrooms.

All in all, i like the life style up here and the weather, and if it gest to cold in winter I can away move to Darwin for the colder months.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by derf
Been in Townsville for 2 years now. Much prefer it to the sunshine coast. It's a lot less crowded. Its not a tourest center. If you want that go to Cairns.

This time fo year is great weather. Mid to high 20's during the day low teens at night. Though it did get cold last week with the night time temp down to 9c.

Summer can be hot and humid. We open all the windows in October and they are not closed again till may. But like the locals you bitch about the heat and humidity, then get in your air con'd car and drive to the air con'd shops and sleep in your air con'd bedrooms.

All in all, i like the life style up here and the weather, and if it gest to cold in winter I can away move to Darwin for the colder months.
Cheers
I have heard so many stories about the heat and humidity I was beginning to wonder weather it might be a bit much. It sounds great!! Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of

Hi Rabc,

This is the first time I've been on expats since arriving here in Townsville just over a month ago. But we are having a great time - it's much bigger than we thought it would be and there's plenty going on. People are really friendly and we've been out and about a fair bit. There's a range of accomodation available - we ended up renting an old renovated queenslander house with full air conditioning - been told we'll need it in summer! Our estate agent invited us out bushwalking, and there are some great beaches, places for walking or picnics within a short drive and you can go up into the hills where it's a bit cooler in summer. Been swimming at Alligator creek just 20 mins out of town. Not yet been to magnetic island but heard great things about it.

There's lots of shops. The Strand has nice beaches, loads of stuff for kids. Sport is big here - spectator or participation. And there's even what was described to me as a 'subculture of culture'. For example, last week had visits from 'the boys from Buena vista social club' concert of salsa music and dance, and the soweto gospel choir to name but two. This week went to the jazz festival.

As for a good curry, not had a good one yet, we've been told the new curry place, Masala is good, but yet to check it out ourselves - as regulars on the Manchester curry mile it will have to be good to impress us - we'll keep you posted!

Cheers,

Owleywoodcat (no longer of owley wood)