Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Wikiposts

Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:23 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Originally Posted by suzy
You'd have to have a heart of stone to object to kids and their little backpacks and wheelies. They always look so proud and pleased when they get on any of my flights.
My 3 year old would be inconsolable if he couldn't take his Buzz lightyear wheely thingy !!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

We just flew over with Malaysian airlines. On their website it said that we were allowed 5 kg each hand luggage (but our travel agent said 7 kg will be fine) and in addition you are allowed a lap top, umbrella, small camera and jacket. So the above were not counted into your hand luggage allowance. Hope this helps. If you go to the website of the airline you are flying with just look it up to make sure.

Marina x
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:34 am
Just Joined

cheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant futurecheakyboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by toon williams
Couple of people have said to me that there are new hand luggage rules coming in at the begining of August, just wondered if anyone knew anything about them
The same new rules being introduced at Heathrow Airport are being applied at Gatwick Airport also. It is about time the hand luggage rules were changed, I work at Gatwick and I also travel out to Oz every year, it has become ridiculous what people take on board, it is inconsiderate to other passengers, as there is not always enough room in the overhead lockers to accommodate everyone. It will reduce queues at Security, which is something the passengers are always moaning about.

Sorry I sound like a whinging Pom...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Good on BA I reckon. I hate it when people bring hand luggage that is about the same size as my checked baggage! Hit a bit of bad turbulence or a wind sheer and that wheely bag is on someones head! You can guarantee that the idiot that carried it on wont get hurt though.

I hope the airlines aren't gonna start being funny with checked baggage as I have 3 surfboards to take with me.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:03 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzy
I don't know who you are flying with but you'll be fine with that even with BA. Put the backpacks on the kids and your handbag will be allowed anyway.

You'd have to have a heart of stone to object to kids and their little backpacks and wheelies. They always look so proud and pleased when they get on any of my flights.

My objection is when passengers bring on 6 or 7 pieces and then whinge when there is no room for their stuff. Even worse is when you get a bloke usually 6ft plus asking female crew to lift their overweight bags for them.
I always offer to put it in the hold if it's too heavy for them and it's amazing how fast it gets put in the locker
Oh right cool!! Hopefully Singapore Airlines will let us take it all on then!! If not Will be filling our pockets with the stuff!!!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:04 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
My 3 year old would be inconsolable if he couldn't take his Buzz lightyear wheely thingy !!
How funny my 3 year old loves his Nemo wheely thing and matching backpack!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 5:25 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Cool Re: Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Unfortunately some airlines out of the Middle East are not so particular.

People have to drag their cases sideways down the aisles as they are to wide. I have also seen the passenger and two crew members having to lift so called hand luggage into the overhead lockers. This as you say is such a dangerous practice as if there was a situation and it fell out of the locker it could seriously injure another passenger.

Personally I only travel with one handbag can't stand all the clutter. Passport, book and rolled up blouse to change into after taking jacket off.

I really feel that people abuse the allowances and personally for my safety when travelling would like to see much stricter guideline which are rigorously enforced.

Maggie
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Thanks for the answers!!

We were planning on taking 7 pieces between 4 of us, (2 adults and 2 kids) 4 small cases (2 adults ones and 2 of the rly small kids ones, from the Disney Store!!) and 2 small backpacks (kids size) and a Handbag, and have also bought 2 Tigger Cosy Wrap things like small sleeping bags/snuggle sacks for the kids to snuggle into so looks like I will be sitting on the hand luggage cases to get it all in as I guess from what has been said we will only now be allowed the 4 small cases!!
when we came (2 adults , 2 kids) with singapore we decided not to use the kids size bags & found that we could get 2 kids stuff into 1 adult bag, so you may then get the snuggle sacs into another abult bag
, that should be 4 hand luggage + handbag so i think you'd be ok there
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Was I bleating
Alot of airlines are not that strict, the one I just left was very strict so we made sure the bags didn't exceed what they were allowed. If you travelled out of Heathrow it wasn't a Singapore Airlines employee who checked you in, but a handling company called Aviance who do their checkin in for them. At the end of the day they dont really care what you take onboard and having met alot of them Im amazed they can count past 2 anyway....
i'll second that , we had 5 bags & 2 huge moving boxes (car seats) in hold, + 4 hand luggage bags. Only the 5 hold bags wieghed - didn't care what was in or how heavy boxes or hand luggage was(after i spent ages weighing them on bathroom scales!) Boxes went staright in over size cage. We did check in early which may have helped.