Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

courier or post??

courier or post??

Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:47 pm
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Question courier or post??

Could anyone give us advice on how to get the medicals over to Aus?
The Dr says they can courier it for £50 or send it special delivery for £10 - I think I read somewhere that if you send it Courier it gets opened and then the DIMIA won't accept it.
A big Thankyou to anyone with advice
ta
Lotte
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: courier or post??

Originally Posted by charlotte
The Dr says they can courier it for £50 or send it special delivery for £10 - I think I read somewhere that if you send it Courier it gets opened and then the DIMIA won't accept it.
ta
Lotte

Some, but not all couriers check contents. Documnets are not usually checked. Royal mail have a habit of losing things with amazing regularity so I would go with a courier. Check Interparcel's website for the best rates.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

worplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to all

ta
Lotte
Hi,
Our doctor sent the documents by courier and it cost about the same price as you have been quoted. We had no problems at all and it got there quicker.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:48 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Royal Mail get such a bad press - hubby and I are ebay sellers in a big way and have sent lots of stuff (some quite valuable) all over the world and find that very little gets lost. Also, Aus post (when it's passed to them) is one of the most reliable (Italy is terrible). The package can also be tracked if sent international signed for - PM me if you want details.

Don't waste your money - use Royal Mail.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Rabc
Some, but not all couriers check contents. Documnets are not usually checked. Royal mail have a habit of losing things with amazing regularity so I would go with a courier. Check Interparcel's website for the best rates.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by charles.edington
Royal Mail get such a bad press - hubby and I are ebay sellers in a big way and have sent lots of stuff (some quite valuable) all over the world and find that very little gets lost. Also, Aus post (when it's passed to them) is one of the most reliable (Italy is terrible). The package can also be tracked if sent international signed for - PM me if you want details.

Don't waste your money - use Royal Mail.

Lou
xx

I was also heavily involved in mail order trading and Royal Mail were terrible. They broke things, lost things and then didnt respond appropriately to claims. International Signed for is next to useless as it only tracks to the nearest airport and then there is no tracability when it leaves the country It is not a trackable service like a courier. I was advised by Royal mail in London that if I wanted to send important documents send them by courier. Unfortuanely this was only after they had "lost" our PCC documents for the 2nd time. Theft is as bigger problem as incompetence they they told me.

Do yourself a favour and send it by courier. Our visa was dealyed by 3 months because we used Royal Mail and that could have cost me my job here. Loads of hassle you dont need and that can be avoided

Up to you but whatever, good luck

Rob
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:26 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sick to death of saying this but I will say it yet again. Royal Mail signed for CAN be tracked by filling out the auspost online contact form after a few days with all the details. We know because we did it. I've always had all claims honoured by royal mail and I also know of people who have had nightmares with couriers which cost soooo much more than royal mail. I stand by my reccomendation and say that th combination of Royal Mail and Auspost is a good one.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Rabc
I was also heavily involved in mail order trading and Royal Mail were terrible. They broke things, lost things and then didnt respond appropriately to claims. International Signed for is next to useless as it only tracks to the nearest airport and then there is no tracability when it leaves the country It is not a trackable service like a courier. I was advised by Royal mail in London that if I wanted to send important documents send them by courier. Unfortuanely this was only after they had "lost" our PCC documents for the 2nd time. Theft is as bigger problem as incompetence they they told me.

Do yourself a favour and send it by courier. Our visa was dealyed by 3 months because we used Royal Mail and that could have cost me my job here. Loads of hassle you dont need and that can be avoided

Up to you but whatever, good luck

Rob
Old Jul 1st 2006, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charles.edington
I'm sick to death of saying this but I will say it yet again. Royal Mail signed for CAN be tracked by filling out the auspost online contact form after a few days with all the details. We know because we did it. I've always had all claims honoured by royal mail and I also know of people who have had nightmares with couriers which cost soooo much more than royal mail. I stand by my reccomendation and say that th combination of Royal Mail and Auspost is a good one.

Lou
xx

Well lucky you.

If you want to get there and not into some temporary employees pocket then send it by courier.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

ta
Lotte
Whilst I'm sure it would get there with Royal Mail we opted for a courier once the Doctors had advised us that they didn't keep any copies of medicals done. After spending so much money (family of 4) to have them done I wanted the extra security of knowing they would arrive in one piece.
It cost us £60 but it was worth it. The medicals arrrived within a few days and we could track them all the way. The GP used UPS....I know somebody recently had a terrible time with a courier but we had no trouble at all. To top it all we had confirmation of our visa's three days after the medicals were received! Good luck!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:08 am
Just Joined

ali1964 is a jewel in the roughali1964 is a jewel in the roughali1964 is a jewel in the roughali1964 is a jewel in the rough

Our Doctor sent the forms himself, we had to pay £15 (cash for this), which didn't seem too bad when I see others are being charged £50. There were 4 medical forms and 3 radiography reports.

Ali
Old Jul 1st 2006, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I have to back Lou up guys!

On her recommendation, and others, we used Royal Mail International Signed for and tracked in UK and emailed Aus Post when thought it should be there and they emailed back with who'd signed for and when - it took 7 days door to door which I thought was good considering the financial difference.

Everyone can have a bad experience, it doesn't mean you should never use said service ever again! When a company has the volume of traffic that Royal Mail do, sadly some things may get lost or stolen.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:47 am
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Smile Re: courier or post??

A big Thankyou everyone - at least now I can make an informed decision - and fingers crossed GET THE VISA SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lotte