Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:08 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Couple of people have said to me that there are new hand luggage rules coming in at the begining of August, just wondered if anyone knew anything about them
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:06 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know anything about the new Hand luggage Rules??

Originally Posted by toon williams
Couple of people have said to me that there are new hand luggage rules coming in at the begining of August, just wondered if anyone knew anything about them
Don't know sorry, but would be interested to find out
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Think you mean this -

Changes have been made to hand luggage restrictions at London Heathrow, the UK's busiest airport.

From this summer, passengers will only be able to take onboard bags with dimensions measuring 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) or less. Any bags that do not fit within these limits will have to be checked in as hold luggage.

Passengers will be made aware of the new restrictions, which will be phased in from July 5, by signs that will be put up in terminal buildings.

The changes have been brought in as part of baggage standards set out by the International Air Transport Association and it is hoped they will speed up security checks at terminals.

"Passengers are now packing larger, thicker hand baggage filled with more electronic devices than ever before," said BAA spokeswoman Liz Neighbour.

"This trend demands extra security attention leading to longer queues. It's time for the journey of the over-stuffed 'wheelie bag' to end at check-in."

The announcement comes soon after leading UK airline British Airways made changes to its own baggage allowances: removing weight restrictions for hand luggage but cutting the maximum weight for free checked-in baggage on some services.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

We flew out on Monday with Singapore airlines and behind the check-in desk were signs stating '1 item of hand luggage only, 7kgs maximum'. There was also a measuring rack.

My wife and I were carrying 3 items each, I had a rucksack which weighed 12 kgs, my camera bag and a laptop. The lady at the desk was really nice, smiled about it and said fine.

Also with regards to case weight, we were over weight by about 4kgs total and were told 'we know it's tough when emigrating' and not another word or charge. I'm not saying do it and you'll be fine. We might have been lucky and had a friendly lady in a pleasant mood, but Singapore airlines staff were great. On board the plane, they even helped us find space for our 6 items of hand luggage.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

emu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of lightemu72 is a glorious beacon of light

Easy solution... just fly business class. If you can physically carry it, you can take it on!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:28 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

The reason they have the 7kg rule is that if something fell out of the overhead locker and fell onto your head, you would sustain a less serious injury with 7kg as opposed to 12kg. Airlines were getting sued by pax who had been injured. Also if everyone on the flight took 2-3 pces of handluggage there would not be enough space onboard to stow them away. That in turn means having someone like *me* taking the baggage down to the hold and tagging it all up which in turn means a delay to the aircraft and a fine for the airline for missing their slot time....they dont say no just to be nasty and deprive you of your Jackie Collins book and laptop, there is reasoning behind it !!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:39 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
The reason they have the 7kg rule is that if something fell out of the overhead locker and fell onto your head, you would sustain a less serious injury with 7kg as opposed to 12kg. Airlines were getting sued by pax who had been injured. Also if everyone on the flight took 2-3 pces of handluggage there would not be enough space onboard to stow them away. That in turn means having someone like *me* taking the baggage down to the hold and tagging it all up which in turn means a delay to the aircraft and a fine for the airline for missing their slot time....they dont say no just to be nasty and deprive you of your Jackie Collins book and laptop, there is reasoning behind it !!
Good for you for your answer, nice to know that things are there for a reason.

Bet you there are still some that ignore it as it doesn't apply to them...like the ones who think that the 'no parking' zone is there exclusivly for them so they have a spot to park! Really ignorant, selfish, stupid people.

LJJ
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emu72
Easy solution... just fly business class. If you can physically carry it, you can take it on!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:27 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
PM sent

LJJ
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Also if everyone on the flight took 2-3 pces of handluggage there would not be enough space onboard to stow them away. That in turn means having someone like *me* taking the baggage down to the hold and tagging it all up which in turn means a delay to the aircraft and a fine for the airline for missing their slot time....they dont say no just to be nasty and deprive you of your Jackie Collins book and laptop, there is reasoning behind it !!
Hmmm, funny because as I said, I politely asked a person like *you*, who smiled and said it was fine. So if a person like *you*, does say it's fine, they shouldn't bleat about it on forums afterwards.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:06 am
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

And if only everyone were like you. I'm cabin crew and the abuse me and my colleagues get because there is no room for MR X's 7 pieces of handbaggage each weighing around 12-15kgs has to be heard to be believed.

Needless to say most handbaggage is tagged by crew and put in the hold - no arguments - if it isn't stowed in accordance to regulations it doesn't stay on board.

To answer the OP's question, I can only speak for BA who are introducing new baggage regs on 5th July (although there is a rumour it has been put back to 1st August). Generally, you can take on ONE piece of handbaggage weighing as much as you like so long as it fits into a baggage gauge which will be at checkin. the passengers have to lift and stow it safely - crew cannot help under any circumstances as we are not insured.

In addition to this you can take EITHER a laptop case OR briefcase which must be stowed under the seat in front of you.

Hold baggage: a maximum of 23kgs per bag/case will be allowed. There are variances to whether you can have one or two pieces of baggage depending on whether have a connecting flight/travel in two classes etc etc. too many to write on this post.

BA checkin will no longer have any discretion over a couple of kilos.

TBH there is alot of consternation over this whole thing by both cabin crew and passengers.

The new rules are on www.ba.com and I have also heard that no other airline is implementing any changes at the moment. but that could change as this has been brought about by a directive from our master in Brussels.

I read something about this on the BAA website a while back so there might be some updated info on there
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:53 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Hmmm, funny because as I said, I politely asked a person like *you*, who smiled and said it was fine. So if a person like *you*, does say it's fine, they shouldn't bleat about it on forums afterwards.
Was I bleating
Alot of airlines are not that strict, the one I just left was very strict so we made sure the bags didn't exceed what they were allowed. If you travelled out of Heathrow it wasn't a Singapore Airlines employee who checked you in, but a handling company called Aviance who do their checkin in for them. At the end of the day they dont really care what you take onboard and having met alot of them Im amazed they can count past 2 anyway....
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I can't believe the size of some of the bags that people try to take as hand luggage onto the plane.

Also some people seem to have loads of bags full of stuff that they have bought in duty free. It amazes me that that they buy so much and then moan about how there isn't room for it on the plane.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:59 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers!!

We were planning on taking 7 pieces between 4 of us, (2 adults and 2 kids) 4 small cases (2 adults ones and 2 of the rly small kids ones, from the Disney Store!!) and 2 small backpacks (kids size) and a Handbag, and have also bought 2 Tigger Cosy Wrap things like small sleeping bags/snuggle sacks for the kids to snuggle into so looks like I will be sitting on the hand luggage cases to get it all in as I guess from what has been said we will only now be allowed the 4 small cases!!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toon williams
Thanks for the answers!!

We were planning on taking 7 pieces between 4 of us, (2 adults and 2 kids) 4 small cases (2 adults ones and 2 of the rly small kids ones, from the Disney Store!!) and 2 small backpacks (kids size) and a Handbag, and have also bought 2 Tigger Cosy Wrap things like small sleeping bags/snuggle sacks for the kids to snuggle into so looks like I will be sitting on the hand luggage cases to get it all in as I guess from what has been said we will only now be allowed the 4 small cases!!

I don't know who you are flying with but you'll be fine with that even with BA. Put the backpacks on the kids and your handbag will be allowed anyway.

You'd have to have a heart of stone to object to kids and their little backpacks and wheelies. They always look so proud and pleased when they get on any of my flights.

My objection is when passengers bring on 6 or 7 pieces and then whinge when there is no room for their stuff. Even worse is when you get a bloke usually 6ft plus asking female crew to lift their overweight bags for them.
I always offer to put it in the hold if it's too heavy for them and it's amazing how fast it gets put in the locker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.