Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone here into Geocaching?

Anyone here into Geocaching?

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone here into Geocaching?

http://www.geocaching.com/

It looks like a great passtime if you're into the great outdoors. There's loads of caches in Perth.

Anyone got any good GPS recommendations?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anyone here into Geocaching?

Lucky you didnt put this past time into your visa application mate. :-)

p.s. They did a TV slot on this in the news the other week, and also an article in the paper. Apparently people are getting really inventive, ie, only letting it be seen/heard at certain times of the day etc.

Sounds interesting, but my days of finding those 'letterboxes' on dartmoor are far beyond me now due to my fishing rod being glued to my hand!

Originally Posted by renth

It looks like a great passtime if you're into the great outdoors. There's loads of caches in Perth.

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

petafray will become famous soon enough

Been geocaching for about 5 years both in the Uk and here. We hid one of the first caches in Leicestershire in 2000.

Its great fun and it really helps you to go places you otherwise wouldnt, even if people think you are weird when you pull out a plastic lunchbox from the undergrowth!! We did this a lot in our first year in Australian giving us an excuse to go to bits of Queensland just to explore. great for the kids too - tell them you are going on a treasure hunt
I use a Garmin Vista. You can even put streem map software on it and use it like a Navman. They are a bit pricey over here but I bought mine on Ebay.

No I am not really a nerd but we love our gagets and doign this has taken us away from the normal spots to places far and wide

Peta aka mrsdawnrazor on geocache.com
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petafray
Been geocaching for about 5 years both in the Uk and here. We hid one of the first caches in Leicestershire in 2000.

Its great fun and it really helps you to go places you otherwise wouldnt, even if people think you are weird when you pull out a plastic lunchbox from the undergrowth!! We did this a lot in our first year in Australian giving us an excuse to go to bits of Queensland just to explore. great for the kids too - tell them you are going on a treasure hunt
I use a Garmin Vista. You can even put streem map software on it and use it like a Navman. They are a bit pricey over here but I bought mine on Ebay.

No I am not really a nerd but we love our gagets and doign this has taken us away from the normal spots to places far and wide

Peta aka mrsdawnrazor on geocache.com

I'm going to start with a cheapo GPS like a Magellan Explorer 100 or Garmin Etrex. I wish I'd picked one up last time I was in Singapore.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

petafray will become famous soon enough

I'm going to start with a cheapo GPS like a Magellan Explorer 100 or Garmin Etrex. I wish I'd picked one up last time I was in Singapore.

That will do fine, the only advantage with the more expensive ones and having the mapping software is you dont have the problem for the urban ones of being say within 100m but on completely the wrong street and having to go miles to get a short distance as the crow flies.

We did one in Dover docks and we kept getting 50m away and coulnd work out why we couldnt get closer, til we realised we had come the wrong way and it was 50m below us and we ended up walking 3 miles as the direct route was over the edge of the cliff!