Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone heading to the Central Coast????

Anyone heading to the Central Coast????

Old Dec 7th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice
Default Anyone heading to the Central Coast????

Hello All!

Hubby & I are heading to Gosford, NSW, about 160 km north of Sydney. Hoping to get visa soon (pleeeeaaaase God!) and wondering if we will be in good company. Have seen many posts from Perth, QLD, and SA bound folks.

Is there anyone out there going our way? We are hoping to be there between Feb and April 2006, just waiting final decision on visa. We will be going on a emplyer sponsored under labour agreement (PR) visa as I have a job at Gosford Hospital.

Have never been to Gosford though we've been to Oz twice although we did drive past once it heading to Newcastle!! Looks nice though and hubby's happy as he can surf and I'm looking forward to being near the beach and not too far from so lovely looking national parks.

Looking forward to reading your posts if you're going our way!

Jo x
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:22 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone heading to the Central Coast????

Depends what you are looking for, I personally did not like the 3 years I lived there (Point Clare) but many expats post on here just love it - personal choice. I enjoyed my Sydney life better. Felt like the whole place dropped off to sleep at 7 pm

Gosford Hospital is full of expat Doctors by the way All seem to be from Nottingham

Best of luck, life is what you make it.

MMum
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:26 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends what youre after. Im 15 minutes from newcastle in the hunter, absolutely lovely beaches with crystal clear water etc.
Im past the nightlife scene so I wouldnt know about that, I suppose sydney would be better but I prefer to live in a more slower paced area which all of the hunter valley / central coast is.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

I don't know anyone from Nottingham.......is that good or bad?

I guess I'm gonna find out!

I have read some time ago that the place shut's down at night - not too worried, as I've said elswhere, not into clubbing, but as long as there's a restaurant or two and a few bars will be OK. And as long as the locals are friendly and up for a few bbq's and drinks of a warm eve then I think we'll survive!

Are you still in Sydney? And how do you know about all the doc's at Gosford? Are you one of them? Or are you a mere mortal like the rest of us?

Thanks for the info!

Jo x
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
It all depends what youre after. Im 15 minutes from newcastle in the hunter, absolutely lovely beaches with crystal clear water etc.
Im past the nightlife scene so I wouldnt know about that, I suppose sydney would be better but I prefer to live in a more slower paced area which all of the hunter valley / central coast is.
Sounds lovely - just what we're aiming for. A little slower, a little more chilled, near the beach and a warm, sunny climate.

We free camped at Newcastle once, in a carpark, in front of some houses next to the beach. We arrived at night, so couldn't see much. Woke up in the morning to bright sunshine, this lovely beach and about 8 great big ships dotted along the horizon. I remember comparing it to the other Newcastle. Went there once as well, this time in the day, but didn't see anything as it was sooo foggy you could only just make out the houses at the side of the road!

Looking forward to heading up to the Hunter in the new year for a bit of wine tasting too....

Jo x
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo

from a fellow Jo also from Bristol what part are you from. Anyway I live in Umina Beach which is about 12k from Gosford. I like it here its quiet and just nice. Gosford is only 80ks from Sydney not 160 so you are much closer than you think.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joho
Hi Jo

from a fellow Jo also from Bristol what part are you from. Anyway I live in Umina Beach which is about 12k from Gosford. I like it here its quiet and just nice. Gosford is only 80ks from Sydney not 160 so you are much closer than you think.

Jo
Hi Jo!

What a coincidence! Both my hubby & I were brought up in Stockwood and now live in Brislington, both in South Bristol. Where did you live? And how long have you been in Umina? How's it compare to Bristol??

By the way, it's freezing here and raining, been raining all evening - actually it's been raining all week!

Didn't realise we were that close. Hubby will be pleased as this means if he needs to get work in Sydney it won't be such a long commute.

Thanks for the reply - not too many central coasters out there tonight!

Love Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:38 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SenoraJo
Hello All!

Hubby & I are heading to Gosford, NSW, about 160 km north of Sydney. Hoping to get visa soon (pleeeeaaaase God!) and wondering if we will be in good company. Have seen many posts from Perth, QLD, and SA bound folks.

Is there anyone out there going our way? We are hoping to be there between Feb and April 2006, just waiting final decision on visa. We will be going on a emplyer sponsored under labour agreement (PR) visa as I have a job at Gosford Hospital.

Have never been to Gosford though we've been to Oz twice although we did drive past once it heading to Newcastle!! Looks nice though and hubby's happy as he can surf and I'm looking forward to being near the beach and not too far from so lovely looking national parks.

Looking forward to reading your posts if you're going our way!

Jo x
Gosford itself has potential to be something but it's so beautiful on the Central Coast I think they don't bother with the place. You won't be doing much shopping at Gosford you'll go to Westfield at Tuggerah or Erina Fair. The latter is excellent.
Hub had his dislocated toe fixed at Gosford. We waited 6 hours and I had to help move it!!! Had a sign up saying 'busiest A&E in NSW' and they have a lovely methodone clinic there.
However, I digress, great location handy to Sydney, good rail and bus network and lovely weather. You will love living in that area though Gosford itself is a bit run down in parts.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Gosford itself has potential to be something but it's so beautiful on the Central Coast I think they don't bother with the place. You won't be doing much shopping at Gosford you'll go to Westfield at Tuggerah or Erina Fair. The latter is excellent.
Hub had his dislocated toe fixed at Gosford. We waited 6 hours and I had to help move it!!! Had a sign up saying 'busiest A&E in NSW' and they have a lovely methodone clinic there.
However, I digress, great location handy to Sydney, good rail and bus network and lovely weather. You will love living in that area though Gosford itself is a bit run down in parts.
Thank God they have a methodone clinic - was worried I'd have to go all the way to Sydney.................only joking!!

Will try to avoid the rundown parts, but otherwise sounds lovely.

Wherabouts are you? Thanks for the shoppping tips, hubby will be pleased -not! Glad about the buses, have to learn to drive when I get there, so until then will be on the bus.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo

Well its an even smaller world as I used to live in Pensford then Keynsham a mere 2-3 miles from you. Just before moving however I lived in Rugby in the midlands for last 6 years.

Erina and Tuggerah are good for shopping, so is Hornsby but just a little further to go. Gosford is closer to Sydney by road, but Woy Woy near us is closer by train. Also we are only 5 mins from Beach. Gosford is nice and has everything you need. There are night clubs in Gosford, and Erian has ice rink and cinema complex and about 10k from Gosford.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jo

Well its an even smaller world as I used to live in Pensford then Keynsham a mere 2-3 miles from you. Just before moving however I lived in Rugby in the midlands for last 6 years.

Erina and Tuggerah are good for shopping, so is Hornsby but just a little further to go. Gosford is closer to Sydney by road, but Woy Woy near us is closer by train. Also we are only 5 mins from Beach. Gosford is nice and has everything you need. There are night clubs in Gosford, and Erian has ice rink and cinema complex and about 10k from Gosford.

Jo
I only know a couple of places in Pensford, The Travellers Rest and The Rising Sun, been to both a few times.

Know Keynsham well, though I think it's a bit rougher than it used to be, as is Stockwood. Lots of 'yoof' problems I think.

Spent many a Saturday afternoon as a child clinging to the side of Keynsham swimming pool :scared: until I finally learned to swim, aged 11.

Didn't expect an ice-rink nearby that's for sure. The central coast really does have it all!

5 mins from the beach sounds good to me. That's where we hope to be......oooh I can't wait. Am very excited now, though starting to get a wee bit emotional at times, but it's definitely what we want to do and will be worth it in the end.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have you got kids and if so how old. Drop me a line when you get here and maybe when can meet for coffee.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Have you got kids and if so how old. Drop me a line when you get here and maybe when can meet for coffee.

Jo
Have no kids, but we are planning on trying soon after we arrive. Done plenty of babysitting for friends though! We have a cat, she's 16 and coming with us. Actually she's going before us, heading out on the 16th Jan, then 30 days quarentine - bless! We have a cattery lined up too, just in case DIMIA are slow.

We are 33 and 29 - hubby is a toy boy!

Would love to meet for coffee - didn't like to presume to ask! Will let ya know when we're coming.

Have you got kids? And how old are they? If you have, how'd they like the move?

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah got 3. Rayn 16, Ashley 14 and Rebecca 11. Love it here. I am 35 and hubby is 40. We both work in the city at the mo, I am hoping to get a job in Gosford or surrounds.

Jo
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah got 3. Rayn 16, Ashley 14 and Rebecca 11. Love it here. I am 35 and hubby is 40. We both work in the city at the mo, I am hoping to get a job in Gosford or surrounds.

Jo
What visa did you get? I'm a nurse and am lucky that gosford hospital said they'd wait and NSW health agreed to sponser me for a PR (was originally coming out on a temporary working visa in Sept).

Good luck with the job hunt! Hubby a bit concerned about work. He was a manager for a plastics company b4 jacking it in to get the house up together. He's now doing some driving since we decided to hang on and go for the PR. Reckons it's a cushy number as his job b4 was quite stressful. Spends all day listening to radio 2 now!

Must go to bed soon - this site is highly addictive - but great to talk. Still I note no one's posted yet to say they're on their way. They're either already there or we're a select few!

Went to a meet here a few weeks ago, and everyone, except one (perth) was going to Brisbane!

Jo x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.