Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Check out new thread on coffee situation
Rachel x
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Oh... and another thing..... I forgot to mention one estate agent said to me parts of Buderim can be a bit cliquey. I have no evidence to support this but just thought I would throw it into the pot.
Rich
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Talking Re: Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Originally Posted by RAG62
Hi all
Just spotted this thread having got back from a reccy trip to Oz to see if we would like the place. I visited Mooloolabah as well as most other "suburbs" around Brissie. Suffering from jet lag at the mo, hence writing at 6am on a Sat morning

Buderim and Moo were near, if not top, of the places I would want to live. My wife is a nurse and commuting to Caloundra or Nambour would not seem to be a problem. However I work in financial services and can envisage that I would have to get a job in Brissie itself. Alternatively my wife may end up getting a nursing job in Brissie also.

If so, then I think Buderim would be too far away for us. It is over 100km to the city and as mentioned previously commuting times is 1.15hrs to 1.30hrs each way. Is this the lifestyle change that you envisaged

The road is mainly dual carriageway (m/way) and the max speeds generally vary between 100km/h and 110km/h. The journey is "easy" as it is all motorway but it is very remote and the thought of my wife travelling alone in the pitch dark having done a late shift puts me off. I didn't see many emergency phones by the roadside. Don't forget it goes dark early and quickly, over there, ie by 6.45pm.

Mountain Creek H School does have a good reputation. It currently has 2100 pupils so it is big. In QLD school class sizes are a max of 30 pupils and as already mentioned MCHS manage the size of the school very well by working a shift system and by having "houses" within the school. When I had a look around it was quite orderly and clean and the kids seemed to be behaving okay. As with most of the state schools I looked at, the fabric of the building could do with an overhaul.

Hope this helps and if anyone has any Qs let me know.
Rich
Hi Rich.

Glad to hear you had a fab time, we also like the sound of Buderim but we think it will be to far, Peter will probably be working in the city, did you take at look around Wellington Point, Mango Hill by any chance.

Paula&Peter
We met at the salt cellar pub.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi Rich.

Glad to hear you had a fab time, we also like the sound of Buderim but we think it will be to far, Peter will probably be working in the city, did you take at look around Wellington Point, Mango Hill by any chance.

Paula&Peter
We met at the salt cellar pub.
Hi Paula & Peter
It seems a long time ago since we met at the pub. How time flies when having fun.
I liked Buderim and I could easily live there but as mentioned it is just too far from the city for comfort. I did view W.Point (but not Mango Hill). W Point was very nice but there are no real beaches near by. Redland Bay is not the place if you are looking for a hop, skip & a jump onto golden sands. They are an hours drive away.
I feel we have two choices - living in the classic view of Oz ie the Sunshine coast or living in a less touristy part with easier access to city (and more jobs) and those type of things. At the moment my head favours the latter but my heart loves the former.
Rich
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi Paula & Peter
It seems a long time ago since we met at the pub. How time flies when having fun.
I liked Buderim and I could easily live there but as mentioned it is just too far from the city for comfort. I did view W.Point (but not Mango Hill). W Point was very nice but there are no real beaches near by. Redland Bay is not the place if you are looking for a hop, skip & a jump onto golden sands. They are an hours drive away.
I feel we have two choices - living in the classic view of Oz ie the Sunshine coast or living in a less touristy part with easier access to city (and more jobs) and those type of things. At the moment my head favours the latter but my heart loves the former.
Rich
Hi Rich
Are you sure you wouldn't be able to get a job near/on the sunshine coast? Your wife would have no problem getting a casual contract in any of the local hospitals. So, if you prefer the sunshine coast, it is a question of whether you can find employment. Look into it - there must be financial jobs here. Good luck where every you end up
Rachel
Old Apr 17th 2005, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Red face Re: Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Hi Paula & Peter
Rich
Hi Rich,

Like you we are are tourn between the two.
It all depends where Peter gets work i imagine, but we do want to live at least 20mins from the beach so i guess Wellington Point's out.

What was the weather like this time of year?

Anyone know how far away from a nice beach Mango Hill is?????

Nice to hear from you
Paula.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:09 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich -

Did you have a look at the Bayside area in Cleveland where Nikki is?

If so did it look nice?

Where were your fav places to live within commuting distance to Brisbane ie. under 1 hour commute? Like you me and my hubbie will probably have the same problem - I could get a job anywhere but he will more than likely get a city job although I have heard that more and more businesses are moving out of the city to take advantage of lower rentals - he is in engineering design so not sure where these companies are predominately placed?

Lynn
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Hello everyone,

I,ll jump on this thread as it is very interesting to our situation.There,s a couple of posters on the thread who know our dilemma of whether we should move to Perth or SE Queensland (hello paula,peter and rich)
Well the more we think on it the more we are coming round to the idea of going to the east coast.My research on the east coast has been on here or friends at the northwest meets who have been to this coast (we,ve only been to Perth) and it all sounds very appealing.
I,ve always liked the idea of Buderim/mountain creek due to the reports of the schools,affordable housing and fairly close to the beach
Anyway bye for now and if i think of anything we might need to know i,ll shout out.

dave
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shelley29
We are heading for Buderim on the Sunshine Coast around October time this year and wondered if anyone else was. It would be great to hear from people in the same boat us.

Anyone out there?
hi just reading your thread do you know how far Buderime is fro brisbane as we are hoping to go to oz on a regional visa and cant anywhere within 50km from brisbane. we cant decide where to go to

cheers G-man
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:13 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g-man
hi just reading your thread do you know how far Buderime is fro brisbane as we are hoping to go to oz on a regional visa and cant anywhere within 50km from brisbane. we cant decide where to go to

cheers G-man
I think Rich just said it was approx 100km away, but might b wrong!?

Lynn
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I think Rich just said it was approx 100km away, but might b wrong!?

Lynn

cheers this could be another possibility do you know what buderim like
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RReed
Hi Rich
Are you sure you wouldn't be able to get a job near/on the sunshine coast? Your wife would have no problem getting a casual contract in any of the local hospitals. So, if you prefer the sunshine coast, it is a question of whether you can find employment. Look into it - there must be financial jobs here. Good luck where every you end up
Rachel
Hi Rachel,
We also have to think about the children as well - if they go onoto college university then living southside would make things easier for them to commute. Moo is a long way of you are doing it 5 days a week.
Rich
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi Rich,

Like you we are are tourn between the two.
It all depends where Peter gets work i imagine, but we do want to live at least 20mins from the beach so i guess Wellington Point's out.

What was the weather like this time of year?
Paula.
Hi Paula
W Point has a small beach but not how you imagine Oz beaches to be (miles of sand with surf) so if beach is your need then Sunshine or Gold coast is definitely for you.
The weather when I was there for two weeks was mixed. What was constant was the temp - about 28 degs, and the water temp was 23 degs. In the last week it rained every day, usiually in the morning and at times quite hard. But they tended to be showers, rather than non stop drizzle, murky day. I wore nothing but T shirt, sandals and shorts.
If you have any other Qs just ask.
Rich
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Rich -

Did you have a look at the Bayside area in Cleveland where Nikki is?

If so did it look nice?

Where were your fav places to live within commuting distance to Brisbane ie. under 1 hour commute? Like you me and my hubbie will probably have the same problem - I could get a job anywhere but he will more than likely get a city job although I have heard that more and more businesses are moving out of the city to take advantage of lower rentals - he is in engineering design so not sure where these companies are predominately placed?

Lynn
Hi Lynn
Yes I had a good look at Cleveland area. My first impressions were that it was different to how I imagined it to be. The bayside area does not have beaches and golden sands - it is a bay with small headlands at Wellington Point, Cleveland and Vicky Point. I preferred the Cleveland area to say Manly and Wynnum and Alexandra Hills, Capalaba. It is quite a large place with dual carriageways for roads, quite USA in appearance (not just Cleveland but Bribane in general) with rather garish advertising signs. Shops tend to be congregated in small shopping precincts. Cleveland area had easy access to shops etc.

What struck me is that where there is older housing areas ie more established, then you can get a real run down place right next door to a super looking place - it was all a bit higgldy piggldy at times. But you get used to it after a while.
There are some v. expensive properties ie $1.5m in Cleveland around the Raby Bay waters and if you have $500,000 you could buy a very nice 4 bed house, probably get a pool or at least space for a pool. Plot size is a big factor in Oz. Newer plots that are for sale in the Thornlands area are about the 600m2 mark whereas older properties are quite ofen on 800m2 plus mark.
My recommendation would be to go soemwhere near the coast or at least on a hill if inland as that is where the breezes are which you will be glad of in summer.
Best wishes
Rich
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rachel,
We also have to think about the children as well - if they go onoto college university then living southside would make things easier for them to commute. Moo is a long way of you are doing it 5 days a week.
Rich
Sunshine coast has several tafe colleges, and a University, which has plans for expansion too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.