Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:55 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone heading for Buderim this year?

Wow, we are going to have some good parties when we all get together. There seems to be loads going to Buderim this year.

He He He.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelley29
Wow, we are going to have some good parties when we all get together. There seems to be loads going to Buderim this year.

He He He.
yep, we can be like a gang of west ham fans on a sat afternoon. our little britain in sunny buderim
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:26 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
yep, we can be like a gang of west ham fans on a sat afternoon. our little britain in sunny buderim

Are they more favourable to Notts. Forest/County fans on a Sat. afternoon. I don't like football apart from the occasional Eng. match. Hey, I'd better sort that out I'll be an aussie soon.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:57 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RReed
Hi Carolyn, Sorry to jump into a question you asked NAC. We are living in Moolooaba and have bought land in Buderim (going to build once we have jobs + mortgage). I think the 'good reputation' is for Mountain Creek High'. The primary schools which feed into it are all fairly good. My kids are 14 and 10. The eldest goes to Mountain Creek High, and so far it has been fantastic. My daughter goes to Mooloolaba Primary, and it has also been great. The drive to the beach depends on which part of Buderim you live in. You are looking at between 5-25 mins. Buderim is big, and house prices vary considerably. Not all of Buderim is in the Mountain Creek High zone. Depends what you want really. Happy to answer questions!
Rachel
Hi Rachel, don't be sorry - all help gratefully received It is very hard to get a perception of a place you have never been to! What is the other high school covering Buderim? Is there a particular part of the town that is 'better' than the other? Can you say what area (i.e. north, south etc) would cover Mountain Creek High School? We like the idea of the weather being a bit cooler - is there a part of the town that is higher than the rest? sorry for all the questions! We should be coming out in June for a bit of a nosey around but it would be great to get a better picture beforehand. Are there a lot of new developments or new houses being built in Buderim? Right, one final question! Do you know anything about class sizes? My little boy would be going to a small school here and has been at a nursery with just 12 kids so a smaller class would be important to us. We have seen that a lot of the primary schools in Oz are really big (1200) compared to Scotland. A big school here would have about 400 children but if the class sizes were smaller then it wouldn't be so bad. Sorry, I did say last question but I have one more Do you know anything about Siena Catholic Primary School? I think word of mouth is very important in chosing a school so any feedback, positive or negative would be great!
Sorry for badgering you!
Carolyn
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel

Another question or two for you!!

1. I run a computer business here in the UK (anything to do with PC's, laptops etc etc), my question is do you think I could do the same in Buderim (ie is there lots of people doing this already)?

2. I really want to get my son into Mountain Creek High, do you know what parts of Buderim come into the catchment area? (think this has been asked already)

Any help muchly appreciated
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Hi Carolyn
I've only been here 2 months, so I'm no expert but I'll try and answer your questions. I think there is a Buderim High School (state) and a Private High School - Immanuel I think. Not sure on this. All of Buderim is nice. Depends what you want and how much cash you have. It goes from Mountain Creek up a big hill. As you go up the hill you get fantastic views (and cooler) and houses with those views are very very expensive. Some hitting the $1 million mark.
The catchment area is roughly up to Cogill Rd. If you contact Mountain Creek high they will send you an enrolement pack with a map + zone in it (www.mtncreek.eq.edu.au). They are very strict about it and you have to take proof of your address before they will enrole.
There is a new development being built at the moment - Rainforst Sanctuary. This is not in the catchment area. Buderim is pretty much already developed with established housing. Occasional plots of land will turn up, especially at the end of Buderim furthest from the sea.
Class sizes are similar to the uk. My daughter is in a class of 30 at Mooloolaba. The population is expanding quickly here so you are unlikely to find small class sizes unless you are prepared to move further out. Don't know anything about Sienna Catholic Private School sorry.
Kevinbloomfield + computers: not sure. There are 'sort your computer out' places on the sunshine coast. Don't know about the demand. Sorry!
Rachel
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough

Hi Carolyn
I've only been here 2 months, so I'm no expert but I'll try and answer your questions. I think there is a Buderim High School (state) and a Private High School - Immanuel I think. Not sure on this. All of Buderim is nice. Depends what you want and how much cash you have. It goes from Mountain Creek up a big hill. As you go up the hill you get fantastic views (and cooler) and houses with those views are very very expensive. Some hitting the $1 million mark.
The catchment area is roughly up to Cogill Rd. If you contact Mountain Creek high they will send you an enrolement pack with a map + zone in it (www.mtncreek.eq.edu.au). They are very strict about it and you have to take proof of your address before they will enrole.
There is a new development being built at the moment - Rainforst Sanctuary. This is not in the catchment area. Buderim is pretty much already developed with established housing. Occasional plots of land will turn up, especially at the end of Buderim furthest from the sea.
Class sizes are similar to the uk. My daughter is in a class of 30 at Mooloolaba. The population is expanding quickly here so you are unlikely to find small class sizes unless you are prepared to move further out. Don't know anything about Sienna Catholic Private School sorry.
Kevinbloomfield + computers: not sure. There are 'sort your computer out' places on the sunshine coast. Don't know about the demand. Sorry!
Rachel

Hi Rachal ,

Just to help clarify the state high schools, There is no state high school in Buderim , if you are not in the Mountain Creek zone you will be in the Maroochydore High zone ,I beleve there is a new high school in Sippy Downs or Chancellor Park but I think it only goes up to year 9 at the moment .

Cheers
Ian & Kath
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ianp
Hi Rachal ,

Just to help clarify the state high schools, There is no state high school in Buderim , if you are not in the Mountain Creek zone you will be in the Maroochydore High zone ,I beleve there is a new high school in Sippy Downs or Chancellor Park but I think it only goes up to year 9 at the moment .

Cheers
Ian & Kath
Thanks Ian and Kath,
Wasn't sure but had driven past a Buderim School - must have been the primary. Thanks. One thing that has got me wondering... How come a bus load of kids from Kwana Waters go to Mountain Creek High. Kwana is not in the catchment area at all?
Rachel
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian and Kath,
Wasn't sure but had driven past a Buderim School - must have been the primary. Thanks. One thing that has got me wondering... How come a bus load of kids from Kwana Waters go to Mountain Creek High. Kwana is not in the catchment area at all?
Rachel
Hi Rachel

I think Minyama is in the school zone, I know some of the steets around Kawana shopping world are in the zone as well as we looked at some rentals there.

I saw on a previous post you have bought a block of land , We have some friends who are looking at different builders kit homes , have you sorted one out yet ?

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ianp
Hi Rachel

I think Minyama is in the school zone, I know some of the steets around Kawana shopping world are in the zone as well as we looked at some rentals there.

I saw on a previous post you have bought a block of land , We have some friends who are looking at different builders kit homes , have you sorted one out yet ?

Ian
Hi Ian
The best plan and price was Coral Homes. But, we need to get a mortgage to build!
Rachel
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ian
The best plan and price was Coral Homes. But, we need to get a mortgage to build!
Rachel
Thanks Rachel,

I will let them know.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:49 pm
At last! We're here!!!

alison_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NAC
Hi Rachel, don't be sorry - all help gratefully received It is very hard to get a perception of a place you have never been to! What is the other high school covering Buderim? Is there a particular part of the town that is 'better' than the other? Can you say what area (i.e. north, south etc) would cover Mountain Creek High School? We like the idea of the weather being a bit cooler - is there a part of the town that is higher than the rest? sorry for all the questions! We should be coming out in June for a bit of a nosey around but it would be great to get a better picture beforehand. Are there a lot of new developments or new houses being built in Buderim? Right, one final question! Do you know anything about class sizes? My little boy would be going to a small school here and has been at a nursery with just 12 kids so a smaller class would be important to us. We have seen that a lot of the primary schools in Oz are really big (1200) compared to Scotland. A big school here would have about 400 children but if the class sizes were smaller then it wouldn't be so bad. Sorry, I did say last question but I have one more Do you know anything about Siena Catholic Primary School? I think word of mouth is very important in chosing a school so any feedback, positive or negative would be great!
Sorry for badgering you!
Carolyn
Hi,
Sorry to butt in on all the messages, but rarely do I see posts from so many people coming to live here!
We live in Mountain Creek, my eldest goes to Mt Creek High and started in Yr 9 (having missed Yr8) due to her age this year, although seems to be absolutely fine with it all and loves the school. It is a HUGE school with over 2000 children and our daughter came from a relatively small secondary school in the UK, at Mt Creek however, they have broken the school down into 4 sub schools, which all have their own teaching staff and administration staff, so in some ways they are just a small school within a school. You will see from the info you receive that they operate two starting times, Yr 8,9 start at 10.30 am and finish at 4.05pm and Yrs 10,11,12 start at 7.30am and finish at 1.00 pm!! this can be awkward with taking and fetching if you have children in primary and High or in diff years in High school and you don't live within cycling distance! Our son goes to the Primary across the road and has settled in well having come from a school with just over 100 children to this huge primary with 1300 children, this has taken some getting use to.Class sizes are much the same as the uk prob about 27 in primary classes.
You mention Siena college, my daughter has a friend there and she loves it, so much so that she was encouraging her to switch schools, which I was more than happy to consider as it is a much smaller school with 750 kids, however, we are not Catholic and it is virtually impossible to get in unless you are, I have the application form and will put in through cos you never know... ... although they do have a 'stack' of applications from non-catholics.
We are renting in Mt Creek, houses to rent in the catchment area are few and far between, especially in Nov time when people move up the coast for the start of the new school year. We had a choice of one house last year and fortunately it is very nice, fairly new and have great neighbours. Rentals vary from $320 pw up to $380 pwk.
We have bought land in Rainforest Sanctuary, its very nice there, abit away from shops etc but good setting. There is the private school 'Matthew Flinders' I am told its about $10k p.a per child and then nearer is the new school at Chancellor Park (near Siena) which also has a good reputation.
Oh well, if i can help anyone moving this way then give me a shout, I am no expert but can tell you what we found difficult etc..
My hubbie is also an electrician, there are a mound of jobs advertised, but bear in mind you need that b****y licence before you can work and its not that easy to get!! there are contractors however, that will employ you on a 'mates' rate! and maybe this is the way to go.. my hubbie has been lucky and now works in the air-con industry!

Best of Luck to you ALL & see you when you arrive (?)

Alison
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:07 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou to Alison, Rachel and everyone else who has given such great info. It is very much appreciated - hope to see you all later this year!!
Carolyn
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just add a couple of schools etc that have not been mentioned.

Privates - Matthew flinders is supposed to be the best of all but has waiting lists for many grades, and there is a grammar school at Forest glen which is the back of buderim down the western side not the beach side. The University is on the border of buderim and sippy downs. The Tafe college is on the same street as the mountain creek schools. Most of buderim is in the area for the state high school at mountain creek, I'm building 2 contracts in buderim now, ones right down mons road area the other right on top in the village and school buses pick up both areas for mountain creek High.

New estates in buderim are Rainforest sanctuary which is at the bottom of buderim heading out to sippy downs its going to be a mixture of houses and a large development of Flats too, theres another brand new estate started almost directly opposite it, but it looks quite flat and bland to me. Timberdale estate is a smaller estate, houses only with lots of trees and hills, less estatey feel, think the entrance is off dixon road.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:25 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just add a couple of schools etc that have not been mentioned.

Privates - Matthew flinders is supposed to be the best of all but has waiting lists for many grades, and there is a grammar school at Forest glen which is the back of buderim down the western side not the beach side. The University is on the border of buderim and sippy downs. The Tafe college is on the same street as the mountain creek schools. Most of buderim is in the area for the state high school at mountain creek, I'm building 2 contracts in buderim now, ones right down mons road area the other right on top in the village and school buses pick up both areas for mountain creek High.

New estates in buderim are Rainforest sanctuary which is at the bottom of buderim heading out to sippy downs its going to be a mixture of houses and a large development of Flats too, theres another brand new estate started almost directly opposite it, but it looks quite flat and bland to me. Timberdale estate is a smaller estate, houses only with lots of trees and hills, less estatey feel, think the entrance is off dixon road.
Thanks for that, now, just 2 more questions!
1. How long would it take to drive to Siena Catholic School at Sippy Downs from Buderim (if you were living right in Buderim itself)?
2. How long is the drive to Nambour from Buderim? Just thinking about work now (I'm a nurse) and I know there is a large hospital there but don't know if it is realistic to commute to. Also (I think that's 3 questions now!! ) what kind of town is Nambour?
Thankyou everyone!
Carolyn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.