Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone heading to brisbane in mid june?

anyone heading to brisbane in mid june?

Old May 30th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default anyone heading to brisbane in mid june?

18 more days to go and counting...... managed to rent a place already.. but feeling a bit nervous here
Old May 30th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone heading to brisbane in mid june?

Congratulations! Very jealous of finding a rental already. I ended up with a furnished rental for 6 weeks until we find a house.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
Congratulations! Very jealous of finding a rental already. I ended up with a furnished rental for 6 weeks until we find a house.
actually went through a private owner. its easier that way i guess... realestate ppl have too many ppl in line i guess

btw. where do u stay ?
Old May 30th 2011, 6:52 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mala
actually went through a private owner. its easier that way i guess... realestate ppl have too many ppl in line i guess

btw. where do u stay ?
Where did you look to find private rentals? We're heading in August and to be able to arrange a rental before we go would be great.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Where did you look to find private rentals? We're heading in August and to be able to arrange a rental before we go would be great.
Anyone renting privately needs to make sure that their landlord is doing it by the book - proper bond, contract etc. You can check all the Qld rules here http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/ and the other States have similar bodies.
I knew one who insisted on cash payments, no contract, just receipts torn out of a notebook. He did no maintenance and there was no way of insisting on it cos there was nothing to even prove the tenants lived there.

There are plenty of decent private landlords around but there are also some dodgy ones; no contract, no bond = no protection, so be careful
Old May 31st 2011, 5:24 pm
Prepare yourself Brisbane

Dave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the roughDave.McLeod is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone renting privately needs to make sure that their landlord is doing it by the book - proper bond, contract etc. You can check all the Qld rules here http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/ and the other States have similar bodies.
I knew one who insisted on cash payments, no contract, just receipts torn out of a notebook. He did no maintenance and there was no way of insisting on it cos there was nothing to even prove the tenants lived there.

There are plenty of decent private landlords around but there are also some dodgy ones; no contract, no bond = no protection, so be careful
Thanks for the heads up Pollyana...

We of course will be looking for a contract before we agree anything.

I just realised Gumtree had rentals advertised....is there anywhere else...I've already looked at realestate.com.au

Thanks
Old May 31st 2011, 5:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave.McLeod
Thanks for the heads up Pollyana...

We of course will be looking for a contract before we agree anything.

I just realised Gumtree had rentals advertised....is there anywhere else...I've already looked at realestate.com.au

Thanks
Thats the main ones I know though word of mouth can also work - lots of people on here do short term rentals, they may know of somewhere but its a case of them seeing your post or you seeing their signatures!
Glad you are already onto the contract thing - I walked into a pre-arranged shared rental and only afterwards found out how dodgy the whole set-up was. I'd hate anyone else to get caught like that.