Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman?

Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman?

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman?

Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman and had them passed by TRA? heard someone had theirs signed by a dentist!!
could i do a deal with a solicitors?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman?

Originally Posted by davyboy
Anyone had their stat decs/Quals signed by a policeman and had them passed by TRA? heard someone had theirs signed by a dentist!!

as far as i know you cant!!

it has to be a notary public, solicitor, magistrate etc, not police or nurses
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
as far as i know you cant!!

it has to be a notary public, solicitor, magistrate etc, not police or nurses
I was told by my Agent that police can't sign. Only solicitors, judges etc
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

We had our stat decs,certified copies and all our other important documents signed by my cousin, a superintendent in the NI police. He got his offical stampie things out and we scanned copies of his business card on the backs of all the pages and we had no probs (even better it only cost us some Bushmills whisky for about 80pages). He was also able to officially witness our stat declaration of name change, and apparently has the same legal status as a notary or solicitor in that respect. Just remember to have all contact details and offical stamps done so they can contact them, not that Bob was ever checked up.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viccollie
We had our stat decs,certified copies and all our other important documents signed by my cousin, a superintendent in the NI police. He got his offical stampie things out and we scanned copies of his business card on the backs of all the pages and we had no probs (even better it only cost us some Bushmills whisky for about 80pages). He was also able to officially witness our stat declaration of name change, and apparently has the same legal status as a notary or solicitor in that respect. Just remember to have all contact details and offical stamps done so they can contact them, not that Bob was ever checked up.

I thought he meant just a normal constable??. Which is a no or so I was told anyway.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I thought he meant just a normal constable??. Which is a no or so I was told anyway.
a normal everyday cop cant but as he was a top dog, i suppose thats different!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

viccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura aboutviccollie has a spectacular aura about

Bob will be well impressed being called a 'topdog', being the only man in a family of girlies he's not used to compliments!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by viccollie
Bob will be well impressed being called a 'topdog', being the only man in a family of girlies he's not used to compliments!

Hehe
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:23 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We had our stuff for TRA signed by a friend who`s also a WPC and didn`t have any probs. I`ve been told however that for the Visa app it has to be a lawyer or JP etc
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:33 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

In law, a superintendent doesn't carry anymore weight with this sort of thing than a normal PC. His 'Topdogness' derives from his responsibilities in terms of prisoner detention, search authorisations etc.

Generally, police officers (probably wrongly) don't qualify as legal proffessionals, as they have no formal qualifications in law, and have no right to practice or offer to practice in a legal capacity. Ironically, a Police Sergeant has to have a greater knowledge of criminal law than a Magistrates Clerk, who is. And gets paid much more too!

As to what to do in this situation, well, I'll leave that to your better judgement...

S
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:28 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

We had everything for our TRA signed by a policeman this was only last month and it all came back ok.
He didn't stamp or anything - just wrote 'this is a true copy of an original' signed and dated then put his home address and mobile number...Suppose we were lucky.

Last edited by glennandkate; Feb 22nd 2006 at 5:31 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough

I mailed TRA and they told me a Policeman can sign state decs.

regards
Rich
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by glennandkate
We had everything for our TRA signed by a policeman this was only last month and it all came back ok.
He didn't stamp or anything - just wrote 'this is a true copy of an original' signed and dated then put his home address and mobile number...Suppose we were lucky.
Ditto for us, a friend who is a DCI, just signed 'true copy of the original' and everything was fine.