Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone going off to Canberra?

Anyone going off to Canberra?

Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:31 am
Just Joined

google is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone going off to Canberra?

A friend told me it's a bad choice, as the life is so boring there, and lots of folks in Canberra are so stuck-up.

Is that true?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:56 am
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone going off to Canberra?

Originally Posted by google
A friend told me it's a bad choice, as the life is so boring there, and lots of folks in Canberra are so stuck-up.

Is that true?
Hi
I am off to Canberra in May 05. There are at least 3 others heading that way within the next few months. I think Canberra will be whatever you make of it, it is ideally situated for travelling to Sydney, Melbourne, the coast and the mountains. The area has a low crime rate, the housing is not to expensive and their certainly is plenty to see and do around the area. Most people heading that way are on a sponsored visa, not sure on your reason for wanting to go to Canberra. Take a look at this thread it may be of some help: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:21 am
Just Joined

google is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much , RockHopper.

I'm looking to migrate to Australia, and since Canberra is its capital, I thought it might be a good idea to settle there, at least some tourist agencies told me it's the most beautiful city there with a fabulous lake.

But after some research on the web, it turned out that Canberra is just a small town of abt 350,000 residents, which got me wondering why folks in Australia don't bother to move there, if it was indeed what it's all cracked up to be.

Anyway, I'm not going any time soon, and would like to hear some feedback from you guys before making a decision.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Thanks very much , RockHopper.

I'm looking to migrate to Australia, and since Canberra is its capital, I thought it might be a good idea to settle there, at least some tourist agencies told me it's the most beautiful city there with a fabulous lake.

But after some research on the web, it turned out that Canberra is just a small town of abt 350,000 residents, which got me wondering why folks in Australia don't bother to move there, if it was indeed what it's all cracked up to be.

Anyway, I'm not going any time soon, and would like to hear some feedback from you guys before making a decision.
I'm heading to Canberra. The only thing I miss there is the ocean nearby, is probably one of the reasons why people don't move there. You must keep in mind that most of the people who find Canberra boring have never been there. I think it's a beautiful spacious town, not as crowded a Sydney or others, but bigger than Townsville or Rockhampton (my other choices), which might make the difference when your dependant on finding a job. I hear the schools (government or private) generally have a good reputation, which is important to me as a mother. Some of the people coming from Europe enjoy the fact that they have the four seasons there.

Lavinia
Old Mar 20th 2005, 10:47 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

I'm there too, and Rockhopper and Lavinia have it spot on. I just got back from 3 days in sydney and it was enough for me! Give me canberra anyday.

very informative arn't i? sorry i just woke up.....zzzzzzzz
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:11 am
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scutterUK
I'm there too, and Rockhopper and Lavinia have it spot on. I just got back from 3 days in sydney and it was enough for me! Give me canberra anyday.

very informative arn't i? sorry i just woke up.....zzzzzzzz
Hi Scutter

You still living and working in Canberra, have you not had any luck on the job front in Sydney? Not long now till we come across, should be in Canberra by the third week in May 05. Great to hear you still enjoy Canberra and that life in Oz doesn’t just revolve around the main coastal cities.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:36 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Hi Scutter

You still living and working in Canberra, have you not had any luck on the job front in Sydney? Not long now till we come across, should be in Canberra by the third week in May 05. Great to hear you still enjoy Canberra and that life in Oz doesn’t just revolve around the main coastal cities.
Hi there. Yup i'm still in sunny canberra. I only applied for a few jobs up in syndey before my plans changed for the better here. I was offered a 12 month contract with a local design agency to cover for their production manager when she goes on maternity leave in august. i've got a few projects on the go for a friend which should be all done by then so it was perfect timing. However i met this lass in canberra who i've been seeing a lot of since january so my thoughts are far from moving to sydney at the moment.

Glad to hear you're on your way. May isn't far away, i bet you're getting those itchy feet now eh? What are your plans when you arrive, do you know where in canberra you'll be staying yet? I can thoroughly recommend the south side, you get the views of the mountains and nothings too far away.

You'll be coming to canberra in all it's glory. It's beautiful at the moment, the days aren't too hot, and the nights aren't too cold. Although we did have 30+ degree days last weekend which then changed to very low 20's a few days later - i love that about canberra though. however by the time you'll be here you we should be seeing a few COLD nights so bring those jumpers! Last time i came i landed at the end of may and we had some nights that dropped down to -8! but then the next day was still 15 and sunny. I was talking to this old lady on a bus yesterday about it and she says you can still head to the coast when it's cold in canberra and have 20+ degree days so it's perfect for me.

I can't believe i've been here 6 months already! I should get round to doing a 6 month update for the masses at some point. It's funny though everything is just starting to settle, although i still feel like i'm on holiday! I keep expecting someone to kick me out and tell me to go home any day. It's the best move i ever made, although my reasons for leaving were personal, it was what my life needed.... oh yeah and i got to buy a new bike too!

anyway, keep in touch! i can't wait for there to be enough people in canberra to have an ACT meet!

Leigh
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:40 am
Living the Dream

Hi there. Yup i'm still in sunny canberra. I only applied for a few jobs up in syndey before my plans changed for the better here. I was offered a 12 month contract with a local design agency to cover for their production manager when she goes on maternity leave in august. i've got a few projects on the go for a friend which should be all done by then so it was perfect timing. However i met this lass in canberra who i've been seeing a lot of since january so my thoughts are far from moving to sydney at the moment.

Glad to hear you're on your way. May isn't far away, i bet you're getting those itchy feet now eh? What are your plans when you arrive, do you know where in canberra you'll be staying yet? I can thoroughly recommend the south side, you get the views of the mountains and nothings too far away.

You'll be coming to canberra in all it's glory. It's beautiful at the moment, the days aren't too hot, and the nights aren't too cold. Although we did have 30+ degree days last weekend which then changed to very low 20's a few days later - i love that about canberra though. however by the time you'll be here you we should be seeing a few COLD nights so bring those jumpers! Last time i came i landed at the end of may and we had some nights that dropped down to -8! but then the next day was still 15 and sunny. I was talking to this old lady on a bus yesterday about it and she says you can still head to the coast when it's cold in canberra and have 20+ degree days so it's perfect for me.

I can't believe i've been here 6 months already! I should get round to doing a 6 month update for the masses at some point. It's funny though everything is just starting to settle, although i still feel like i'm on holiday! I keep expecting someone to kick me out and tell me to go home any day. It's the best move i ever made, although my reasons for leaving were personal, it was what my life needed.... oh yeah and i got to buy a new bike too!

anyway, keep in touch! i can't wait for there to be enough people in canberra to have an ACT meet!

Leigh
Leigh

Glad to hear it’s still sunny. It’s finally sinking in that we are about to move, but with still so much to organise. As I will be working at the Harman Naval Base between Queanbeyan and Fyshwick it may be that we will initially rent in South Canberra, but as for buying we will have to way up all the areas before making that decision. The other Steve should have landed in Canberra last week and I reckon there will be another 3 of us before the end of the year, we should all arrange to meet for a drink or two.

Steve B
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:01 am
life begins again...

Originally Posted by RockHopper
Leigh

Glad to hear it’s still sunny. It’s finally sinking in that we are about to move, but with still so much to organise. As I will be working at the Harman Naval Base between Queanbeyan and Fyshwick it may be that we will initially rent in South Canberra, but as for buying we will have to way up all the areas before making that decision. The other Steve should have landed in Canberra last week and I reckon there will be another 3 of us before the end of the year, we should all arrange to meet for a drink or two.

Steve B
i think i opened my mouth too soon... it just started raining.

yeah you do right, queanbeyan is quite nice and houses are a little cheaper out that way. Also it takes less time to get to the city from there than it does from the south.

I'm slowly starting to think about buying a place, but i'm not looking until the back end of this year. I had planned on looking in april but i want to see how things go with m'sheila first. It's all heading in the right direction so i might be getting a place with her if all our plans work out.... but hey! who knows.

it sounds like a drink will definitely be on, we might even have to post a message about it if there's going to be that many here!

...oh well back to work!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Marie01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that true?
Well, my husband and I live in Canberra and we are not stuck-up! My husband moved here from the UK 16 years ago and I arrived 9 years ago from Germany. We love it. Even when I first arrived, single and in my early thirties, I had a great time. I spent my time rollerblading along the lake, going swimming every day, bushwalking on weekends and going out most evenings. Many of my single friends complained about Canberra being boring, but they didn't make any effort to go out and do things. Now that I have a family I appreciate this city even more. Hardly any traffic jams, you can be anywhere in just a few minutes, many parks, lots of things happening on weekends. We live in a beautiful house with lovely views of the Brindabellas (snow-capped in Winter!) which we could never afford in a city like Sydney and Melbourne. But if you are a real city person, this is probably not the place for you. Oh..and by yhe way, if you are single...the single man-single woman ratio in Canberra is 1 to 3.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:30 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marie01
Oh..and by yhe way, if you are single...the single man-single woman ratio in Canberra is 1 to 3.
Yep, Canberra is also known as The Bush Capital.

I've been meaning to do a detailed posting on Canberra but haven't got around to it yet as I've been working my arse off in Sydney. I will soon.

Big.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, Yep I'm here,(AKA sungold the originator of this thread) - started work the day after I arrived (last Wed) jetlag has worn off and I am looking for a place to live, buy a car etc -all those things that you have to do as soon as you arrive.

Even though it has rained here (which is quite a rarity apparently) it doesnt last long and the sun soon comes back out.

I seem to have got here at the right time having had three bank holidays in just over a week! I've got a four day weekend ahead of me so lots of chance to explore Canberra and I might even brave my first bushwalk by venturing out of the city.

Seeing as its a long w/e and I'll be here by myself (wife and kids dont follow till August) - I could do with that drink if any of you in Canberra want to get in touch. I'm staying temporarily at the Capital Apts in the city by the lake - my number is 02 6276 3452. If I'm not there you can try and leave a message but I havent figured out how to use their phone yet so you may have to just try again when I am in. I havent got access to a computer so once I leave work thats the only way to get in touch. I guess I should have logged on to this forum a bit before 5 pm on the day before easter - but then once you arrive you have so many things to do.......

Cheers Steve

i think i opened my mouth too soon... it just started raining.

yeah you do right, queanbeyan is quite nice and houses are a little cheaper out that way. Also it takes less time to get to the city from there than it does from the south.

I'm slowly starting to think about buying a place, but i'm not looking until the back end of this year. I had planned on looking in april but i want to see how things go with m'sheila first. It's all heading in the right direction so i might be getting a place with her if all our plans work out.... but hey! who knows.

it sounds like a drink will definitely be on, we might even have to post a message about it if there's going to be that many here!

...oh well back to work!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Marie - See my reply to ScutterUK. I'd love to meet up - my wife is german so we should have lots to talk about.

Steve

Originally Posted by Marie01
Well, my husband and I live in Canberra and we are not stuck-up! My husband moved here from the UK 16 years ago and I arrived 9 years ago from Germany. We love it. Even when I first arrived, single and in my early thirties, I had a great time. I spent my time rollerblading along the lake, going swimming every day, bushwalking on weekends and going out most evenings. Many of my single friends complained about Canberra being boring, but they didn't make any effort to go out and do things. Now that I have a family I appreciate this city even more. Hardly any traffic jams, you can be anywhere in just a few minutes, many parks, lots of things happening on weekends. We live in a beautiful house with lovely views of the Brindabellas (snow-capped in Winter!) which we could never afford in a city like Sydney and Melbourne. But if you are a real city person, this is probably not the place for you. Oh..and by yhe way, if you are single...the single man-single woman ratio in Canberra is 1 to 3.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:24 pm
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by Sungold
Hi All, Yep I'm here,(AKA sungold the originator of this thread) - started work the day after I arrived (last Wed) jetlag has worn off and I am looking for a place to live, buy a car etc -all those things that you have to do as soon as you arrive.

Even though it has rained here (which is quite a rarity apparently) it doesnt last long and the sun soon comes back out.

I seem to have got here at the right time having had three bank holidays in just over a week! I've got a four day weekend ahead of me so lots of chance to explore Canberra and I might even brave my first bushwalk by venturing out of the city.

Seeing as its a long w/e and I'll be here by myself (wife and kids dont follow till August) - I could do with that drink if any of you in Canberra want to get in touch. I'm staying temporarily at the Capital Apts in the city by the lake - my number is 02 6276 3452. If I'm not there you can try and leave a message but I havent figured out how to use their phone yet so you may have to just try again when I am in. I havent got access to a computer so once I leave work thats the only way to get in touch. I guess I should have logged on to this forum a bit before 5 pm on the day before easter - but then once you arrive you have so many things to do.......

Cheers Steve
G'day Steve

Glad to hear you made it Canberra OK. What are your first impressions of the place, is it as you expected? Well we are planning on being in Canberra around the 17 May 05 and really looking forward to our trip across. Had 2 quotes for removals today, door to door full packing service the lot:
Britannia quoted: £4300
Bonner quoted: £3850
Thats for sole use of 20Ft Container, loaded with around 600 - 700 cuft of goods. We have a few other quotes to come and will make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

Enjoy the sun while it's still there, hope to see you in a few months.